Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Hi-Speed Shooting vs Single Frame Shooting?

Is there any point shooting single frame when both modes shoot at the same resolution? You may aswell do the spray and pay method in hi-speed and then select the shot later. This will wear your shutter down quicker but I don't think it's gonna die soon.

Opinions appreciated, Kieron

08-12-2012, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Well, the shutter will cry and your SD card will be filling up pretty quickly. That's it, basically.
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always shoot High-speed continuous shooting. Simply I shoot a lot of dynamic scenes (eg action, waves, ..) and I do not want to miss the action.

The only trick is to remember to switch off all in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO, ..) to get the longest burst when needed.

SD Cards are cheap nowadays and this is a non-issue.
08-12-2012, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is also the issue of post-processing time. Unless you have time to review your shots and delete real-time, downloading and reviewing many hundreds or thousands of shots gets old real fast. Comparing amateurs with pros at an event, you'll often hear the tell-tale machine gun sound of the amateurs, compared with the single or short bursts of the pros.

Don

08-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Well, the shutter will cry and your SD card will be filling up pretty quickly. That's it, basically.
Yeah I guess, thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I always shoot High-speed continuous shooting. Simply I shoot a lot of dynamic scenes (eg action, waves, ..) and I do not want to miss the action.

The only trick is to remember to switch off all in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO, ..) to get the longest burst when needed.

SD Cards are cheap nowadays and this is a non-issue.
This is what I'm thinking to do, have you turned off high-ISO NR and slow shutter NR (irrelevant anyway)?
08-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donras Quote
There is also the issue of post-processing time. Unless you have time to review your shots and delete real-time, downloading and reviewing many hundreds or thousands of shots gets old real fast. Comparing amateurs with pros at an event, you'll often hear the tell-tale machine gun sound of the amateurs, compared with the single or short bursts of the pros.

Don
When I go shooting I usually just take 2-3 pics of the same thing and look later, I know that one will definitely be good, what i do is I backup all the DNGs to my computer and then i put the SD back into the camera and select the good shots on camera because it's so fast at viewing DNGs compared to my computer, it speeds up processing a lot.
08-12-2012, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kieron Quote
Is there any point shooting single frame when both modes shoot at the same resolution? You may aswell do the spray and pay method in hi-speed and then select the shot later. This will wear your shutter down quicker but I don't think it's gonna die soon.

Opinions appreciated, Kieron
Panasonic Lumix ZS8 has the fasted of any you will findn but when you go fast you have to shoot at lower resolution... the image quality is degraded to something like 4 megapixels when doing the high speed shooting. But you have numerous options as to which one you want to shoot...but at the high I think it goes around 10 fps...

Look up the spec sheet and see if it will fit your needs.

For a point and shoot I like it a lot.

08-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always shoot in hi-speed continuous. But I don't always take multiple shots.

What are you using for viewing photos? Any good photo management app should use the JPEG preview.
08-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

SD cards are cheap, shoot lots, upload via LR3, review in contact sheet format, select, edit, done.
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I've been experimenting with auto-bracketing +/- 1EV. Mostly I find that the K-r's metering at zero compensation is best... still I took a couple shots this past weekend that call for some gentle HDR work since I have the exposures at hand.
08-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Shooting bursts all the time creates too many files to review. The times when I do use Hi-Speed Continuous, usually for wildlife or macro, I get bored and annoyed sifting through a bunch of samey shots to find the best one.

My default setting is Continuous Lo-Speed. I naturally lift my finger off the shutter button after the shot, quickly enough that the second shot is not taken. If I want to keep shooting, I just leave my finger depressed. All of my cameras are set up this way. Occasionally I use Hi-speed. I normally only use single shot when I have a flash mounted.
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #12

I have set mine by default on Hi continuous, but normally only shoot one shot. When others take a shot with my camera, I normally end up with 3 shot of the same thing.
08-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
I have set mine by default on Hi continuous, but normally only shoot one shot. When others take a shot with my camera, I normally end up with 3 shot of the same thing.
That works with a K200D, but you probably won't lift your finger off quickly enough with a camera that shoots higher burst rates, 5,6,7+ fps.
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That works with a K200D, but you probably won't lift your finger off quickly enough with a camera that shoots higher burst rates, 5,6,7+ fps.
I never had any trouble with the K-x, and usually not with the K-5.
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kieron Quote
have you turned off high-ISO NR and slow shutter NR (irrelevant anyway)?
Kieron,
Yes, I switch off all in-camera PP. I prefer to PP on computer for better control.

I also shoot some long series of Hi-continuous shots (up to 90 s once) and my default setup is all in-camera PP off (killed off).