Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodhr Quote
WOW!
Does post processing also mean "editing photos"? I'm asking because I kind of have this feeling that these two are are not the same thing. Hehe. I usually photoshop my photos when I find something that I like more than others. But right now I'm only converting them from RAW to jpg, because I'm trying to figure out the settings of my camera...

Thought I would share some photos that are taken 3+ years ago with a compact camera, they are all photoshopped, but I like them much better than I like the photos that I take now. I think my photos now are inexpressive.
Yes, post process is an all encompassing term that includes doing anything to a photo file after the picture is taken. It can be a subtle as bringing forth some shadow details to doing much more complicated enhancements. I do not post process everything, nor do I shoot only RAW. I shoot both RAW and JPEG and usually only post process if the JPEG needs 'help'.

12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest difference I noticed in those older photos versus the ones you have been posting is the light. The older ones were taken on sunny days, everything else I've seen in this thread has been on cloudy dreary days or at night. That alone will make a big difference.
01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #138
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone! I took some photos today. i'd like to read opinions...
I've added here the original and an edited version (except the last one). I only uploaded three, because the rest were just awful, they look weird soft blurry. Those (incl. the last one) were taken in the evening, right after the sun had set, I wanted to take photos of the sunset, but I didn't make it on time to the spot. Today's weather was kinda okay, it was cloudy at times, but not always.

Someone said here earlier, that it's not easy to shoot trees, but I just couldn't help it, they looked real nice today with all the snow and stuff.

Filename - IMGP5795 - Copy.jpg
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-r
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - PENTAX Digital Camera Utility Ver. 4.30
DateTime - 2013:01:22 20:04:14
Artist -
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 286
ExposureTime - 1/320 seconds
FNumber - 4.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2013:01:22 17:04:32
DateTimeDigitized - 2013:01:22 17:04:32
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.30
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 23.13 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4288
ExifImageHeight - 2848
InteroperabilityOffset - 29268
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 34 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Hard
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Hard
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Mode - Auto
Quality - Good
ISO - 400
White Balance - Auto
Lens Type - smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 29410
JpegIFByteCount - 8029

If this EXIF info is needed for the rest of the photos, let me know.

Last edited by hollywoodhr; 01-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #139
Inactive Account

First thing I see wrong is the aperture, you need to stop down to around f8 for a shot like that.

01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #140
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
First thing I see wrong is the aperture, you need to stop down to around f8 for a shot like that.
For a shot like what?
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #141
Inactive Account

Just about any landscape, you normally want maximum DOF and sharpness, so f4 is way too large of an aperture. You should also be on a tripod if possible, so 400 ISO isn't necessary, you'll get the best quality at the base ISO.
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #142
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Just about any landscape, you normally want maximum DOF and sharpness, so f4 is way too large of an aperture. You should also be on a tripod if possible, so 400 ISO isn't necessary, you'll get the best quality at the base ISO.
Oh, okay.
Thanks!

I was thinking about taking the tripod with me, but I didn't feel like it. Unfortunately.
I took photos with different apertures, like the minimum to 8, but the difference was not very noticeable to me...

here is the f8 one

Filename - IMGP5796.jpg
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K-r
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - PENTAX Digital Camera Utility Ver. 4.30
DateTime - 2013:01:22 21:26:17
Artist -
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright -
ExifOffset - 286
ExposureTime - 1/80 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2013:01:22 17:04:51
DateTimeDigitized - 2013:01:22 17:04:51
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.30
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 23.13 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4288
ExifImageHeight - 2848
InteroperabilityOffset - 30732
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 34 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Hard
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Hard
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

GPS information: -
GPSVersionID - 2.3.0.0

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Mode - Auto
Quality - Good
ISO - 400
White Balance - Auto
Lens Type - smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 30874
JpegIFByteCount - 8153

