Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #1

Has anybody else had such a bad experience with a Kr

I would love to say that I am a happy Kr user. I love my KR it takes wonderful shots but I bought it in September 2010 and bu December 2011 is had to go back to have the AV TV PCB replaced. One of those things so I sent it back and it was sorted. By January 2012 it was back at JP services because the flash did not work properly OK you say these things happen but now its back at JP Services for the selector knob no longer selecting manual or sensitive priority modes. Repair cost 204. this makes it clearly uneconomical to repair. I loved pentax but my experience with the Kr has not been a good one.

11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey, stuff happens. The Nikon 18-55, bought when we were buying our camera a few years ago, had to go to the repair shop twice. The first time it was the lens AF motor. No problems like that in Pentax land, eh? Had I known more back then, I would've bought a K-r myself.
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any manufacturer out there will have it's share of duds. If it was me I'd write Pentax and politely complain and see what they do. 3X in a repair shop obviously you had a bad K-r and should have had it replaced before the warranty ended not just fixed. Put it in writing. Include copies of the repair receipts showing that this camera has been serviced 3X. Maybe they'll offer to replace it for you or at least fix it for free. I hope so. I'd like to hope that something like that would not go unaddressed by Pentax. But go above the level of the repair shop to corporate. They should know that that camera has been to the Pentax shop TWICE already and still has issues. That's not good and you shouldn't be charged when it's likely you had a dud camera to begin with.
11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-r and am happy, but some time ago I noticed the flash doesn't work (don't know why or since when). I don't think I'll try to send it back or anything. Its too bad, but it happens. And its too bad you had such bad luck.. but thats also not very common. Yes, some people have problems and that is sadly the way most gadgets these days seem to be.. At this point you might want to save up for a more robust DSLR, like the K-30 or K-5. And always get extended warranty with electronics.

11-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've had my K-r for about a year and a half and not had any issues with it that needed repair. It has behaved oddly on a few rare occasions but nothing that I would need to complain about. On the contrary, it has survived some ordeals that it probably shouldn't have. The fact that it is working at all is already fantastic, let alone working perfectly as when it was new.

I also have a K-30 since August, no issues with that either.
11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

That's unfortunate. I have a flawless K-r also and wouldn't replace it with anything in the near future.
11-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies one and all especially magkelly. I was and still am hoping that people it Pentax corporate do look at there posts from time to time. But I will write to customer service and see what happens. Certainly the old Pentax would have dealt with it lets so what Ricoh do
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

My K-r had to go in for repair work in September. I had purchased it the previous September and the flash never charged so it worked once and never again. I had assumed the problem was the user and not the camera until I took an intensive course and the instructor couldn't get it to fire. I knew then I had a problem. It took 5 weeks to be repaired but has been great ever since.
I was disappointed that I had to go 5 weeks without it. To have it have 3 issues would make me pretty upset too. The flash unit problem has happened to at least two other PF members so I suspect many more have this problem too.
Let us know what happens when you contact Pentax.