Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somerset, NJ, USA
Posts: 25
Pentax SMC-A 35 mm f/2 lens with K-r

I would like to know if I have to do anything special (e.g menu settings on my K-r) when I attach my 35 mm SMC-A lens to my K-r as a "standard" (equivalent to about 52 mm in FF) lens to shoot. The lens has the auto (A) setting on the aperture ring (unlike the older K, M and M42 type lenses). I know I need to set it at the A setting on the aperture ring on the lens. When I set this lens to the A setting I am assuming that I will need to set the aperture using the e-dial. Correct ? Also since this lens is still manual focus only I have to switch to MF focus setting on the K-r. Correct ? Then what ? Any help would be welcome. Thanks.


Last edited by psur45; 10-27-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added info
10-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
RollsUp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: AK USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,389
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7...)
10-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,401
Then point, focus, and click!

The one other step would be to set the focal length for shake reduction. You can either do that from the menu (camera icon, page 4, "Input Focal Length") or by turning the camera off and on - it should ask for a focal length.

Since it's an A lens, you can pretty much do anything with it that you could do with a later lens (except autofocus), so long as the aperture ring is set to 'A'. If you want to choose an aperture (Av mode), set it with the thumbwheel on the camera, not the ring on the lens.
10-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,304
QuoteOriginally posted by psur45 Quote
I would like to know if I have to do anything special (e.g menu settings on my K-r) when I attach my 35 mm SMC-A lens to my K-r as a "standard" (equivalent to about 52 mm in FF) lens to shoot. The lens has the auto (A) setting on the aperture ring (unlike the older K, M and M42 type lenses). I know I need to set it at the A setting on the aperture ring on the lens. When I set this lens to the A setting I am assuming that I will need to set the aperture using the e-dial. Correct ? Also since this lens is still manual focus only I have to switch to MF focus setting on the K-r. Correct ? Then what ? Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
There is no need to set the AF/MF switch to MF. I would recommend setting Catch-In-Focus in the Custom menu to On (2). CIF will prevent the camera from taking a picture unless the AF system has a focus lock.

Other than that just keep the lens set to A and it will function as an auto lens.

10-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,817
If you move the aperture ring off the A position, the camera goes back to the very limited functionality of an M or K lens. Generally there is no advantage to that. The only reason I can think of is to eliminate the P-TTL preflash, but at the cost of having the flash blast away at full power.

Only the center AF point works, which makes sense. If you're using that lens a lot, you might turn off the focus point indicator dots [Custom Settings 2] [8. Superimpose AF Area].

SR works when you enter the focal length. If you have only one manual focus lens, the camera will continue to use the last focal length you manually entered. But nobody has just one.

Some picture or scene modes automatically switch the AF to AF.C mode, sometimes adding Continuous Shooting. They are Moving Object, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Kids and Pet. These should still work with a manual-focus lens, but the camera is thinking it's OK to blast off a lot of photos and the focus will catch up eventually. You will have a tough time focusing because the viewfinder will be blocked by all the shots being taken. So those modes are not that useful.

The great thing is, the multi-segment metering works fine, so P-TTL flash works fine, P, Av, Sv and Tv work, and you can just concentrate on focus.
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,246
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Only the center AF point works, which makes sense. If you're using that lens a lot, you might turn off the focus point indicator dots [Custom Settings 2] [8. Superimpose AF Area].
What Just1MoreDave above stated is true but I like the focus point indicator ON because it tells you when the camera focus system thinks the image is in focus, It helps me manual focus, speeds things up like the old split image screens.

Hans
11-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,246
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is no need to set the AF/MF switch to MF. I would recommend setting Catch-In-Focus in the Custom menu to On (2). CIF will prevent the camera from taking a picture unless the AF system has a focus lock.

Other than that just keep the lens set to A and it will function as an auto lens.
The only problem with Catch-In-Focus is the camera determines when the image is taken not you, you may loose the exact time when wanted the image taken. I have had the best luck with manual lenses leaving the AF on and the indication led's on center point ON. That way you have control and some indication of focus in addition to the screen.

Hans
Reply
« Flash | Shooting IR »

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, camera, focus, k-r, kr, lens, mm, pentax k-r, pentax smc-a, smc-a
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: DA 55-300 Lens, AF360GZ Pentax Flash, SMC Pentax-A 50:1.7 Lens Melvin Sold Items 7 01-04-2012 03:38 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro lens + smc-A 24mm f/2.8 lens (US) chemxaj Sold Items 7 07-07-2011 08:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: [US] SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm Lens, SMC Pentax-A 1.7 50mm soundview Sold Items 4 02-15-2010 02:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax SMC P-FA 35mm F/2.0 AL Wide Angle Autofocus Lens - MINT dimako Sold Items 6 01-30-2009 02:04 AM
SMC Pentax-A 50/1.2 vs. SMC Takumar 50/1.4 (Normal Lens Shootout Final) carpents Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-22-2007 05:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top