Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

Correct process for using old MF lenses with K-r

Hi Guys,

I've got a few things I just want to clarify with regards to using older MF lenses on the Pentax K-r. I have two MF lenses now, a Ricoh Rikenon prime and a Pentax-M f4 100m macro.

Currently I use them as follows -
  1. Set camera to MF
  2. Attach lens and set to Manual (M) mode
  3. Adjust aperture as required using aperture ring
  4. Press the button with the green circle on it to allow the camera to work out shutter speed
  5. Half press the shutter
  6. Focus until the camera beeps indicating it is focussed correctly, adjust as required
  7. Take the shot

Is this the correct method? There are some weird things which keep happening, when I press the button with the green circle (sorry forget what that's called) the mirror seems to flip and sometimes the viewfinder goes quite dark. In order to sort it I then have to depress the shutter and take a photo, any ideas why this happens? Secondly in order to get the camera to indicate that it is focussed I have to half press and then focus manually then it beeps, if I don't have press first then it won't beep at all, is this right?

I just want to check I'm doing this correctly and if there is anything I can do differently to make the process of manual focussing easier?

Cheers

Alex

08-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mirror doesn't move, its the aperture blades - the camera closes the aperture and then meters. That is why the viewfinder gets darker. If the mirror would have gone up, then it would always go completely black.
That is the correct process.
For more information, check this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Also, for focusing, look into catch in focus and focus peaking, both can be very useful for manual lenses. Good luck and have fun

Other things you can do for better manual focusing is getting a viewfinder enlarger (where you put a little lens on the viewfinder so the area is bigger, but then you usually can't see the text in the viewfinder) or a focusing screen (there are many types and they can help you focus)
08-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Cool thanks that makes sense glad I am using the correct process. I've heard of catch in focus before and have just read up on it a bit further, sounds great - will try this out. With regards to focus peaking this is a Sony only feature at the moment right?

Thanks,

Alex
08-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The mirror doesn't move, its the aperture blades - the camera closes the aperture and then meters. That is why the viewfinder gets darker. If the mirror would have gone up, then it would always go completely black.
If the K-r works the same way as the K-x then the mirror does move and the viewfinder will black out.

Also, on the K-r you do not have to use the Green button to meter. You can use the AV +/- button to meter, you can set the Green button for a different function, like Optical Preview.

08-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
With regards to focus peaking this is a Sony only feature at the moment right?
Pentax has focus peaking, but only the K-01 and K-30 have it right now. It could probably be added with a firmware update, but that isn't something Pentax does, ever.
08-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks boriscleto - does the DOF preview adjust shutter speed appropriately too or just close the blades so you can preview the DOF? I'm wondering if that's what my green button is doing at the moment, to be honest I never knew that the k-r had DOF preview, want to try it out now!
08-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks boriscleto - does the DOF preview adjust shutter speed appropriately too or just close the blades so you can preview the DOF? I'm wondering if that's what my green button is doing at the moment, to be honest I never knew that the k-r had DOF preview, want to try it out now!
When using Optical Preview in M mode with an M lens, when you press and hold the button it stops the lens down and turns on the meter. You can then use the e-dial to change the shutter speed or turn the aperture ring to change the aperture. The only indicator is a + or - number. If it says +3 you are three stops overexposed for example.
08-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok thanks, I'll have a look tonight so see if my k-r has the green button set to Optical Preview mode already. What are the other mode options? because at the moment I just press it once to take the meter reading and the camera adjusts the shutter speed. Also do I have to setup the Av +/- button specifically to adjust shutter speed in manual mode rather than switching between shutter speed and aperture?

Cheers

08-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok just read this thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/142910-why-green-b...nual-mode.html and it pretty much explains what I need to know. So basically I can use the green button for DOF preview and use the AV +/- button to do the metering? sounds brilliant! will I need to change any settings to make the AV +/- button work like normal when I put an A series lens back on?

Thanks
08-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Ok just read this thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/142910-why-green-b...nual-mode.html and it pretty much explains what I need to know. So basically I can use the green button for DOF preview and use the AV +/- button to do the metering? sounds brilliant! will I need to change any settings to make the AV +/- button work like normal when I put an A series lens back on?

Thanks
When a lens is set to A the Green Button and AV +/- button work normally. They only act differently when using a M lens or a M42 lens.
08-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Something else to spark your imagination with that M-series lens...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965512
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #12

mirror flip?

I've noticed some odd behavior with my K-r, wondering if this has happened with anyone else.

If I use the green button to meter with a manual lens (in manual mode), the mirror does the flip up/down that others have noted here (see Falconeye's complete explanation elsewhere on the site regarding this). I remember something similar in my K-m, but my K-r doesn't always seem to fully "complete" the mirror flip up, so that the image in the viewfinder is blurry. If I snap a pic, however-- and I focused before metering-- the pic will be perfectly in focus, despite looking out of focus in the viewfinder. And once the pic is snapped, the viewfinder will again be in focus.

At first, I thought it had something to do with my manual lenses, but it's not an lens/aperture issue-- I see this behavior even when, for instance, I use the green button for DOF preview with my (near new) DA 40. The blurry viewfinder suggests to me a mirror which did not fully reseat.

Anyone else seen this? Sometimes the mirror flip up works correctly, but often it does not...!

thanks!

-v
08-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
I've noticed some odd behavior with my K-r, wondering if this has happened with anyone else.

Anyone else seen this? Sometimes the mirror flip up works correctly, but often it does not...!

thanks!

-v
Have a look here.