Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just got my K-r

Hello! I am a new member who just received her first EVER DSLR—I bought a new K-r from an EBay photo store. Now it's time to go try it out and grow into it. I'm sure it will be a whole new world for me; I have been shooting with Sony cybershots up 'til now. There is a special place in my heart for those compacts, but I outgrew them and CAN'T WAIT to get started with DSLR quality. (I studied specs online for a month prior to the purchase, wanted a k-5 but had to go with affordability. Plus I have a collection of manual k-mount SLR lenses that are fully manual, no electronics, no Ricoh pin ... should be an adventure!)

09-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! You have a nice camera, what lens did you get?
09-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome! I have a K-r and used it for 1 1/2 years before upgrading to a K-30. I LOVE my K-r. It was a joy to learn photography with and I bet you'll have a blast with it!
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome!

If you are new to the world of interchangeable lenses and moving from a compact to a dslr, sometimes the photos will not come out 'that much better' initially or sometimes it maybe even worse for a while till you get the hang of it.

Rent this book from the library.
Understanding Exposure,3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books

It certainly helped me when I made the move.

09-26-2012, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I just sold mine here on the forum. It really is a great camera, especially in the lower iso's. Congrats and post some images!
09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Bonjour,

I found my K-r to be an excellent image making tool. My wife claimed it, thus I moved on to a K-7, then K-5.

You should really enjoy it, like I did ... and tell us about your lens collection.

Salut, John le Frog
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy the move up to a DSLR, especially the Kr. Mine has been FANTASTIC the last couple years.
09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
kit lens so far

Well, it came with the 18-55 F3.5-5.6 WR kit lens, and that's all I have so far. I went out in the yard to take pictures and got a feel for how close it would let me get to the subject (since I do a lot of macro with my cybershots). You are right, it will take some learning to improve. I only went for the auto setting like a baby just learning to walk.

I do have an issue: I wear glasses and would consider getting the "magnifier eyecup" or the "magnifier Fb" (hinged viewfinder accessory). It was work to try to look through the viewfinder with my bifocals on. I do not wear contact lenses and hope this will not be an insurmountable problem.

If anyone has tried these accessories, I would like to know where I can find information.

My old manual lenses are Sears K-mount, and I will give details later. One of them is a macro zoom. Thanks for all the replies and assistance.
~TJ in Delaware.

09-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
I do have an issue: I wear glasses and would consider getting the "magnifier eyecup" or the "magnifier Fb" (hinged viewfinder accessory). It was work to try to look through the viewfinder with my bifocals on. I do not wear contact lenses and hope this will not be an insurmountable problem.
You should be looking through the upper (distance) part of your glasses when using the optical viewfinder, no matter what the physical distance is between your camera and subject. You may need to do an initial eyepiece diopter adjustment. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir, but that's the little slide switch at the top of the optical viewfinder. To do this adjustment, manually set your lens at infinity, look through the optical viewfinder at a distant high contrast subject and move the diopter adjustment until the object is in focus.

I wear 'no-line' multi-focal glasses. I'm told there are no less than 17 focusing gradations in my glasses. So my glasses are even fussier than yours, and I have no problems using the optical viewfinder. In fact an up-to-the-eye viewfinder is THE reason I won't buy something like the K-01 ...

Where I DO occasionally have trouble is with Live View (the LCD display). I also wear contacts on occasion. They interact with the viewfinder differently than my glasses, so I have to re-adjust the diopter as described above. However, when I am wearing contacts, I also need reading glasses for close work - - and unlike the optical viewfinder where I always use my distance correction, my arms aren't long enough to see the LCD without my reading glasses.
09-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Sears lenses (hope to try on my new K-r)

I just read all 24 pages of the Sears Lens Club here ... I got my new K-r partly due to the fact that I have all these old K mount lenses. Here is the list:

Sears 135mm f2.8 PK mount with macro
Sears 135mm f2.8 PK mount without macro
Sears 28mm f2.8 PK mount with 4 macro settings
Sears 50mm f1.7 PK mount (2 of these)

All lenses say multi-coat and auto on them. None say "R" (I was worried about a Ricoh pin and searched online to find out all about that.) All seem to have absolutely nothing on the mount but 4 tiny screws. The 50 mm's have 5 tiny screws.

I also have a JC Penney Auto 2x Tele-Converter, PK mount (that I am clueless about what it is for.)

As a point-and-shooter, I was very much into macro shooting; one of my Sony compacts has a crisp Carl Zeiss lens that I love; I could get within 2 cm of the subject.

For my K-r, at the moment, I cannot purchase a DSLR prime, macro, zoom, or portrait lens until I save up some $$$.

Can anyone advise me how to set up my settings on my new K-r with these seemingly 100% manual lenses ... I am reading my manual. I would also like to know how to clean them the correct way. Thanks so much for all of your wisdom.
10-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter

This forum article should give you the information you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Tim
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A Few K-r photos

Sharing a few photos since learning my K-r:

The teen couple was done with the kit lens DA 18-55, f3.5-5.6.

The cell phone was done in Manual with a Sears 50mm, f1.7 (and flash--maybe too much)

The cookies were done in Manual, also with the Sears 50mm, f1.7 and flash.

I am beginning to like this Sears 50mm f1.7.

Probably should have sharpened the cookies a bit. They are sharper in reality than what appears here.

But I am glad to be able to use those manual lenses on a DSLR!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #13

are those snickerdoodles!?
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, they are peanut butter kiss cookies, but I didn't have any Hershey Kisses, so I used small chocolate chips. More cookie pics to come ... I love taking pictures of food!
12-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-r with Sears 50mm, f1.7

Although soft due to resampling, I was pleased with the high-resolution version of this shot, one of my first ever tried with the old Sears 50mm f1.7 lens. I still find it fascinating that one can bring old, retired lenses out of the closet to allow the digital sensor to create a photo through them once more.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo