Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LCD Protection Options?

Hey, folks...

Looking for advice/experience/suggestions for protecting the LCD on my K-r. Some cameras have fitted, rigid screens to fit over the display but I don't see that option for my camera. That leaves (I presume) one or another of the "film" types of protection.

Worth it? Any kind better than another? Any kind to be avoided?

Thanks for the benefit of your expertise!

08-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

I would just forego screen protecters. The screen is on the back of the camera, exposed more to noses than fingers and is not located in the "danger" zone. Save the money you would spend on screen protecters and make sure you get good filters for the front elements of all of your lenses. It's money better spent.
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Look at LCD Screen Protectors - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database.

Personally I equipped my K-7 LCD with this one:
Hoodman Super Hoodskins (Model SHSK 3) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

My main concern was the risk of scratching the LCD with my clothes (buttons, zip) when I carry it with the strap around my neck. The LCD protector is very strong while also very clear.

Hope that the info may help.

Last edited by hcc; 08-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i'm out on the rocks at the beaches and such and once in awhile need to set down the cam or even drop it. My camera is not babied. I like the GGS optical glass protectors and have used them on my last 3 cameras with excellent results. They cost under $5 IIRC and well worth it. When it is time to remove it, they pull right off without leaving anything sticky behind. really nice product.

08-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i'm out on the rocks at the beaches and such and once in awhile need to set down the cam or even drop it. My camera is not babied. I like the GGS optical glass protectors and have used them on my last 3 cameras with excellent results. They cost under $5 IIRC and well worth it. When it is time to remove it, they pull right off without leaving anything sticky behind. really nice product.
+1 for the GGS. I found that my belt buckle would scratch the unprotected screen when I kneel down. This protector works.
08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I would just forego screen protecters. The screen is on the back of the camera, exposed more to noses than fingers and is not located in the "danger" zone. Save the money you would spend on screen protecters and make sure you get good filters for the front elements of all of your lenses. It's money better spent.
I would say the opposite. Your screen WILL get scratched eventually if unprotected and can be cracked if your camera bangs against something etc. I think it is much more danger than your front element (typically). I like the hard screens from ACMAXX and think they are well worth it (especially if you have a top LCD as it comes with a protector for that too). Filters on your front elements, however, are highly debatable, although they have their uses at times.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

I use a hard protector from Rainbow Imaging on my Kr. It went on easy and is completely unobtrusive. The peace of mind is well worth the ~ $10 I spent.

Amazon Link
08-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
+1 for the GGS. I found that my belt buckle would scratch the unprotected screen when I kneel down. This protector works.
+2 for the GGS.

Amazon.com: GGS Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector 3 inches for Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo

08-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Ari. I do have filters on the front of all lenses -- always, a habit from film days.
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Lupine. I didn't know there were hard protectors available for the K-r. I will check it out!
08-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I want to do something -- right now the camera bag fits best with the K-r nose-down, leaving the LCD on top (it has a fabric panel to lay on top, but that doesn't offer a lot of protection). Plus the possible hazards when the camera's out of the bag and being handled.

Thanks, mikeSF, gp1806, jaywes for the GGS recommendation. I have some homework to do now!
08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Thanks, Lupine. I didn't know there were hard protectors available for the K-r. I will check it out!
If I remember right, I bought one for the K-7. Same LCD size and shape.
08-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use these on all my bodies, broke a couple to, with no damagee to the lcd screen.

Amazon.co.uk: giottos screen protectors: Electronics & Photo
08-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
adwb: I will do more searching, once this beastly hurricane has left the neighborhood (I'm in south Florida, very soggy this morning with a lot more on the way). Great info, thank you!

gp: thanks. knowing the K7's LCD is the same size and shape helps with the research!
08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

forgot to mention first one top left on the amazon page is 3" one that s what I have on my kr and k5
Alistair