Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I lucked into a Pentax 50mm with an f-1.8 aperture. I was selling used cars and it was a bag in the trunk of a car, and when I called the owner he said, Oh yeah...keep it. I have a new camera. It was a Ricoh 35mm and this lens was in it. Have to agree with the OP, this is a FANTASTIC lens and works very nicely with the K-r. When I looked them up on eBay I almost fainted. It stays in a bag and rarely gets used except for pictures of people I really want to come out well. The images are super sharp with excellent definition and superb color.

10-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because of this thread, I now have 2 50mm Super Taks on the way to me...........a 1.8 and a 1.4, plus the M42 - K adapter...........I was bidding on ebay for the 1.4 and ended up getting it for $90 and when I bought the M42 - K adapter, the seller threw in his 1.8 for $25............I'm excited to learn about manual shooting with these lenses........

Dave
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their post. I was already adept on the m42 thread lenses and the adapter required. As with MF, I just never thought much of the Taks since they were.. well MF. So I made no attempt at purchasing any.

Probably will end up with a few Taks sooner or later. Haha

@GDRoth, you will be surprised.
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an M 50mm 1:1.4 left over from my years of shooting with a film camera (ME Super) and I am talking about back when I was 14 year old, now that I am 47 I got back into DSLRs about two years ago and it has reignited my interest in photography. Naturally I went with Pentax and got a K-x, I now have a K-5 and still use my K-x as well.
From the beginning of getting that K-x, the first lens I put on it was that 50mm, I wanted to see just how well that camera worked with a manual lens on it, I was literally blown away at the quality of this lens, but then again I should not have been surprised seeing as I used and abused this lens for thirty plus years. It has never let me down and I took thousands of photos in film with it, I literally learned photography with this lens, it is even handed down to me from my father when he gave me the ME Super.
I recently did a Family photo shoot with some good friends and at the time I just recieved my K-5 and was just getting used to it, I slapped the 50mm on it because i really wanted to try it out on portraits. When I loaded my images up in LR I was totally amazed at all the keepers, the clarity and detail of these images, I vowed since then to ALWAYS have this lens in my bag. The only thing I did to the lens is I disabled the aperture step down lever that closes the aperture when I trip the shutter, I just hated having to press a button to take a reading. Now I just put the camera in AV or manual mode and it works beautifully, ya the view gets darker when I stop it down but then again that just reminds me of the old days with film cameras and now it does not even hamper me when I shoot, I do like the fact that I can actually see the DOF when I am composing, even if it comes at the cost of light or dark viewfinder.
I too have discovered the joy of using the old lenses, I recently purchased some old Vivitar lenses that are screw mount and out of those I like my 35mm 2.5 and 105mm F2.5, and 135 2.5, however I am still practicing with those lenses too.
Here is a shot I took with the 50mm about 6 months ago......

10-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #20

Original Poster
Great shot @ BirdDude. I appreciate the anecdote. As others have mentioned, I have slowed down some to focus on what I shoot, how I compose a shot and the result. Not as "snap a bunch and hope for the best" anymore. All a learning process.
10-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Nice pic, BirdDude007! I also have an M-50 1.4. It's consistently a stellar performer. Come to think of it, most of my best performing lenses are MF.
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sold glass when I finally moved from film to digital to acquire AF lens. The kit lenses are fine for general photography, but I couldn't pry my A-50mm/1.7 or my A-28mm/2.8 lenses out of my fingers. Still can't.
10-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
Site Supporter

At our family campout I left the shiny new AF glass behind and shot the happy group with my Rikenon 28mm. It turned out great, as I knew it would. I think that says it all for my IQ preference!

10-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks folks, if you follow the image to photobucket you will see some others there that I shot with the 50mm, I know i didn't include the lens info with the images but all the train shots were taken with the 50mm, one of the shots there is a before shot that came out of the camera in RAW file, and the rest of the shots are after a little TLC in LightRoom. I am really starting to figure out PP better and better every day.
The images I took with the 50mm lens are WAY sharper than they are shown in the image hosting site and in here as well. This lens is probably my sharpest lens, it will cut your eye when you look at the original file zoomed all the way in (pixel peeping)
10-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I received my Super Tak 50mm 1.4 last week and took these shots of my grandson yesterday. My first serious attempts with manual focus.........comments please..........they were both shot at f2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #26
Site Supporter

OK folks, any tips for manually focusing legacy glass without any focus assists?

I use manual focus for doing 1:1 but then I'm also using F16 so I have a reasonable chance of getting my target in focus. Trying to focus at distance with just the view through the optical viewfinder is another matter: no way is my eyesight good enough to judge accurate focus.

Live view on my K-5 is simply (for me, at least) unusable so I've never succeeded in using a magnified image on the screen.

I know about zone focus, but only of my lenses, the 21mm limited, is really suitable for this.
10-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I used live view for the 2 above and focused only on the eyes, but he kept moving around...........I would focus and wait a couple of seconds for a good expression and trip the shutter......took about 60 shots and threw away many due to soft focus on eyes....

Here's another with a bit sharper eye (I think)...............also at f2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-22-2012, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

4 aids for manual focus on a Pentax dSLR
#1- stop down to a middle-range aperture. By increasing the usable depth of field you will increase your odds for acceptable focus.
#2- use the focus aid in the viewfinder. It is an orthogon (an 8-sided shape), meant to represent the shape of a stopped down aperture, it also looks like a stop sign.
#3- use Catch in Focus mode. Preset you focus point and when the subject moves into focus, the camera will trip the shutter (probably best for a moving toddler as depicted above). Check your manual.
#4- change your camera's focusing screen to a design better suited for manual focus. Probably the best overall, but also costs some and involves camera modification.
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You know what your'e really going to love? When you go outside, focus on something like a blade of grass, look at your image, and think, "man I could never have gotten this with autofocus."

Or when you slap on some extension tubes and do something like this:
Wow, these are amazing!
10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks! The M-series lenses work perfectly for macro for me. They are easy to handle, due to their small size. Extension tubes make using macro lenses unnecessary for me. The image of the frog was actually taken through a piece of glass, as he was in a tank in an exhibit.