Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Mirror flop issue

I have read a lot of threads on this but they all seem to be a bit different. The problem I'm experiencing happens only with one particular lens. The smc-a 50mm 1.7

The camera will work fine for a little while when using this lens, but then the mirror will start flopping sporadically when the shutter button is pressed without actually triggering the shutter. Sometimes the camera will lose all power right afterwards and wont turn back on till I remove and replace the battery. This happens with both a third party and oem battery.

It does not happen with any other lens besides this one. So far I have used the 18-55 kit lens, a 70-200 sigma, a vivitar 28-210 and a smc-a 50mm 2.0

Any suggestions?

08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Someone else had this issue with a particular lens recently, and it turned out to be a slightly bent aperture lever. Have a read here and see if it matches your problem.

If that doesn't solve your problem, try cleaning the contacts on both camera and lens. This is good practice anyway, but contact issues are common and can cause all kinds of weirdness.
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

I've had that same issue with my k-r sporadically flopping on a -M 100mm macro; it would flop when any button was pressed (d-pad, green button, menu, everything, half-shutter, everything). The only consistent remedy I found was using AAs in the battery holder rather than the stock rechargable. Hope this helps.

Best.

-Red
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

My K-r recently started doing this when I use my macro extension tubes. Any suggestions on how to make it stop?

08-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this exact same problem and as red773 has already said using AA BATTERIES IN THE HOLDER worked!
i bought two cheap battery holders from ebay and i have had no problem with them.
08-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

OK, I'll give it a try, thanks!
08-31-2012, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
I think, sometimes the K-r goes to nirvana .

This will help:
1. Power off your K-r and unload the accumulator. Demount the lens.
2. Look in front of your K-r. On the left side there is a grey aperture lever. Move this aperture down and hold this position.
3. Insert the accumulator, close the cover and activate your camara. Take a shot if you like (without lens).

This will fix the problem in all circumstance I ever had with mirror flops.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by hopsing; 08-31-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: edit
08-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #8

Thank you hopsing. I had to look up what an accumulator was, as I'm not familiar with that word in relation to cameras. I think the accumulator is the rechargeable battery?

When you say it fixes the problem, do you mean permanently, or just until the next time?

Thanks!
08-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

Yes, rechargeable battery. This will fix it permanently if there is no technical defect.
10-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Recently, the problem graduated to the point where it is happening with all my lenses. I tried the fix with the lever, but it didn't work. The lever only moves down two millimeters or so . Is this correct? I am really running out of options here... my last chance is to try AA batteries.
10-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #11

I'm afraid the aperture lever trick didn't work with mine either. I got a AA battery adapter from eBay and I'm happy to report that it does indeed stop the mirror from flopping. It's working fine now. My only question is, is it worth sending the camera back to Pentax for repairs before the warranty is up, or just using the AA adapter with my extension tubes (which is the only time it ever flopped)?
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
My opinion, and your mileage may vary.... it is taking a lot more torque to actuate the lens aperture lever when you connect it through extension tube linkage. Added torque would equate to an instantaneous demand for more power. My opinion is a well-charged set of AA batteries is better capable of supplying that short burst of power than the standard Pentax LiON battery. When you suck that hard on the LiON battery, you are likely starving your other camera's functions.
10-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #13

Thanks, but the extension tubes are dumb... they don't connect to the aperture lever at all.
10-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by pericombobulation Quote
Thanks, but the extension tubes are dumb... they don't connect to the aperture lever at all.
Hmmm, then I assume you are manually presetting your aperture via the ring on your lens (not using the 'A' setting).

Any chance the flange on your extension tube is catching the camera's aperture actuator? If so, your camera will be pushing with all its might against the extension tube and sucking down power the same as described in my previous post. This should be easy to check by mounting an extension without a lens and looking into the camera body. If the answer isn't obvious, try taking a bulb exposure and see the aperture actuator moves smoothly.

Also in a stopped down environment your metering system may be working harder, but I honestly have no idea if that would make any difference.
10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #15

Correct, I am using the aperture ring on the lens. I will do as you suggest and check if any part of the tube may be catching on the aperture lever. Thanks for the suggestion!