Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #1

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Failure

I bought my K-r last September. I never used the flash as I just haven't had the need. Last night was the last night in a six week course on photography (basically a get me out of auto course) and we focused on night photography and flash use. My flash just doesn't work. It pops up but will not let you take a picture. We tried all kinds of things and nothing happened. It was like the shutter was stuck. As soon as you put down the flash you could take a picture. I have a cheap fleabay external flash and it works but not the one on the camera. Any ideas?

As soon as I can it will get brought into my camera shop for a warranty repair.

Thanks,

bigted

08-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same problem. Will your camera autofocus with the flash up? Mine doesn't.
I never solved it, just bought an external flash.
08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Original Poster
Interesting, mine also won't focus with the flash up too.

I'll check in to see what they can do and I'll post with an update.

Last edited by bigted; 08-10-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Poor Grammar :(
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm interested to see the solution...
PS : Another thing...if the battery is low, switch on liveview and the battery indicator will say that its full...

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 08-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Apparently the flash isn't charging. Anyway I have sent it in for repair. I'll let you know what they do/tell me when I get it back in 4-8 weeks (yikes).
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Had that same problem. I tried to find out why it wont take the shot when the flash was up. I allowed my shutter to be released when the flash hasn't charged yet(there's a custom option for this) and it took the shot. Had it repaired, seems that it was grounded and now it works again. Hope for the best for your K-r
09-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markooo Quote
Had that same problem. I tried to find out why it wont take the shot when the flash was up. I allowed my shutter to be released when the flash hasn't charged yet(there's a custom option for this) and it took the shot. Had it repaired, seems that it was grounded and now it works again. Hope for the best for your K-r
Hello markooo!
How fast and cheap was the fix?
I'm thinking about repairing mine
Thank you

09-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #8

Mine was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay anything. It took around 2 weeks, but it might be faster over at your side . I'm in the Philippines so I'm not sure how fast it would be in your area.
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well it took 5 weeks, but I now have my much missed K-r back in my hands. Boy did I miss it. Anyway, they fixed the flash, updated the firmware, cleaned it outside and out. All of which was done under warranty so other than a nominal fee to have it sent in, it was free. I hated the wait, but I am really glad I sent it in.
The only downside is that the trip to the store had me ordering a new lens .

Last edited by bigted; 10-05-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo