Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-r darker than my Canon 300D

Hi All,

I'm in the market for the new K5 and since I'm a Canon 300D shooter, I thought I'd play with my wife's K-r to get used to a lighter and faster camera.

Everything is going well and I thought I'd try out a Takumar 55mm f/1.8. Still learning how to manually focus accurately with a non-macro lens so these are going to be crap photos! Took a few test shots and thought 'These are a bit dark' so I tried it on the Canon and they were much brighter. Double checked the settings and on both cameras (mounted on a tripod) and they are:

ISO 100
EV 0
AWB (Canon) Fluorescent Light Cool White (K-r)
Manual Focus
f/1.8
No flash

K-r (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5rsO919Odu8-Dzg8ymMYR9MTjNZETYmyPJy0li...eat=directlink)
Canon 300D (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ee-goFaOqekN3b1ZO8Qp3dMTjNZETYmyPJy0li...eat=directlink)

I've always found the AWB on Canon to be fairly accurate so I've never really bothered setting it manually whereas I've learnt I need to do so on a K-r. The real world scene matches the Canon image very closely.

Are K-r's normally darker or is it user error?

Cheers,
DNT

10-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
DNT

Original Poster
Being the genius that I am I didn't compare the kit lenses as I got caught up playing with the takumar. This was the first time I've played with it at night and the other test shots were done during the day.

Did the same test shot with the K-r & the Canon and it matches perfectly.
10-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One other note.... are you looking at jpegs as produced by each camera or RAW images? I'll be honest, I think my inexpensive Olympus P&S produces better in-camera jpeg images in regards to exposure and automatic white balance than my K-r. And when I look at how any of several RAW image viewers render the image (essentially creating their own jpeg rendering), they often look better than Pentax's in-camera jpeg processor.

I, like many in this forum shoot RAW. In fact, I just use a bigger SD card and shoot RAW + jpeg. For non-artistic record image shots, the in-camera jpeg is good enough and typically I just reduce the size before sending it off. For anything worth keeping, it is worthwhile to use my computer to create the jpeg from the RAW image.
10-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can adjust the jpeg settings on the K-r to give a brighter, punchier photo. Check around in the menus for them. They might be currently set to "normal" or "natural" (not familiar w/K-r menu), and you can change it to "bright", "vivid", etc. You can also adjust saturation & contrast.

10-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax DSLRs are set up as default to under-expose to save detail in the highlights. Just adjust the exposure.
10-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Default setting on the K-r is "bright" -- I was seeing some saturation issues and changed it to "natural", which helped a bit. These settings are on the K-r's "custom image" menus, easy enough to change, either from the LCD "info" display or from the menus.
10-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Like they said, the Kr's ar e set-up to be underexposed. to be honest I like shooting my photos underexposed a lil for post. But anyway I'm not here for that purpose, I just wanted to make sure that you know about the "Catch-in focus" feature, it's a great help for shooting manually (;

Good luck.

And P.S. If ever you get the K5 I know you'll love it. It's nowhere near the Kr.
10-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Pentax generally seems to under expose a bit. Both my K-x and the k-5 do anyway. I set exposure compensation up 1/3 stop and things usually come right. I think they are being intentionally conservative with metering to make sure nothing gets blown out.

Which metering mode you are in will also make a difference.

10-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
DNT

Original Poster
Thanks for the info all! I shoot in RAW by default so even if there is a bit of underexposure it's easy to handle. With the Canon I up it by 2/3 stops to get the right exposure and looks like I'll do something similar with the K-r.
10-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I regularly shoot with cannon shooters and their raw imges of a event are always brighter , to get them the same a small tweek with vibrance in lightroom as a batch usually fixes it. Vibrance alone fixes it and there is no need to fiddle with exposure or any other setting unless ther is a problem witha individual image.
10-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

DNT, I ran into this when I first started using Tak lenses on my K100DS/

They underexpose by about 1.3 or 1.5 EV. It has something to do with not shorting certain pins in the mount.

Use exposure compensatin to increase the exposure and life should be good.
11-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #12

It's not just a lens issue, the K-r is quite cautious with it's metering. The 16 segment metering tends to underexpose, even more so in lower light levels and quite a bit too (in some cases needed almost 2 stops correction) I found a slight improvement linking the metering to the AF point (won't apply to MF lenses though) you could try CW or spot..or by default increase the exposure. K-x was similar too. Bottom line is not the number of metering zones, but the performance..I've had issues with other makers though not as much as Pentax in this respect.
11-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
Hi All,

Everything is going well and I thought I'd try out a Takumar 55mm f/1.8. Still learning how to manually focus accurately with a non-macro lens so these are going to be crap photos! Took a few test shots and thought 'These are a bit dark' so I tried it on the Canon and they were much brighter. Double checked the settings and on both cameras (mounted on a tripod) and they are:

ISO 100
EV 0
AWB (Canon) Fluorescent Light Cool White (K-r)
Manual Focus
f/1.8
No flash

Are K-r's normally darker or is it user error?

Cheers,
DNT
On the Pentax try EV +1.3 (works on my K100DS). If it is not exactly right try a couple of settings bracketing around it. I find htis works relaibly with all my M42 lenses when using AV mode.