Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #61
Pentaxian

K5 does Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG)
Kr does Hi: 6 fps (25 JPG, 12 RAW),
K50 does Hi: 6 fps up to 30 JPG, 8 RAW

The K5 doesn't shoot all that much faster (1FPS) but it has a larger buffer (>2x as big when in RAW). It does make a difference.
But due to the nature of the spray&pray of high speed burst, I usually put the camera in JPG only and I can get 25 frames with the Kr. IMO this is where most Pentax fall short, focus tracking isn't their strong point.

I don't know what kind of temperature you're dealing with but my K5 (and my Kr) aren't too fond of anything lower then -20 celcius. Even at -10... after a few shots focus becomes slow and I think that the shutter slows down too because after a while all my shots end up being overexposed. Also I found that the batteries aren't very happy with the cold either, on the K5 on a full charge I can usually get close to 1000 shots on a full charge, but in the cold I'm lucky if I get half of that.

If your shooting often in bad weather, a WR body could be a wise investment but again my Kr has seen some nasty stuff and still soldiers on. You just have to be careful and take care of your gear a bit more. Large ziplock bags are your friend, they make decent weather shield to protect your camera in the snow/rain. Even if it's WR I cover my K5 when shooting bad weather, I just don't like seeing it dripping with water or covered in dust.

K5 is better (K30/K50/K500 will be very similar) than the Kr, there is no doubt about that. I bought mine (K5) before buying better lenses and if I were to do it again, I would get the lenses first.

03-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
K5 does Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG)
Kr does Hi: 6 fps (25 JPG, 12 RAW),
K50 does Hi: 6 fps up to 30 JPG, 8 RAW

The K5 doesn't shoot all that much faster (1FPS) but it has a larger buffer (>2x as big when in RAW). It does make a difference.
But due to the nature of the spray&pray of high speed burst, I usually put the camera in JPG only and I can get 25 frames with the Kr. IMO this is where most Pentax fall short, focus tracking isn't their strong point.

I don't know what kind of temperature you're dealing with but my K5 (and my Kr) aren't too fond of anything lower then -20 celcius. Even at -10... after a few shots focus becomes slow and I think that the shutter slows down too because after a while all my shots end up being overexposed. Also I found that the batteries aren't very happy with the cold either, on the K5 on a full charge I can usually get close to 1000 shots on a full charge, but in the cold I'm lucky if I get half of that.

If your shooting often in bad weather, a WR body could be a wise investment but again my Kr has seen some nasty stuff and still soldiers on. You just have to be careful and take care of your gear a bit more. Large ziplock bags are your friend, they make decent weather shield to protect your camera in the snow/rain. Even if it's WR I cover my K5 when shooting bad weather, I just don't like seeing it dripping with water or covered in dust.

K5 is better (K30/K50/K500 will be very similar) than the Kr, there is no doubt about that. I bought mine (K5) before buying better lenses and if I were to do it again, I would get the lenses first.
Thank you very much fgaudet this is a great reply.
I used to shoot at JPG but since some time ago I am shooting using RAW and it is like you say. I guess the buffer makes a big difference, as after shooting a few pictures you can feel the camera becoming slower; never thought about the buffer, but indeed sounds like this.

Temperatures weren't that bad, actually this year they have been around 0 or -2 celsius, maybe went down a bit to minus five, but this year the main problem has been the rain. Last year temperatures where about minus ten celsius in wich case it's not that bad either, but just for a few shoots you could feel the camera not working properly.

Agree as well with the battery issues with the bad weather. Luckily I have two of them and bring them full charged to those events, because they go like you say; not sure how many pictures I can take with one of them, but definitelly they don't last as they use to do it in a normal weather day.

No, I actually just shoot in bad weather once a year when going north to Rally Sweden, so it is not really necessary to me, but I guess sealed bodies are quite a wise idea.

It's never nice to see your camera covered of dust or water, you are right; this time that was raining a friend borrowed me so plastic cover so I could protect my K-r.

