Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Sticky shutter button

Anyone else have this issue? On closer inspection mine seems to have rusted a bit inside, it gets stuck sometimes and you have to tap it to pop it back up. Any suggestions for a cheap fix?

Thanks

Alex

08-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What model Pentax are you having this trouble with?
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry it's a K-r

Thanks
08-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Ari
Site Supporter

Really? I am not sure how rust could form there. Are you sure it's not some other kind of crud that's built up between the shutter and the body? I would buy a lens cleaning cloth and soak it in alcohol. Before trying to clean it, tap the cloth till it's just damp. With your camera on (so the shutter can fully release) put some elbow grease into cleaning the entire area. If you still see some residue, dip a q-tip into alcohol, wave it around in the air a bit to make sure it's just damp, then try to clean around the entire release.

08-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, if there is enough humidity to cause rust, you are likely to have other problems.

Alcohol may work, but the other item that may help is a spray can of a quality electronics contact cleaner. This is not the same thing as WD40 and its kin. The primary job of an electronics cleaner is to remove oxidation and excess lubricants that block current flow.
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Ari
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yeah, if there is enough humidity to cause rust, you are likely to have other problems.

Alcohol may work, but the other item that may help is a spray can of a quality electronics contact cleaner. This is not the same thing as WD40 and its kin. The primary job of an electronics cleaner is to remove oxidation and excess lubricants that block current flow.
I agree, Jim. If there is corrosion on the shutter release, I would be more worried about possible issues throughout the body. Especially since this is not a WR body.
08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

I also have this problem. It appeared about a month ago when i was on my summer vacation on the sea side. I carried my camera to the beach (not sand or gravel, but stone one). I was also extra careful in terms of handling it with wet hands and other stuff, but it seems that i was unsuccessful and it just might be some sort of sticky dirt or oil that might got stuck under shutter button. After I got home to continent, the button started to loose its "stickiness" but still, under some conditions it gets a bit sticky. It feels like if you were walking on tiles and tiles are sticky with sugar. I am almost positive that it is not rust but some sort of sticky/oily contaminant. After all you can't wash your hands from sun screen lotion very well when you are on the beach.

Earlier this year i got drunk and spilled some white wine over my cell phone, I have a Nokia, and those who have Symbian models know that you have a sliding button that locks/unlocks the phone. And basically after that incident, button was extra hard to slide. So i took a Q-tip and soaked it in distilled water detergent (it says optical glass cleaning solution on the bottle, what ever that means) and just tapped the button so the liquid got bit under button, but in very small amount. After that, problem was solved. Somehow I am not brave enough to do the same thing with my camera.
08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Ari
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
.....So i took a Q-tip and soaked it in distilled water detergent (it says optical glass cleaning solution on the bottle, what ever that means) and just tapped the button so the liquid got bit under button, but in very small amount. After that, problem was solved. Somehow I am not brave enough to do the same thing with my camera.
I bought a bottle of that at a local Ritz Camera store that was closing. I had some weird oil spots on some of my filters (it looked almost like soap bubbles). I opened it up and exploded in my face. Not really relevant, but I still have that horrendous taste of (whatever it is) in my mouth

08-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks guys - turns out it was crud. Managed to clean it with some WD40 and a cotton wool bud - it now works perfectly again!
09-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

I have a sticky shutter too and its acting wierd!

I have my K-r for a little over a year now and lately I have noticed that three odd things are happening
1)sometimes it shoots continuiously when I have only single frame selected
2) even when i let go of the shutter button, I can hear the lens constantly trying to focus. It didn't do that before. I set it to auto mode and made sure single frame shooting was selected and it does the same thing intermittently. Then I noticed that the shutter button was sticking in the half press position and i had to wiggle it to get it back up.
3) Sometimes it gives me a quick view on the LCD of the picture i just took and sometimes it doesn't. I have noticed that when it doesn't the shutter button is stuck down.

Anyone else have these issues?
09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Okay, you found this thread. Great! Did you follow any of the advice given in the thread for repair?

Gunk can build up on any mechanical control - even if, and sometimes especially if, the camera is stored in a camera bag. I periodically will take everything out of my camera bags and vacuum the interior spaces. I never cease to be amazed at the accumulation of dust and lint.
09-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #12

Yes, thank you, I cleaned the button and the contacts on the lens and camera with a q-tip and alcohol and it seems way better, hopefully that has fixed the problem