Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focusing screen metal holder fell

Hi. I was fiddling with my girlfriend's K-r (again). The split screen had an annoying, but very small BACK focus issue, so I pulled out the focusing screen, looking to replace the shims with THICKER (?) ones.
Unfortunately, I slid the metal holder a little to the right, and I detached it from the camera. I'm very tired right now, so I won't risk damaging anything, but I'm curious if there's any quick way to get that back in.
Thanks.

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 09-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I've had that happen on my K-x almost every time I did anything with the focusing screen. The two tabs on the clip should fit right back into the holes on the camera and stay in place when you push the clip into its "locked" position. I would recommend trying it without the screen or shims and with the mirror covered so that nothing gets scratched. Good luck!

-Todd
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, good advice. How should I mask the mirror?
09-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a piece of Pec-Pad lint-free photo wipe, cut down to about the width of the mirror. The full-size Pec-Pad would get in the way.

-Todd

09-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Work done, I think it focuses ok now. I'm not sure, but I think the shims provided by focusingscreen.com are all 0.2mm thick. Before the procedure, the shim thickness was 0.3mm, or so I was told. Now it is 0.4mm.
On a side note, I'd like to correct focus on her MX as well, but don't have shims. Anybody have any idea what material can I use to cut some? Well, that, and how about replacing the MX screen with something like a Canon EC-A or EC-B? Would it fit?
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6

Hello guys,

I just need your help on finding this same metal holder since I damaged the one I have for my Pentax K-x last night. Is this something that I can buy from Pentax parts center or if you can lead me to a site or seller then I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Boilerman24