Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

Oh what the $@#!

Ill try to make this brief (and keep in mind that I'm camera noob).....

Family trip to Busch Gardens Tampa was all fine & dandy. Good weather, park was quiet, & noone was mauled by animals. Then the unthinkable... My K-r came off my sling strap, dropped 4ft to the ground & bounced lens first into the pavement .

1) Now my 55-300mm kit lens wont focus in either AF or MF. Seems like the focusing ring is jammed and unable to move. Thoughts on what the problem may be? Is it even worth attempting to have it repaired?

2) Also appears that in the collision there is now something on the mirrors in the camera body. Looking through the view finder you can clearly see there are some flecks of something in there. Would a simple cleaning brush on the mirror clear that up? (Ive yet to take a picture to see if the flecks will show up in the photo or not)

If I have to go the route of a replaced lens is there a 18-300mm lens or something similar that could be recommended?

Thanks for looking and helping.
Josh

10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Im sorry for your loss, JT. I cant answer the first question but for the second question: I would LIGHTLY try and clear the specs off with a brush . Chances are, if you see them in the viewfinder, they will appear in the photos. Hopefully you become fully functional soon. BTW how did the pictures you took, before the fall, turn out?
10-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if you want to take a photo and have the flecks flung around when the mirror flips up. I think I'd clean it first. But if there are flecks there then they may be elsewhere in the body too.

No superzoom-type lens that goes down to around 18mm (or even 28mm if it's an older model) will be as good as your 55-300. The 55-300 is a pretty good lens, especially for the price. But if you insist, the DA18-135 is fairly good, and the new 18-270 is essentially a re-badged Tamron that is generally considered the best in its class (but it will be expensive).
10-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear of this. I hope the camera is okay even if the lens isn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bear Quote
Chances are, if you see them in the viewfinder, they will appear in the photos.
Not quite. As mentioned above you don't want to flip the mirror if there are pieces on it without a cleaning first. I'd try a rocket blower first, then a brush if that doesn't work. Things visible on the mirror and in the viewfinder won't show up in the pictures, because all that is above the sensor.

If things do show up in photos then there's loose items behind and under the mirror.

10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Bear thanks for the reply.

Strangely I took a test picture w/o cleaning anything. When I viewed the picture nothing is showing up in it (lucky maybe?) Take a look, its the Halloween house picture attached.

Also while scanning through the pictures I took today I noticed that the camera actually went off when it hit the ground. Its the black photo.

Before the fall I had some good picture and some not so hot ones. Im still learning how to shoot in full manual mode and still learning how to properly meter things. Photos attached have not been touched up at all, just resized to fit on the forum.

Last edited by jt1667; 01-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.
10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've actually cleaned my mirror a few times before, and learned a few things from it.

1) Don't apply much pressure.
2) Lens pen brush is fine
3) Using pecpads with eclipse formula is wonderful, but it can remove the padding material on either side of the mirror, and that will be REALLY ANNOYING TO DEAL WITH
4) Don't apply much pressure. Seriously.

Can you move the focus ring of the 55-300? Or is it stuck? What noise do you hear if you rotate it?
10-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
*palm to forehead* Learn something new everyday. It was an assumption on my part, and I should know better than to assume. My Bad O_o
10-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

Can you move the focus ring of the 55-300? Or is it stuck? What noise do you hear if you rotate it?
Cant move the focus ring at all so Im not sure if its stuck or what. No noises since it wont rotate. When its on AF it makes the attempt to rotate the focus ring but cant.

10-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jt1667 Quote
My K-r came off my sling strap,
Sorry to hear, hope the advice above will be helpful. Can you offer any advice for those of us with sling straps to save others the heartache? Did the strap break? What type - tripod screw, nylon clip?

As for a lens replacement, the Tamron/Pentax 18-250 is a good all around zoom and can be purchased used for reasonable prices.
There is a new one announced (18-270) that may also be an option, but it is not out yet.
10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Cant move the focus ring at all so Im not sure if its stuck or what. No noises since it wont rotate. When its on AF it makes the attempt to rotate the focus ring but cant.
I'll wildly guess either one of two things happened:

1) The impact dislodged a focusing gear element and it jammed the entire mechanism.
2) The impact deformed the barrel of the lens, making the focusing element unable to rotate.

It sounds like it needs to be repaired... you could try getting a quote and comparing it to a used 55-300 on the forum.
10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
No superzoom-type lens that goes down to around 18mm (or even 28mm if it's an older model) will be as good as your 55-300. The 55-300 is a pretty good lens, especially for the price. But if you insist, the DA18-135 is fairly good, and the new 18-270 is essentially a re-badged Tamron that is generally considered the best in its class (but it will be expensive).
Was hoping that wasnt going to be what I heard...Thanks for the info though! Maybe I'll scour craigslist & ebay to see if I can come across a deal.
10-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Original Poster
@crewl1 - The advice I can offer is to make sure you check your tripod screw periodically! My camera body just rotated enough to make the screw come loose.

@JinDesu - I threw A LOT of caution to the wind (or rather out the window) and decided grab ahold of the main body of the lens & then used my other hand to grab the focusing ring. I gave a tug and *pop*, the focusing ring is now rotating by hand & mechanically by AF. Its not sounding 100% but its definitely working were before I didn't have a working lens. I will certainly be taking it in to my local shop to have it looked at.
10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Its not sounding 100% but its definitely working were before I didn't have a working lens. I will certainly be taking it in to my local shop to have it looked at.
Well, that's a good start. It's often the lens you'd rather protect, but in your case I think the camera body is worth more. If the K-r is OK that's probably the most important factor right now.
10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

@crewl1 - The advice I can offer is to make sure you check your tripod screw periodically! My camera body just rotated enough to make the screw come loose.

@JinDesu - I threw A LOT of caution to the wind (or rather out the window) and decided grab ahold of the main body of the lens & then used my other hand to grab the focusing ring. I gave a tug and *pop*, the focusing ring is now rotating by hand & mechanically by AF. Its not sounding 100% but its definitely working were before I didn't have a working lens. I will certainly be taking it in to my local shop to have it looked at.
The screw drive is a more robust mechanism than HSM/USM/SDM/whateverSM, so perhaps it'll remain in working condition.