Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #1

Issue shooting landscape photos

Hi guys

Can you please help me out with this issue? I don't know why when I try to shoot landscape photos the results come out with a shadow as appears in the attached pic , though I shoot on a sunshine day with the light shines directly on the background of my picture. I try various settings but more often than not I get the same result

Any suggestions are welcome and many thanks in advance for your kind help.

Cheers. L.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
09-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try switching from spot metering to matrix metering. If this particular shot still turns out underexposed, apply a +1-2 stop EV compensation. You can also manually choose a slower shutter speed, like 1/350s instead of 1/800
09-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. What Adam said.
09-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks Adam. From your suggestion I think the issue would be the metering mode, as I occur the same result when I switch to Av mode. There are a couple of shots I try with a reduced shutter speed and they end up being overexposed.
Besides, in correct setting, my pictures seem to be a tad darker than those of my friend, who shots with a Nikon. Is that something normal that pictures produced by Nikon have brighter rendition?

09-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #5

You can also try using other modes, and see if that helps. If all of the images turn to be too dark, I would recommend to replace the camera if that option is available. Also, do you use filter while shooting?
09-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The brightest part of the frame is the cloud and that is about where your spot is metering from. I don't think it would be accurate to generalize the tendency to over or under exposed when using spot metering because by making just slight composition change the exposure of the frame can change dramatically. Matrix or center weighted metering is where it's at for general shooting, while spot is what I use for more creative exposures. The benefit of what you have shared here is the details of the cloud are not lost, and the shadows can be recovered.
09-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
@ Sveco: Thanks for your feedback. I think the result of the photo come from my setting whereby some point is wrong and I don't realize which one. I don't use filter while shooting and your suggestion of replacing the camera really makes me smile

@ matt: Can you please share with me the setting you would choose for such kind of shot? Many thanks.
09-15-2012, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try selecting matrix metering, and +0.7 EV compensation. I would use Av mode at about f8.

09-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, lushdimple.
As others said, spot metering may not be the best when you don't know what it does (or when you don't even know it's on). But the picture turned out ok if you intended to post process it - meter for the highlights to avoid clipping, and bring the rest of details back in PP. However, noticing that you took the picture in "Landscape" mode, I'm not sure how interested you are in shooting RAW and post processing your images, hence the question about Nikon.
09-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well spotted, kcobain1992. I randomly picked that pic from a series of photos taken in various settings yet share the same result. The exif didn't appear in the normal photo viewer when I browsed to upload the pic so I'm sorry for making you guys confused. Yep, I can process this pic and improve it in lightroom. I just wonder what exactly went wrong with my setting at that time and as some as you guys suggested, I think I need to pay more attention on the metering mode.
Question about Nikon is a little tangent. ^^" The shadow casts over the above pic reminds me that pictures produced by Nikon somehow brighter than those produced by Pentax, provided that they are well taken. That's where I come up with the question.
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

I normally shoot in Centre Weighted metering. I've taken the liberty of playing with your image to illustrate how the change in metering mode changes the exposure on a scene. The histograms in the bottom of the image are shifting right... to the centre of the exposure range right where it is supposed to be.

This is essentially a question about how exposure is determined by the camera - and middle grey or 18% is the goal of the exposure meter. I always refer friends to Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure" - it is an easy read and covers the important topics quite well.

The last shot shows what can be done, even with just a JPG to bring this to more acceptable exposure.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo