Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Ditto. If you check out my gallery, virtually everything in it was taken with an M lens. It is pretty rare that I use anything else.
Great stuff. At the moment I'd like to stick with an A lens because I'm still trying to learn how to properly use the camera in manual modes.

10-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Azorian Quote
At the moment I'd like to stick with an A lens because I'm still trying to learn how to properly use the camera in manual modes.
That makes sense. For what I do, I've never felt the need to use A lenses, because it is very easy to make adjustments to exposure manually. However, I don't usually shoot in lighting situations that change a lot. Actually, I've never felt that M lenses introduced any kind of difficulty into shooting, since they are all I had for a very, very long time. There is one area in which M lenses can't compete, though; you have finer control over the aperture (you can make adjustments in thirds of a stop) with them.

If you find a bargain on an M lens that you is too good to pass on, I'd recommend taking the leap...the people on this forum will definitely help you figure out how to use it. Plus, it's easy!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment about my gallery.
10-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sorry. I thought M lens meant manual lens; now I know it is a mount. Silly me, I can't figure out which forum to go to with each individual question I have. Should I start with my camera model (Kr) and post there? My questions are diverse. Is there an easy way to see all the forums in one list so I can narrow them down to the appropriate one in which to post? Any suggestions are welcome. And I am considering M-mount lenses in the near future.
10-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
I'm sorry. I thought M lens meant manual lens; now I know it is a mount. Silly me, I can't figure out which forum to go to with each individual question I have. Should I start with my camera model (Kr) and post there? My questions are diverse. Is there an easy way to see all the forums in one list so I can narrow them down to the appropriate one in which to post? Any suggestions are welcome. And I am considering M-mount lenses in the near future.
M-lenses are a series of lenses - they are all K-mount, however, meaning they will fit on a Pentax camera. The only other Pentax mount was the m42, or screwmount lenses made for the early model Pentax cameras & Spotmatics. M-lenses are completely manual, meaning they need their aperture set using the aperture ring on the lens, rather than the controls on the camera. You use them in manual (M) mode on the camera, using stop-down metering (the green button), and manually focused. They can also be used in Av mode, however they will only shoot wide-open (largest aperture on the lens).

From the lens review section: "The M series was the second generation of Pentax K-mount lenses; these lenses are generally smaller than their original K-series counterparts.
Manual-focus
Manual-aperture (aperture ring available)
Film & Digital"

The A-series followed, which were still manual-focus, but allowed all the metering modes, and could be controlled by the camera.

Last edited by paulh; 10-29-2012 at 09:03 AM.
10-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #50

Original Poster
I added a few more shots I captured on my M-50mm 1.4 of my son. See them here: Baby Noah - a set on Flickr
I realize things will get more difficult using an M lens when my son gets older and is moving around more.. Haha. For now I am learning a lot. Just purchased a M-28mm f2.8 to add to my collection. I will try and get an A lens soon.
10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Babies and toddlers, for the most part, are in consistent lighting during photo shoots. Your exposure values won't change much. However, little people tend to move more. In other words, you won't gain much going from an M-series lens to an A-series lens if this is the only intended purpose. Auto focus would be the bigger change.
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Babies and toddlers, for the most part, are in consistent lighting during photo shoots. Your exposure values won't change much. However, little people tend to move more. In other words, you won't gain much going from an M-series lens to an A-series lens if this is the only intended purpose. Auto focus would be the bigger change.
This is true. My purchase of A lenses would be for my own collection (LBA!), not for capturing my son. I do need some fast autofocus glass for when my son is a toddler.. My fastest AF being my tamron 17-50/2.8..