Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Flash

Hi guys, im new to all this photography stuff but i know i need a decent flash on the camera other than the built in one, can anyone recomend one to me please???? nothing to pricey

10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Metz 50
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that. Unless you're planning on using the flash off-camera a lot, in which case you might want to go with a Yongnuo flash, which is a manual-only flash.
10-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

is there any automatic flash?

10-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaya Quote
is there any automatic flash?
Look here for a list of which Pentax flashes have what features.
10-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind going with a used flash, I really like the Sunpak 422D. It's both manual and automatic, and it has variable power, which is very handy.
10-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been pretty happy with my Sigma DG-Super Series. Get the highest guide number (power) you can afford.

Photo 4 Less - Professional Photography Equipment, SLR Cameras, Lenses, Flashes

Tim
10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks guys, looks like i have a lot of research to do

10-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Unless you have a K-30 I would strongly recommend the Metz 58 AF-2.

If you do intend to use it with K-30 it has currently some limitations (incompatibility). The most significant limitation is the High Speed Sync, which may or may not be important to you. It also seems to be a bit unreliable (when used with K-30) in the auto exposure, typically severely underexposing some shots.

I also use the same flash with the K-r and it has no such issues.

One very positive point about this flash is that the firmware is easily upgradeable by USB, just as you would upgrade the camera firmware. This means that such limitations and incompatibilities that crop up when new cameras are launched can be sorted out without having to send the flash to a service centre. This means that the limitations I mention are likely to be solved quite soon. I have contacted Metz and they confirm that they know about the issue and it is on their to-do list, even if they could not give me a specific date when they would issue the firmware update.

edit: I just realised that this is the K-r thread so I assume you will be using the flash with a K-r. So the problems I mention do not apply.

Last edited by lister6520; 10-30-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Didn't realise this was the K-r thread
10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use 2 old auto 1980's vintage flashes a Pentax AF200T and a Sunpack Auto 30DZ, just set shutter speed to 180 and aperture to chart on flash and it works on auto flash mode for the range stated on the flash. You should be able to get a good flash on Craigslist for less than $50 What ever flash you chose watch the trigger voltage, see link for chart Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Hans
10-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
this might sound a bit stupid buts whats the difference between a manual and an automatic flash????? im just shooting landscapes and macro stuff no studio work
10-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheCornishGiant Quote
this might sound a bit stupid buts whats the difference between a manual and an automatic flash????? im just shooting landscapes and macro stuff no studio work
Upfront, flash and landscape photography rarely cross paths unless you are adding light to a closer subject in front of a landscape. I'll suggest that light reflectors are a lot less expensive and can often do a better job in this situation. There are nice folding cloth type reflectors, but even a sheet of white posterboard can work quite well.

A manual flash puts out a certain percentage of its capabilities based on the photographer's input. Old flashes tend to offer only one setting - 100%. And be VERY careful using many old flashes on current camera bodies. Current camera bodies have much lower voltage tolerances and old flashes tend to pump high voltages through the camera.

In broad terms, there are two types of automatic flashes. One type uses the camera's metering system to stop the flash output when the subject has enough light and the other uses a sensor built into the flash to make this same determination.

The in-camera type of automation varies both between brands of cameras and models of cameras. In the Pentax world there is both TTL and the newer P-TTL systems. The K-r can only use P-TTL and doesn't support the older TTL system.
The in-flash type of automation typically uses something called a 'thyristor'. On Pentax's flashes supporting this type of automation there is usually a 'T' in the model name.

Again, old flashes and new cameras are often not a good mix.
10-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
thanks Jim thats awsome.
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ring flash is very nice for Macro.
10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Yes, that (Metz 50). Unless you're planning on using the flash off-camera a lot, in which case you might want to go with a Yongnuo flash, which is a manual-only flash.
Why is the Metz 50 not good off-camera? It has wireless P-TTL AFAIK.