Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #1

Surprised w/ MF Lens

I have to say I surprised myself with my newest lens acquisition. I always knew I'd need/want a "fast fifty" for it's stellar performance for such a minimal price. Just last week I took the dive, apprehensively but enthusiastically. I ended up with a M 50mm f1.4. I was very skeptical about the manual focus. I had never tried this and thought of it as massively difficult. Ironically, I had never even tried putting my AF lenses into MF. Well I am happy to say I enjoy the challenge and my test shots weren't all that bad. This new found appreciation is going to hurt my pocket with LBA.. ::sighs::

Here are a few samples (both wide open):

First is of my son
Second is just a test in middle of my living room.

Any tips or comments are welcome. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by jaywes; 03-08-2015 at 06:04 PM.
10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got back from hiking with DA18-135, DA40, Sigma 15 fisheye and a $35 Rikenon 28mm. Yes it had a cPL filter on it, but whenever I hit the Rikenon shots I go Wow, they really are excellent. But let's face it, the other lenses took very nice images - and I did not have a 49 cPL for the DA40. One can get great results from the classics!
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its a good thing you did not try MF with an AF lens. Many of them have shorter focus throws, and funny focus ring locations that do make MF harder than it needs to be, and can be a turn off.

Now that you have tried and succeeded, go out and satisfy your LBA and get a dozen or so
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
This new found appreciation is going to hurt my pocket with LBA.. ::sighs::
Slippery slope and you are doomed... At first a few M's then you will discover the K's and sadly you will then discover Takumar, the bane of all wallets............

10-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Slippery slope and you are doomed... At first a few M's then you will discover the K's and sadly you will then discover Takumar, the bane of all wallets............
Truer words were never spoken . The M50/1.7 was my gateway lens...now it's an ongoing struggle. So many wasted hours scouring the PF Marketplace, craigslist, eb@y. You've been warned!
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
snip..........So many wasted hours scouring the PF Marketplace, craigslist, eb@y. You've been warned!
they are only wasted if you dont buy anything.
10-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've taken very nice images with even the M-50mm f2. There's nothing wrong with most of these lenses and the color response of some of this old glass is very nice.

10-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Truer words were never spoken . The M50/1.7 was my gateway lens...now it's an ongoing struggle. So many wasted hours scouring the PF Marketplace, craigslist, eb@y. You've been warned!
Paul,
Now I'm thinking I want a Tak 50mm 1.4 for my K5.................can I get either an M mount or a K mount? which would you get?

Dave
10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, I didn't even realize the potential. The door has just been swung open haha. I am looking at a few taks, Ms & As already! We shall see. Limited budget. I won't be going to crazy with the little one at home.
10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
can I get either an M mount or a K mount?
Takumars are M42, and you'll need the m42-K adapter. Well, there are a few k mount takumars, but they're "cheaper" and usually 28 and 135mm. Pentax M lenses are k mounts, but there are K and M pentax lenses (still k mounts).
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Rikenon LBA has saved me from going overboard, cash wise - just don't shoot directly into the sun to expose the old coatings!
Good luck with the new/old craze...
10-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I didn't even realize the potential. The door has just been swung open haha. I am looking at a few taks, Ms & As already! We shall see. Limited budget. I won't be going to crazy with the little one at home.
but just think, if you r"limited budget" is for limited lenses you can save quite a bit, although the nicer K & M lenses are getting somewhat hard to find, you can still build a kit pretty cheaply.

I don't know what my K mount setup has cost in total, but I built an M42 kit, which is quite impressive, spanning the range of 16mm through 300mm, and comprised of something like 17 lenses for a total outlay of $1300. in this entire kit, only 2 lenses cost more than $100 each, those were the 16mm zenitar (178 cdn new) and my super tak 85/1.9 (200CDN )

take those two out and you can see lenses can be reasonable. some cost as little as $9. Only one is an oddity, a 300/4.5 Nikkor-H lens where I replaced the mount with an M42 mount that I machined to retain the registry distance for infinity focus. that one cost me a total of $50.
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ohh no!!! You stumbled on the pentax pandora's box! Prepare to read a lot, search a lot, spend a lot, to satisfy this new addiction. I wish you the best! My only tip would be to try and always get the best you can, and don't settle for the cheap not tested lens because you'll end-up with a bunch of those cheapos and you won't even use them and then you'll have a hard time to get rid of them. But think of it this way, a well worth, sought-after lens would be an investment, if you don't need it anymore, I'm pretty sure someone will want to take it away your hands in the future.

And I bet in the future you would want to invest on a new camera that has focus peaking...

Just speaking from experience...

Good luck!
10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well I am happy to say I enjoy the challenge and my test shots weren't all that bad. This new found appreciation is going to hurt my pocket with LBA.. ::sighs::

You know what your'e really going to love? When you go outside, focus on something like a blade of grass, look at your image, and think, "man I could never have gotten this with autofocus."

Or when you slap on some extension tubes and do something like this:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-12-2012, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I also dare you to go to a beach (preferably with a pier) with a your M lens on a K1000 and a roll of film, and try not to buy any more lenses after you get your film back.