Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Like I said, I have both a K-r and a K-5. I never have experienced significant AF issues with K-5 and only very infrequently on the K-r. I don't have any other brands to compare them to, but some people think that Pentax AF is not up to par with others like Nikon. I really can't comment on it except to say that I am not a professional photographer that relies on AF.
The consumer-level cameras of Nikon in general and Canon in particular are of less than satisfactory quality.
I know half a dozen people personally, whose Canons have either died on them prematurely or made their
photography life hell with recurring error messages. The kind of money that these two companies invest in
aggressive marketing does come at the expense of product quality. Let's face it: people will want an upgrade
before they have even properly learnt to use the product already in their possession. Canon and Nikon are
well aware of this: shower the consumers with shite because they deserve no better.

Pentax, on the other hand, cater to a niche market. Nikon and Canon can get away with poor quality, whereas
omissions in quality control could prove fatal to Pentax. I have experienced none of the mentioned problems
with my K-r. And on those rare occasions when the camera does have hard time focusing, I switch to manual.
What's the big deal?

Dom

12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean31 Quote
$$$ is the big deal for me. For what I paid for the Kr or would have to pay for the K5, I'd like it to automatically focus when I had it in auto-focus mode. I'm not adverse to using manual focus at all, but if Pentax is going to relegate me to using manual focus, then I suspect I could do it alot cheaper than what I'm currently doing it. That's why I'm here...to try and research before I buy and over-spend again.

If Pentax can't provide me reliable auto-focus for <$1000, who can? I'm interested.

Dean
If you have money to burn, then I am sure you will find something that meets your needs.
If you want high quality below 1000 USD, then there is only one option.

Dominic
12-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
given all the Pentax focusing issues
I haven't had focusing issues. yes I did calibrate for my most used lens, but I suspect many K-r photographers probably wouldn't have even noticed that a tweak was needed, or have known how to do it properly. I don't call that a 'focusing issue'. The rest of the auto-focus 'issues' I've seen happen with EVERY other autofocus camera I've owned/used, some a lot more often than my K-r, none with fewer. You have to learn how to see the problems before they occur and understand how your camera (whatever brand or model) will interpret the scene.
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Gallery
It all depends. I am a firm believer that your pictures are only as good as the weakest item in your equipment box (which, for most people, is themselves ). I have the K-r, but only have some old and cheap FA glass (the good old rattly plastic zooms...). Right now I find that the camera's capabilities way outclass the glass, so I'm mostly held back by the glass, not the camera. It then makes sense that my next upgrade path is glass. Once I have that all sorted then the glass will most likely be way better than the K-r, and then I'll get a new camera to match the new glass. If I already had the glass now, then I'd be looking at a K5-IIs in no time. So it all depends where you are at in terms of gear and what the weakest link is in your work process, and get that aspect upgraded/improved.

12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have had my KR for a year now and I'm still holding on to my trusty K100D. I intend to use both as much as possible as they both have their own individual advantages and works well when you want to use different lenses on the same subject.
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My first Pentax DSLR was a K-r and I still use it. But I also got a K-01 because it was such a great deal. Now, I think the K-01 actually produces better stills and has a more exact AF (though, slower). So I use the K-r for some shots and the K-01 for others.
So in terms of features, the K-r is good enough for me, but technology keeps improving, so I am always excited about new sensors and features like focus peaking. But I don't think the K-30 or K-5IIs would be a justified upgrade for me, because I am not a pro and I'm on a budget, I'll wait for a couple more years to see how the technology changes.
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Unregistered User

I just read about the Kr's "mirror flip" problem as well and didn't realize it was this common...I thought my camera was just spazzing out but in addition to the focusing issues, it would also lock up on me and sound like it was taking it's own pictures when I didn't touch a button, or when I did try to take a picture, it just sounded like it was.
So, now you remember that you had a problem with mirror flip as well? I had a similar problem with a Nikon
many years ago. This is not a scientologist forum; no one here is going to dissuade you from switching to
another brand. Considering that you have experienced so many problems with Pentax, it might be good for
your own well-being to try something else.

Dom

12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
So, now you remember that you had a problem with mirror flip as well? I had a similar problem with a Nikon
many years ago. This is not a scientologist forum; no one here is going to dissuade you from switching to
another brand. Considering that you have experienced so many problems with Pentax, it might be good for
your own well-being to try something else.

Dom
lol....just due diligence before I make my next purchase, and hopefully putting info out there that helps someone else make a decision that is right for them. Sorry I'm not blindly cheering these lemons on. It just facts I'm after and I want to do my homework. This has helped me decide against the K5.

Now the K30 is looking to be a good choice in this price range....UNLESS it's plagued by the same issues troubling the KR and the K5.

