Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

F-STop --- How do adjust it???

Hi all ... I have been using my KR mostly in manual mode and so far have had real good luck switching from my old 35mm, SLR cameras to the DSLR format. I have yet to figure out how to adjust the f-stop. How in the world do I do this? I use manual mode almose exclusively and have the lens set to manual as well. I know the wheel adjusts the shutter speed... I can adjust ISO, white balance etc. F-stop escapes me. HELP this poor odl guy out please!

11-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

If it's an A series lens, leave it set to 'A'. Use the AV+- button to switch between shutter speed and aperture.
11-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lens are you using? If it's an auto aperture lens, set the aperture ring to A. If it's a DA-series lens, you don't have an aperture ring, so don't worry about that part. Then you can use the e-dial to adjust the aperture whenever you're in M*, Av, or P* mode (you'll be able to see the chosen setting in the viewfinder and on the status screen).

If it's a manual aperture lens, set your camera to M mode and use the aperture ring to set the aperture. Then, follow these steps to meter:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

*hold down the exposure compensation button while turning the e-dial in these modes to access the aperture

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikedmc Quote
Hi all ... I have been using my KR mostly in manual mode and so far have had real good luck switching from my old 35mm, SLR cameras to the DSLR format. I have yet to figure out how to adjust the f-stop. How in the world do I do this? I use manual mode almose exclusively and have the lens set to manual as well. I know the wheel adjusts the shutter speed... I can adjust ISO, white balance etc. F-stop escapes me. HELP this poor odl guy out please!
My lens is labeled "SMC Pentax-DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mmAL" across the front of the lens. I read the article referred to and it speaks of using my old manual lenses which have the f-stop ring attached to the lens. On the automatic lenses, there is no such ring. There is an f-stop indicated on the LED but it is perpetually locked in at f8.0. That is in manual mode. In Av, I can adjust aperture but loose control of shutter speed. Call me a control freak, but I want to be able to change f-stop, shutter speed and ISO all at once. In full manual I should be able to do that. How?

11-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My lens is labeled "SMC Pentax-DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mmAL" across the front of the lens. I read the article referred to and it speaks of using my old manual lenses which have the f-stop ring attached to the lens. On the automatic lenses, there is no such ring. There is an f-stop indicated on the LED but it is perpetually locked in at f8.0. That is in manual mode. In Av, I can adjust aperture but loose control of shutter speed. Call me a control freak, but I want to be able to change f-stop, shutter speed and ISO all at once. In full manual I should be able to do that. How?
See my reply (post #3).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2012, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holding down the +/-Av button, turn the e-dial. That should do it. Page 110 of the manual.
11-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This seems to be the ticket. I had hoped to be able to do everything in one mode, but can live with presenting the f-stop in Av before heading into manual mode. Thank you all for your help.

11-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
This seems to be the ticket. I had hoped to be able to do everything in one mode, but can live with presenting the f-stop in Av before heading into manual mode. Thank you all for your help.
It won't work. As soon as you switch modes, the camera will likely forget whatever aperture you set in Av mode. Go into manual mode, then use the advice given above to hold down the exposure compensation button to adjust the aperture using the wheel on the back of your camera.
11-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Now it makes sense

Just1moreDave ... Your answer was spot on ... had I read it while awake, instead of half asleep, would have made a lot of sense. Now that I have had a good night sleep, and looked at the pages you suggested, all has become clear. Thank you.