Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Fixing pentax kr edial issue

Godd day everyone I want to share my experience fixing the most common problem on kr and maybe other models too which is the edial. Most common is that you cant go back or is erratic. As many sites says is a lubricant problem and is correct. In deed I found the solution in this page I just want to complement that solution and make it more ilustrative or step by step. You can see the solution in this video.

Regards.

07-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very good well done,very usefull even with the spelling mistakes
I sent mine in under warranty and it came back fixed of course the report that came with the camera said no fault found, but it never happened again.

Bonus was it came back witha battery which gave me a spare.
02-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.
would the solution and steps be the same for the K-7? I'm having problems with the front e-dial; jumps when trying to go below 1/30 of a second sometimes.
cheers,
pa.
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I did this on an ist ds. Actually went a bit further and removed the e-wheel to get direct access to the switch.
There is a risk of splashing the sensor so I packed cloth around the switch and sprayed PF electrical solvent in to wash to switch.
The camera worked fine for about 3 months, now it is getting occasionally intermittent e-dial again.

The e-dial is really necessary when the camera is in Manual mode with M lenses.
Also I think if the camera is sitting on the shelf, it is helpful to exercise all the buttons and switches every few months.

03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

edial revisited, ad nauseum

I suppose there is always a first time for everyone but a simple search through these pages will give you all the info you need. But here's a word of advice - when spraying cleaning fluid into the edial, hold the camera upside down so that the dissolved lubricant and solvent does not drip down on the electronics below the edial.

And yes, you will have to redo it once in a while but dont overdo it. The lubricant does serve a good purpose but Pentax put too much into the dial. If it dries out, you will wear the contacts away prematurely. Make sure it is electronic circuit board cleaning fluid - it is a special chemical and is expensive but cheaper than sending the camera in for 'repair'. Dont use anything else - this is NB!