And in keeping in line of the name of the thread, Kr Owners Still Happy? I'm happy I sold it.
12-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have an even older camera, the K-x... and I'm still blissfully happy. Not only that, but I'm also really digging the shots I get from my ancient *ist DS! As far as I'm concerned, when I get to that certain level of IQ... when I can view it at 100% and wonder how it could get any better... I'm good, thanks.

I shot all-manual 35mm gear for 20 years before owning my first DSLR. The stuff that I can do with my old "obsolete" Pentax digital gear blows me away. So yeah.. I'm a happy camper. :-)
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I know half a dozen people personally, whose Canons have either died on them prematurely or made their photography life hell with recurring error messages.
Yeah, and I'm one of those people. Granted, it was a Canon P&S, but a $300 one... and it died because of a known sensor issue that Canon issued a recall for. When I called them about it, they said I was 2 days too late for them to take care of it under their recall. But they did offer to trade in my Canon for a newer refurb, that after I checked, would cost me more than the same model new from Amazon.

So FU Canon. You've sold your last product to me.
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
Unregistered User

lol....just due diligence before I make my next purchase, and hopefully putting info out there that helps someone else make a decision that is right for them. Sorry I'm not blindly cheering these lemons on. It just facts I'm after and I want to do my homework. This has helped me decide against the K5.

Now the K30 is looking to be a good choice in this price range....UNLESS it's plagued by the same issues troubling the KR and the K5.

And in keeping in line of the name of the thread, Kr Owners Still Happy? I'm happy I sold it.
The facts you are seeking you will never get, because all companies without exception are reluctant
to divulge figures related to reported problems. That Canon's error messages have made their way
into the encyclopedias is a testimony to this company's poor quality control. Pentax are not quite as
bad.

Dominic
12-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

That's good info. I may go back to the Kx, I too was blissfully happy with that camera. At this point, I don't know why I even tried to upgrade.
if you're unhappy with what you have now, here's what I'd do: Pick up a used K-x & wait to see what's happening with the new Pentax/Ricoh-era gear. I haven't heard any complaints about the K-30... Maybe that's something you could consider in the future.

Because of the potential mirror-slap issue, I actually would prefer the K-x over the K-r. By the way... I actually have two K-x's. And my wife has one, as well as a K100D. All are chugging along nicely. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

Cheers & happy shooting,
Bobbo :-)
12-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #28

The facts you are seeking you will never get, because all companies without exception are reluctant
to divulge figures related to reported problems. That Canon's error messages have made their way
into the encyclopedias is a testimony to this company's poor quality control. Pentax are not quite as
bad.

Dominic
Thank you for this info. This is not something I knew, but it makes sense. Apologies for my frustration. I had high hopes out of my Kr and now I'm virtually camera-less until I make a decision.

I don't really see any significant drawbacks to the K30 which is in my price range, and from what I've researched (sorry, that's what I'm limited to), it looks like it out-performs it's competitors. The focusing problem of my Kr was a big deal to me and the reason I sold, so I don't want to buy another with similar issues especially if they are somewhat known and I just didn't research them.
12-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote

Because of the potential mirror-slap issue, I actually would prefer the K-x over the K-r. By the way... I actually have two K-x's. And my wife has one, as well as a K100D. All are chugging along nicely. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

Cheers & happy shooting,
Bobbo :-)
It would be interesting to know how big a problem this really was. I have heard about mirror slap problems
in regard to the Kx as well. Having worked for a big and obnoxious computer manufacturer, I can testify to
the fact that initial batches almost always carry some infant diseases. These problems are then attended
to and done away with to the point that their recurrence is highly unlikely in subsequent batches.

My Kr has been running flawlessly and its autofocusing improved considerably after the firmware update
was carried through. I do not think I have been unusually lucky. I would assume that I am in the same boat
as the majority of Kr owners.

Dom
12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I bought a K-r as my first DSLR for 430&euro; one year ago.

I've been happy with it but I was missing WR capabilities so I thought about buying a used K10D or K20D for this matter. But they are still selling for 200-300&euro;.

And last month I stumbled upon a deal for the K-30 at 485&euro;.
So I pulled the trigger, because I prefer to have 1 body than 2 and most important I could fund the K-30 by selling the K-r. And better selling it now than next year to get a better price.

Also, I've been using a K-01 for 6 months and I've been spoiled with the sensor and the focus peaking

Moreover, I encountered the mirror-flip issue a few months ago, which happened to solve by itself, but I was afraid that it would come back.

So I finally sold it for 350&euro;. I was a bit sad because I really liked this little camera but the K-30 is just better in every ways

I plan to keep the K-30 longer than the K-r, but if next year there is a 24 Mp K-40 at less than 500&euro;, well... You never know