Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by pericombobulation Quote
Funny you mention it, as my K-r recently came back from Pentax for repairs. I too was living with the battery holder as my solution to the mirror flop issue until fate stepped in and the camera took a turn for the worse. I turned it on one day and all it would do was beep at me. Called support and the said send it in. Two weeks later I had it back, fixed under warranty. They replaced the aperture unit and it is working great now. I'm pleased to report a positive experience with Pentax support. They answered the phone right away, knew what the issue was and how to fix it, and turned it around quickly. I think they give you a 30 day grace period on the warranty - if it's still covered, I'd recommend sending it in!
Any idea what the cost of the fix would be out-of-pocket? I'm long past the warranty.

Thanks, Jim

11-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #32

Oops! Just saw that someone posted the cost already. Sorry!
02-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
Here's a new input to an old thread. I hope it's still timely.

Try putting an tin foil where the contact pins are. It solved my problem.

I've been having the same mirror flop issue with my manual focus lenses. The mirror sometimes flop and refuses to come down completely after an optical preview or exposure reading. Sometimes the camera just simply lock up. I sent it back twice to fix and both times it came back, the technician insisted that there was nothing wrong with it. So I suspected it may be caused by the lens itself.

If you noticed, the mirror and aperture can only function correctly if all the contacts are fully shorted. Sometimes there is wear on the mount where the contact points touch, so the short is intermittent. I thought maybe the lens mount is not fully shorting the contacts so I reinforced the connection by sandwiching a tin foil between the contact points and the mount. Bingo, no more mirror flop!

The perfect explanation would be that not all the spring loaded contact pins may not touch the lens mount. The metal lens mount will function as a common point to short them out. So stuffing a conductive foil in between improves the contact. Cleaning the lens mount and contact point will help too, but stuffing a foil in between is better. Or else, use AA batteries.

I still wonder why the mirror flop does not happen with AA batteries. I hope my next Pentax camera would not require me to tinker and hack to work properly
Can you upload a photo of how it is resolved with tin foil

regards
02-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fixed my K-r flopping issues!

I sold it and upgraded to a s/h low shutter count K5! Superior IQ, no flopping and more correct exposure with M42 lenses etc in Av.

( I still think the flopping issue is rooted in a firmware glitch).