Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #1

split focusing screen on K-r

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sorry to ask a dumb question. I am just wondering if you are using split focusing screen, but your focusing point (red dot) is not on the center. I mean that maybe you want to focus on the top right corner of your screen. Will the focusing screen (image) still split even the AF (red dot) shows that image is focused?? Thanks for answering my question.

07-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am using a split screen on my K-5. In manual focus mode I do not actually care what the AF indicator tells me. In my experience it is better to know your lens, how it behaves and adjust your focusing routine to it.

The split screen does not disturb the AF for me, but some lenses do need AF adjustment. Don't remember if the the K-r has that feature...
07-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmarkku Quote
The split screen does not disturb the AF for me, but some lenses do need AF adjustment. Don't remember if the the K-r has that feature...
K-r has a system wide Auto Focus Adjustment.
07-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
What if u want to focus on the corner of your screen, will the screen still split? Or you always need to focus on the center?
By the way, 45 degrees and 180 degrees split focusing screen which will be better? Thanks for the reply

07-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The split image screen (I have one on my Km) is a focusing aid in the center of the screen. While you can focus in the corner using the corner of the screen I find it easier and faster to focus on my subject using the center then repositioning the camera to put the subject where you want it in the frame.

Hans
07-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Hans. Which type for focusing screen are u using? I saw their are 45 degrees and 180 degrees (small in the center), also the 180 degrees (bigger in the center). Which one will u prefer?

180° Focusing Screen For Pentax K100 K200 KM KX KR

Single 180° Split image focusing screen For Pentax K100D K200D K-M KR KX KM K-R

Double 45° Split Image Focusing Screen For Pentax K200 K100 KM KX KR dslr camera

because this is my first time trying the split focusing screen, so I decided to buy the cheap one as beginner

Thanks
08-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At the time I ordered mine only the 180' was available. My Km does not have in focus indicators in the finder like my Kr so I use the split image as an indication for auto lenses and to focus for manual lenses. I have the small 180. On my old film Pentax SLR's I preferred the 45' over the 180' because you never see a 45' line in nature but you see many 180' that you can't split so sometimes I hold my Km at an angle to focus. I chose not to replace the screen on my Kr because the in focus indicators in the finder also work for manual lenses when you leave the autofocus mode ON when using manual lenses and that works great for me

Hans

08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
One techique using a split screen is to rotate your camera to get the best angle for the sake of focusing. Once you get your focus right, just re-compose and shoot.