Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dhorvath Quote
I've had mine for a little over 2 years and am still happy with it. I'll use it until it dies or the price for 30+MP DSLR gets down around the MSRP for the K-r.

I was using a Ricoh KR-10 (purchased 1987) until I found an Olympus digital point&shoot could meet 80% of my needs. Then I knew it was time to finally upgrade to DSLR. I still have the Ricoh and my backup Pentax K1000.
Almost another year has passed, thousands of photos including another trip to Europe (Normandy and Paris mostly) as well as general snapshots. I'm happier with this camera than I have been with any film camera. I love the flexibility of going to AA batteries for power as a backup. Any time I'm in the woods, it is in my backpack (usually wrapped in rain gear to keep it safe).

12-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is still a great camera. Though its picky about only using auto-lenses.
12-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dhorvath Quote
I've had mine for a little over 2 years and am still happy with it. I'll use it until it dies or the price for 30+MP DSLR gets down around the MSRP for the K-r.

I was using a Ricoh KR-10 (purchased 1987) until I found an Olympus digital point&shoot could meet 80% of my needs. Then I knew it was time to finally upgrade to DSLR. I still have the Ricoh and my backup Pentax K1000.
The Ricoh Kr-10 was also my first SLR, and the only non digital one actually. My first digital SLR was a K-r (which I still have) and now I've gone full circle and my latest SLR is again a Ricoh, well its back side is.

The K-r still works fine but I use it very little. Until recently it was my second body but since getting the K-3 the K-30 has replaced it as second body. It will probably soon be put to work again when I manage to pick up the courage to send my K-3 to get the top display repaired.
12-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had my Kr for about 1 1/2 years (also my 1st DSLR) and pretty happy with it. I would be interested upgrading (K-5II or something on that line), but don't have the money. Likely will use the Kr until it meets its end.

12-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #50
Forum Member

I'm also happy with my K-r. I've picked up a number of older lenses, some K-mount, a couple M42, and they all work great with my K-r. Unless I become a pro or catch a winning lottery ticket, I don't see any reason to replace it.
01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a K-r from launch up until mid last year when money got tight and I had to sell it. Finances have gotten better though and I now have a K-50, and my girlfriend is getting into photography so I'm thinking of getting her a K-r to get her started. It's really a fantastic tool even today, and I would still be using mine had I not had to sell it.
01-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #52
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Have the K-r. Still use it occasionally when I want a light system without the strict need for WR.
Must admit though that the K-5 gets a lot more mileage due to its slightly better/faster AF in low light.
Otherwise, it is 12Mp of sheer excellence. The display impresses me above that of the K-x and lower generations.
01-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #53

I've had my K-r for about a year now and I'm very happy with it. It's my first DSLR, after previously using a Fuji HS20 Bridge Camera. There are 2 reasons I may change cameras, the first is higher usable ISO, but the more important would be a movable screen. At my age I'd prefer not to have to lay on the ground so the screen is my #1 wish. I might have to wait a couple of years though.

01-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #54

Hello

I'm very happy it's my first reflex just need to know how use it .

With my Kr i have a 18 200 Sigma lens but not good for my newby use ... i buy 70 200 Sigma f2.8 hsm and can make very good picture .... But my better lens for know how use my Kr is a Pentax SMC A 50 f1.7 lens for creativity use in few condition ... the best
02-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #55

I have the K-r almost from launch....and I guess I am one of the unhappy ones. I have for sure the dreaded Tungsten issue where mine front focuses under tungsten light. The only work around being to use contrast detect to do teh focusing instead of the phase contrast. My istDS was miles ahead in that regard....so I have no idea what went wrong there.
Also, the mode dial for me is turning to easily, so you have to keep your eye on it when you take it out of the bag.
The video on it is horrendous....and should not be there.
Focusing for me is sometimes quite inaccurate, even in daylight. More so than my DS again. the DS was miles slower, but I had the feeling when comparing the two that the DS locked on good after the hunt. K-r was less concerned about accuracy and more about speed...
Handling is great - like all Pentax cameras
Viewfinder is pretty decent when compared to its competition.
Battery life is very good
Would I buy this again? No. The tungsten focus issue burned me...so I prefer toupgrade to something without that problem. K-5 II and K-3 seems to be free from it....but the price class is also very much different.
F
02-24-2014, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having used one briefly before I bought the k5, I was please with its performance....
02-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I am rediscovering my K-r since I got the DFA 100mm macro! Now I appreciate the K-r's AF way more! The K-01's CD AF is no match when using a macro lens
03-01-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My anti-consumerist philosophy is all about using your tools till they die an honourable death.
This might not be good for the companies who would like us to buy into the latest fad, but it
renders service to certain bygone ideals.

I am no professional and my demands when it comes to camera gear are moderate in nature.
I have been tempted to upgrade from K-r to K30 or K5, but I am content with the performance
of my K-r and therefore I shall withstand the temptation.

So, how many among you intend to continue shooting with the K-r for many more years to come?
And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?

Dom
Hi Dom,
And sorry if this reply /quoting comes quite late, as I see the topic has 5 pages to date.

I am a happy owner of a K-r, since 2013, bought it second hand to a brit who had it with only 500 pictures done with it, and it was a bargain.
Before having my K-r I have had a K110D for two years, and it only gave me satisfactions, but I wanted something faster, and after reading quite a lot I decided the K-r should be the one I must go for.

I had been looking for the K30, and I must admit I liked it a lot, but once more, budget goes first and I had my K-r for around 330 euros, wich is a bargain if you think it is the full kit with it's box and it came with 2 batteries, the battery adapter, and some other stuff.

I have been wondering about the K30, K50, K500, and K5 as you say in your post. And so, we will see what would happend in the future, as I am visiting Japan in October.

The only one thing I miss from my K110D against the K-r is maybe the colours that I had with the K110D, I think they where brighter. A part from that, I loved the k110d, but using my camera for many kinds of photography but specially for sports, I think the K-r is a big improvement and I am happy with it.

Plus..... by what I read, the K50 and K500 as the K30, are no faster than the K-r, so to me, to upgrade to one of those would not make a big difference.
03-01-2014, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

I have both a Kr and a K5. My Kr is currently for sale but only because a new camera is on it's way. The K5 has a few more bells and a few more whistles than the Kr but between you and I (and the rest of the internets) when I grab a camera, I don't care all that much which one it is.

So yes, I'm still very happy with my Kr. The K5 is better in many ways but putting the upgrade money towards a better lens will pay off a lot more than a better body. (entry level body + pro lens = better than pro body with entry level lens)
03-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I have both a Kr and a K5. My Kr is currently for sale but only because a new camera is on it's way. The K5 has a few more bells and a few more whistles than the Kr but between you and I (and the rest of the internets) when I grab a camera, I don't care all that much which one it is.

So yes, I'm still very happy with my Kr. The K5 is better in many ways but putting the upgrade money towards a better lens will pay off a lot more than a better body. (entry level body + pro lens = better than pro body with entry level lens)

Just curiosity, do you know (I don't) how many frames per second the K5 shoots at?
I think your opinion is very valuable, as you can compare, and so that gaves the rest of us a feedback many of us don't have.

Me, myself, I have been in Rally Sweden this year and the past one, and shooting at Rally Cars in bad weather I could feel the camera going low on speed at some point. I guess with a K30 let's say, that has sealed body, that won't happend. It is annoying because it happened to me once every year in Rally Sweden; but then never again. I guess this 2014 it's been because of the rain that was falling over us; even I have tried to protect the camera, you can't hide the rain from it.