Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #1

Macro advice - reversing kit lens

Hi Guys,

Not long ago I bought a Pentax 100mm MF macro lens with some extension tubes to get me into macro photography. So far this setup has been working pretty well but since seeing this guy on YouTube -
I'm thinking about reversing one of my lenses on the tubes.

I've got a 50mm Ricoh Rikenon prime, my 18-55 kit lens or a sigma 28-70 lens I could reverse - which would be the best one to go with?

Also what kit do I need to do this and is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Alex

12-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I've got a 50mm Ricoh Rikenon prime, my 18-55 kit lens or a sigma 28-70 lens I could reverse - which would be the best one to go with?

Also what kit do I need to do this and is there anything else I should be aware of?
A prime lens is usually the best bet, 28mm and 50mm both work very well. It can be done with the 18-55mm if you want, but you need to control the aperture somehow. I don't know if the Sigma has an aperture ring or not, but if it doesn't then it will need the same treatment as the 18-55mm.

The reverse mounts are found all over eBay in various thread sizes, there really aren't any bad ones out there. Just find one that fits your filter thread.

You can also reverse one lens in front of another, there are formulas to calculate magnification ratios with different combinations, but I don't have them handy right now.
12-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I suggest you use 50mm prime as it probably has best optical quality. You will also need a flash to be able to freeze the action.
Then you just need a couple of hundreds hours practice.
12-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Then you just need a couple of hundreds hours practice.
Measured in exposure time?

Thomas makes that stuff look and sound easy, he is also very modest, just because you're using similar gear as him doesn't mean that you can create those images. He also focus stacks those images, so it isn't just one shot, it is a composite of many images together to get that kind of depth of field.

12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Measured in exposure time?

Thomas makes that stuff look and sound easy, he is also very modest, just because you're using similar gear as him doesn't mean that you can create those images. He also focus stacks those images, so it isn't just one shot, it is a composite of many images together to get that kind of depth of field.
I realise that, I've been having a go at Macro photography for a while with my 100mm MF lens and tubes and I still find it very hard work! I want to try some focus stacking too, I'd just heard about reversing lenses so was interested how it would compare to just using my 100mm lens.
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting topic why 50 over 28? Thomas is using 5x magnification via reversed takumar 28 and extension. I think the longer the focal length the lesser the magnifying effect when extension is used. But wide lens seems to have closer focus distance and most bugs hate it.

Translation; anybody done it enough to share?
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So far as I am concerned, it is way too much trouble to mount a lens in reverse mode that doesn't have an aperture ring. The only exception would be if I wanted to shoot wide open - and that would be a rare event indeed when shooting macro.
12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

I decided to give micro a try, haven't tried it with a DSLR. Instead of jumping through hoops I purchased a like new Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens from Amazon, it arrived last Friday.

I paid $373.43 includes lens, state tax, and over night shipping (I was anxious to get it).

Took it out for a few minutes and didn't get a chance to look at photos till this AM, not a one was worth keeping. Tested for focus accuracy and found it was back-focusing it took awhile but it's now dialed in and ready to shoot.
Luckily, I have PK tether because it ended up needing a +25 adjustment. I have 2 additional primes and neither requires an adjustment greater than 2 either way. Now if the weather will cooperate .

12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #9

Weather here isn't cooperating wind, rain, cold, and dark wont allow me outside. Took a couple of shots of a toy after fine tune adjustments. Focus was on the scroll before adjustment I couldn't get it to focus.

Not very inspiring photo's. Lots to learn with this lens and Micro in general, especially dof control.

f8

f2.8

Last edited by geru2000; 12-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
12-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

Deleted

Last edited by geru2000; 12-18-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Double Posting