Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Possible to adjust LCD screen "exposure"?

Hi, gang -

During live view, the displayed image is adjusted to be most visible, rather than based on exposure settings. This behavior is good for low-light focusing, etc. But I ran into a situation last night in which this behavior was not desired. I was shooting the full moon, and the view on the LCD screen always had a fully washed-out moon (over-"exposed"). The photos were exposed fine, but I could not use the LCD screen for focusing, as I would have just been focusing on a blown-out white blob. Does the K-r have any means of controlling this behavior?

Thanks -
Ryan

10-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just set the AE metering to spot and keep the moon in the centre. It works even if you shoot in manual exposure. The display brightness auto adjustment appears to take into account the spot/centre weighted/area settting. The moon will apear in a nice middle tone perfect for focusing.

If you want to use a different AE setting just set to spot while focusing and then change back to whichever mode you prefer just before shooting the photo.

Actually if you use the exposure meter at all, whether for AE or to get the right manual setting you would need to use spot anyway to shoot the moon unless you are using a very long focal length, like over 800mm.