Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the update. Great info! Much appreciated.

08-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #17

Phone display protector

Hi, my quick and dirty (not to mention cheap!) solution:
I bought screen protector films for my Nokia cell phone with touch screen. 10 covers, total price less than 20 euros (something like $15).
I simply cut one of those smaller to fit over K-r's display, it's been there for weeks now and has already had few scratches on behalf of the K-r's display itself.

Very easy to attach, to clean (can be washed with water & soap if needed) and to replace when worn enough.
Being a "soft" film it won't protect the display from heavy hits, but strong enough to avoid any scratches caused by sand, belt, car keys or other loose objects in bag etc.
08-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Hey, folks...

Looking for advice/experience/suggestions for protecting the LCD on my K-r. Some cameras have fitted, rigid screens to fit over the display but I don't see that option for my camera. That leaves (I presume) one or another of the "film" types of protection.

Worth it? Any kind better than another? Any kind to be avoided?

Thanks for the benefit of your expertise!
To my knowledge the screens are the same for the K-7,5 and Kr.
At any rate, you can get some really nice glass screen protectors on eBay for under 10.00 USD.
08-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Basten Quote
Hi, my quick and dirty (not to mention cheap!) solution:
I bought screen protector films for my Nokia cell phone with touch screen. 10 covers, total price less than 20 euros (something like $15).
I simply cut one of those smaller to fit over K-r's display, it's been there for weeks now and has already had few scratches on behalf of the K-r's display itself.

Very easy to attach, to clean (can be washed with water & soap if needed) and to replace when worn enough.
Being a "soft" film it won't protect the display from heavy hits, but strong enough to avoid any scratches caused by sand, belt, car keys or other loose objects in bag etc.
yes they work but if you try to zoom in tight on preview to check focus or detail mostly those soft screen distort/ degrade the image and can give a false impression.

09-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all. Sorry to have been off the air for most of the week... got a hand and wrist injury that's interfered with most activity... meds interfering with sentience and sling interfering with physical activity. So not much time online, none with camera. <sigh> But, it's improving, hope to be back in two-handed fighting trim soon. Thanks to everyone for ideas and expertise!
09-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #21

Hi, I have to disagree with adwb; even though those phone screen cover films are soft (or perhaps "flexible" would be a better expression here), they are totally clear and do not have any impact on the quality of the LDC.
Actually it's hard to tell if the film is in place or not unless you see its edges. Or at least that's the case with the ones I have in use.
For sure there are many different types of such films, so I guess one will see the result only by testing.
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Forum Member

Julie, this is the hard protector I bought. It was very easy to install, does not obscure or dim the display, the fingerprint resistance is reasonably effective and it is very easy to clean, just a quick swipe with a lens cloth or a shirt sleeve.

Amazon Link

If you get this or any hard protector, make sure you do a dry run on the installation, before removing the tape that covers the adhesive strip around the inside edge. You want to make sure everything lines up correctly.
09-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Good advice!

Hope to be able to spend some time with camera and shop for the LCD protector this weekend. I'm out of the sling, for which thanks, but my hand is still not 100% functional. Getting there, a little better each day... at least I can use the keyboard with both hands now! So I hope to be hands-on with camera, and gadgets, very soon. Now, if Pentax would only ship the M42 adapter rings to our friendly sources for same, I would be a very happy camper...sore fingers notwithstanding...

Great info here, guys, much appreciated!

09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I would say the opposite. Your screen WILL get scratched eventually if unprotected and can be cracked if your camera bangs against something etc. I think it is much more danger than your front element (typically). I like the hard screens from ACMAXX and think they are well worth it (especially if you have a top LCD as it comes with a protector for that too). Filters on your front elements, however, are highly debatable, although they have their uses at times.
+1 for ACMAXX

I picked up a thin screen protector when I bought my k5, within a couple weeks it was peeling around the edges. After doing some research I purchased an Acmaxx 3.0 Hard armor protector on ebay; for only a couple dollars more than the POS protector I originally bought. I checked, it is available for the kr.

I never bothered to put a screen protector on my km and I wish I had. No major scratches or cracks, but a lot of small faint ones. The cost of a quality screen protector is worth it IMO.
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks...the hard protector is very likely what I'll be getting. Seems like this is the one most of y'all prefer, and it makes the most sense to me. I'm not comfortable with the idea of sticking some sort of adhesive film on the LCD...I've seen (in stores) the packets of sticky-things for phones, tablets, etc. and thought I'd do without rather than wrestle with that stuff.