01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #143
Veteran Member

So, to sum up.. shoot raw, use raw processing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture, FastStone, SilkyPix, etc. There are many options.) and maybe buy a prime lens (fixed focal length, better IQ) with a lens hood.
Oh, and with snow, you can use exposure compensation and raise it, to make the photo brighter, because snow kind of confuses the metering (white objects trick the camera into thinking the scene is brighter than it actually is)
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #144
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So, to sum up.. shoot raw, use raw processing software (Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture, FastStone, SilkyPix, etc. There are many options.) and maybe buy a prime lens (fixed focal length, better IQ) with a lens hood.
Oh, and with snow, you can use exposure compensation and raise it, to make the photo brighter, because snow kind of confuses the metering (white objects trick the camera into thinking the scene is brighter than it actually is)
Thank you!
01-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #145

also, it's probably not necessary to post all of the exif data, just the important stuff. ISO, shutter speed, aperture
02-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #146
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

I would like to share some not so good news with you. There is something wrong with my camera. I will be taking it back to the store tomorrow, and I will search the forum later next week too, but maybe meanwhile anyone knows what it could be? I was taking photos of myself, and everything worked fine. Then at one point, I was turning my camera around when I heard a click, but I thought it was the thing that covers the memory card place. And then it wouldn't work anymore. The screen works and the menu is accessible, but whichever buttons I'm pressing, it makes the noises of the shutter, like when I'm taking a photo. No matter which button I press, it makes this noise. I can't change the aperture either, but I can change other settings. The viewfinder is dark grey , only this like 1/10 part of it is looking normal and I can see through, but the rest of it is just almost invisible. When I zoom out I see better, but when I zoom in I only see through when there is a very good light. I took off the objective, to see if there is smth going on in there, but everything looked fine, like everything was in place and not broken.

I don't know how this just could happen like this? Does anyone know what it might be? Right now I don't have time to search the forum but I'm just super shocked, seriously. I think I might cry (, not funny actually). I worked so hard to be able to buy this camera and now it doesn't work. And if they tell me that it's my fault, it's doing these things, I don't know what I'm gonna do then. Oh, and it's my birthday today, so might I just say that this is the "best" present ever
02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #147

This is my worst nightmare. And I think it's absolutely ridiculous how often people get this crippling problem with their K-R. If I knew how common it was I honestly wouldn't have purchased this camera. Right now mine only does this when I use a manual lens but I'm just waiting for the day the problem spreads to everything else, and then I'll probably be crying right along with you.

I think the first thing you should do is get the battery adapter so you can use AA batteries. For some people this completely fixed the problem so there's at least a little hope. If not, you'll be looking at around a $200 bill if you send it in to a repair shop which is more than half of what the camera is worth now...

Really sorry to hear it happened to you :/ I know exactly how you feel. I too saved up for a long time to be able to get this camera and if I'm faced with having a bill to repair it I will unfortunately be without a camera for a long time as well.
02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #148
Inactive Account

Is the mirror in its usual place? It sounds like it could be jammed. If that's the case and it's under warranty you shouldn't have too many problems. That said, have you tried taking the battery out, fully charging it and trying again, swapped lenses over, and cleaned the contacts? I really hope it's just something simple for you.

Oh, and happy birthday, hope the rest of your day goes better.
02-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csmoore Quote
I think the first thing you should do is get the battery adapter so you can use AA batteries. For some people this completely fixed the problem so there's at least a little hope.
While I have no proof of this, I am of the opinion that the reason the switch to AA batteries work is because the LiON battery is worn past its useful life. You can only cycle the charge in these batteries a number of times before they have to be replaced. And repeatedly using the battery until it is drained can further shorten its useful life. So, again my opinion, is it isn't the switch to AA that fixes the problem, it is that you have replaced a worn out LiON battery with a fresh power source.

That said, like many others, I long ago switched to using Sanyo eneloop batteries. I have 2 AA adapters. I keep the spare adapter loaded with charged batteries in my camera bag. It takes me no more time to swap AA adapters than it takes me to swap LiON batteries. With either type of battery, I keep the spare inside a plastic bag so it won't accidently short inside my camera bag.
02-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the AA adapter so it came in with the K-30 just because I distrust the LiONs. I may actualy buy a second just so I can save time when swapping one set out for another.