Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
new photos

hi guys and girls
i know its kinda cheeky but im trying to get a bit of recognition and ive started a facebook page sharing my images.
all my photos are taken with the k-r and various lenses.
please head over to my photography page here: Facebook
comments and crituque welcome
like and share if you like

12-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't try putting any high res images on there. Facebook recently made changes to where every image you upload, they own it and can do anything with it and even sell them. It's best to have an external link to your Facebook's photography page where you upload only small low res 72 ppi images once in awhile to bring the people who like them to look at them in your own portfolio or website.
12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Facebook recently made changes to where every image you upload, they own it and can do anything with it and even sell them.
Link?
12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Link?
When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.
Does Facebook Own Your Photos? | Tyler Ingram Dot Com

However if you want some peace with your photos that you add on Facebook,
"Facebook: Relax, we won't sell your photos."

Under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.” Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you! You should be aware that once your photos or videos are shared on Facebook, it could be impossible to delete them from Facebook, even if you delete the content or cancel your account (the content still remains on Facebook servers and they can keep backups)! So, although you may be able to withdraw your consent to the use of photos on Facebook, you should also keep in mind that if you share your photos and videos with Facebook applications, those applications may have their own terms and conditions of how they use your creation! You should read the fine print to make sure you are not agreeing to something that you don’t want to have happen.
Who Owns Photos and Videos Posted on Facebook or Twitter?

A more recent link: A notice doesn’t help: Facebook still gets rights to your pictures | dvafoto

12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That one.

It's actually the same with flickr or any other image site.
They need to make copies of your stuff so they can display them on the website.
Also they are allowed to use it for self promotion but they arent allowed to sell it to any third party though, they don't own the photo or the rights. You only give them the right to use the content for their own services.

flickr: info.yahoo.com/legal/ie/yahoo/utos/en-ie/

10.2. For photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available on publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo! Services, you give to Yahoo! the worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to use, distribute, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, publicly perform and publicly display the User Content on the Yahoo! Services:

Also Pentaxforums.com you give them the rights, but here they are even more vague what they can do with it since they dont restrict themselve to their own services.
QuoteQuote:
By posting content on the forum, each user acknowledges that it may be altered, removed, or stored at any time, and that the Forum maintains ownership of all posts submitted to it.

Last edited by Anvh; 12-12-2012 at 05:11 PM.
12-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys very helpful info. I did not know that :/ suppose I ought to read up more about it don't particularly like the idea of people knicking my photos
12-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
don't particularly like the idea of people nicking my photos
Then don't put them anywhere on the web. Wherever they are, someone will find a way.
12-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
Isn't part of the reason we tale photos is to share our work with others

12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes but people are thinking about dooms day scenario, hell the 21 the world ends anyway so why care?
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
Isn't part of the reason we take photos is to share our work with others
Yes, sure it is. Like you, I also have a Flickr account but the images I put up there are low res and I expect that some of them may have been nicked or stolen. I don't really care. If I have an image that I don't want to be used elsewhere, I won't upload it.