Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #31

fluent104, which M lenses do you own?

10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Azorian Quote
fluent104, which M lenses do you own?
28f2.8, 35 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 50 f2, 85 f2, and 135 f3.5. I used to own a 50 f1.7, but it was stolen.
10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #33

I'm considering the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 or the 1.4 as my first real lens for this camera. Which would you choose?
10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I would recommend the equally wonderful Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. You can use it just like the M-series lens if you wish, but your camera will also give you full access to all its features (except auto-focus of course) whenever the lens aperture ring is in the 'A' position.

10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #35

I didn't realize the A wasn't that much more money. Interesting.
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Which would you choose?
I've never owned the M50 f1.4 and M50 f1.7 at the same time, so I can't make a direct comparison. My guess would be that the 1.4 would be sharper at 1.7 than the 1.7 would be, but that is purely a guess. I have no information to back it up. That is why I sought out the f1.4, though. Not to mention that you never know when a you'll need that extra speed from the lens.
10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Not to mention that you never know when a you'll need that extra speed from the lens.
I opted to purchase the 50mm 1.4 over the 1.7 for that very reason. Plus I found a pristine version for $75 with an original Pentax case & both caps.

10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm considering the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 or the 1.4 as my first real lens for this camera. Which would you choose?
Only one voice among others. I have both and favor the 1.7. It seems sharper to me, it's slightly smaller and I would rate it's IQ better (these are all highly un-scientific judgments).
10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Only one voice among others. I have both and favor the 1.7. It seems sharper to me, it's slightly smaller and I would rate it's IQ better (these are all highly un-scientific judgments).
To be honest I cannot decide which one I prefer. What will probably end up happening is I'll buy the first 50mm I find that looks like a good deal... 1.4 or 1.7. I think I'd be happy with either of them.
10-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, I am new here, just got my K-r in September. I have a few questions that reveal my noobiness, but here goes: How do you attach an extension tube? Does it mount onto a lens, or is it lens-like on its own (I enjoy macro and really dig the frog shot, above).

Also--I got the Pentax K-r in part b/c I have old Sears lenses. So I tried the Sears 135mm f.2.8 in a stadium at half-time, not bad for an old manual lens. Then I tried the 28mm f 2.8 doing some close-ups at home and thought, hmmm, still need to experiment. Finally I tried the 50mm f 1.7 yesterday, just shooting some boys in the livingroom--WOW, WOW, and WOW again. I could not believe the portrait quality coming off this 70's lens (from a Sears camera package sold to my father-in-law back in the day).

These old manual lenses work on both Av and Manual; however, on Av I only get spot focusing, at least with the zoom lens. More details to come as I grow into my new K-r.

PS--Can anyone tell me what dimensions to post pictures so I can show what I am talking about ... or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks.

PPS--I would like some advice on vintage lenses. Scouting around for a better zoom.
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
timmijo:
First, tagging onto an existing thread with a new question may not be the best way to get an answer and it tends to makes the threads confusing, please consider starting a new thread when asking a new question.

Anyway, welcome aboard and ask away!

Old manual lenses work only in M and Av, that is correct and yes only center point focusing works. Here is a link to all you need to know for using manual lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Picture dimensions: Well, that ought to be a sticky somewhere but I cannot find it. In general 1,000 pixels wide should work. If a moderator has an official number please feel to correct me.

As to advice on vintage lenses you have come to the right place. Here is a link to the lens reviews on this forum: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database I think everything Pentax or Asahi ever made is included. There is also a third party section as well. Look at the top of the screen where it says "Lenses", cameras are there as well.

Edit: Here is the link for posting pictures: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html I knew there was a sticky somewhere.
10-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Hello, I am new here, just got my K-r in September. I have a few questions that reveal my noobiness, but here goes: How do you attach an extension tube? Does it mount onto a lens, or is it lens-like on its own (I enjoy macro and really dig the frog shot, above).

Also--I got the Pentax K-r in part b/c I have old Sears lenses. So I tried the Sears 135mm f.2.8 in a stadium at half-time, not bad for an old manual lens. Then I tried the 28mm f 2.8 doing some close-ups at home and thought, hmmm, still need to experiment. Finally I tried the 50mm f 1.7 yesterday, just shooting some boys in the livingroom--WOW, WOW, and WOW again. I could not believe the portrait quality coming off this 70's lens (from a Sears camera package sold to my father-in-law back in the day).

These old manual lenses work on both Av and Manual; however, on Av I only get spot focusing, at least with the zoom lens. More details to come as I grow into my new K-r.

PS--Can anyone tell me what dimensions to post pictures so I can show what I am talking about ... or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks.

PPS--I would like some advice on vintage lenses. Scouting around for a better zoom.
We look forward to seeing your photos. Which is your favorite lens so far?
10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
How do you attach an extension tube?
Extension tubes are literally just empty tubes. On side has the male side, which mounts onto the camera. The other side is female, and the lens is inserted into it. It is not unlike using a teleconverter, except there are no optics. The more tubes you mount, the closer you can focus your lens, and the more light you lose. The wonderful news is that they are very inexpensive. I think I paid around $20 or $30 for mine, but some people thought I was crazy for paying that much. I bought them because they are very robust, well built, Vivitar tubes.

Thanks for the compliment about the frog photo. I was happy with it, too. That was from an exhibit of wild frogs. The museum let me use a tripod and off-camera flash, which was a pleasant surprise.
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Azorian - if you're interested in the Pentax M-lenses, you should take a look here (if you haven't already): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/27739-m-club.html
Some fantastic examples of M-lens awesomeness on display here. Myself, my first was the M50/2, which showed me how much fun manual lenses can be. The "ah-ha" moment came when I got the M50/1.7 (and still use frequently). For me, the rendering, sharpness & colors are magical .
10-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
For me, the rendering, sharpness & colors are magical .
Ditto. If you check out my gallery, virtually everything in it was taken with an M lens. It is pretty rare that I use anything else.