Again, thanks for your reply, I think it's just a great one.
03-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #63
Pentaxian

On a side note red5isalive for your rally pictures, try to find a Quantaray 28-90 f/3.5-5.6 (they're very cheap ~$50). It has to be the fastest focussing lens I ever tried. Every time I take it out, I am amazed by how fast it focusses. IQ and colors are not the greatest but I would prefer a washed out picture in focus to a immaculate one but out of focus... colors can be corrected, bad focus not so much. This is my go-to lens when I'm trying to photograph my dog playing outside
03-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

On a side note red5isalive for your rally pictures, try to find a Quantaray 28-90 f/3.5-5.6 (they're very cheap ~$50). It has to be the fastest focussing lens I ever tried. Every time I take it out, I am amazed by how fast it focusses. IQ and colors are not the greatest but I would prefer a washed out picture in focus to a immaculate one but out of focus... colors can be corrected, bad focus not so much. This is my go-to lens when I'm trying to photograph my dog playing outside
Thanks again for your help fgaudet :-) Will check for one unity of this lens.
Right now I am using the Pentax DA 55-300 mm ED for rally picturing as my primmary lens, but I use as well those other lenses for the same purpose:

Pentax DAL 16-45mm f:4.0
Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Lens

The fisheye gives you another kind of photography and it's always fun to play with, and the 16-45mm is my small tele lens. Sometimes I'm bringing with me a Cosina 24mm f2.8.

Some examples of the fisheye pictures you can do with that lens in a rally event

03-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #65
Site Supporter

I traded my K-100D for a Kr in November 2010 (previously had a K-1000), and use it mostly for outdoor photography. I carry it with one lens attached and 2 others in a waist pack - everything is light and accessible when hiking and reasonably protected from the weather. I have plastic bags in case of heavy rain, so no urgent desire for WR. It's been used successfully everywhere from Yukon, -20C temperatures here in Ontario, and in tropical humid forests . I still haven't explored its full capabilities.

Over the past year or two I have developed an interest in macro, making greater use of live view for focusing. When I do that the camera overheats after a few minutes on warm days and the battery quickly gets depleted. Also when doing macro work an articulated rear screen would be very useful.

Other than that, very happy with the camera. With unlimited cash a K5 and some better lenses would be nice but I'm not losing sleep over it.
03-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Could some of the K-r owners tell me what firmware version solve the AF tungsten ff issue, if some solve it ?

I already read a lot of foruns about that question but in none I found a definitive answer about the complete surpass of the AF tungsten ff problem.

I'm looking to buy a DSLR but I'm on a budget ...

Thanks for your patience.
03-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by art_oliver Quote
Could some of the K-r owners tell me what firmware version solve the AF tungsten ff issue, if some solve it ?
Proud owner of a Kr since v1 and I never experience the issue of FF in interior shots. My camera has more than 17,000 clicks with a lot taken inside, with tungsten lighting. I'm not sure if it was a very wide spread problem with the Kr. I remember reading about it in many forums before I bought the camera but I never had any problems with mine.

One problem that happened often (as per the salesman where I got my camera) was the thumb wheel having too much dielectric grease, making the scroll wheel not scrolling properly. A problem I had with mine. It was a quick fix (using degreaser and applying a non conductive lubricant) but a lot of Kr had that problem. If you're buying used, it will more than likely haven been fixed by the owner.

Another thing, although a minor one, is that my Kr has to be the worst at picking the right white balance when left in Auto... it's really bad. I don't care all that much about it since I shoot RAW but for jpeg shooters it can be a problem.

All an all, I love it. It's a great DSLR. Even if my K5 is a bit better at everything, I don't mind using the Kr at all. I actually prefer the Kr in some cases because it's much lighter.

Pentax's lower end series always provided a lot of bang for the bucks.
03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by art_oliver Quote
Hello,

I already read a lot of foruns about that question but in none I found a definitive answer about the complete surpass of the AF tungsten ff problem.

I'm looking to buy a DSLR but I'm on a budget ...

Thanks for your patience.
Not sure a firmware fix was ever released for the front focus tungsten issue. I never had the problem unless I used auto wb. As noted, the K-r has a weird sense of wb. The only lens that shows any issue under tungsten regardless of WB is my FA 31.

Had my e-dial replaced under warranty after my attempts to clean failed, just delayed the inevitable by six months.

03-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Another one than never got any tungsten FF issues. With 21K pictures taken.
03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Another one than never got any tungsten FF issues. With 21K pictures taken.

You won't unless you shoot in tungsten light!
I'm not sure why it's denied if Pentax Europe Support admit the problem then it's a fact
There was never a fix, there was no modification all K-r's have the problem

But it only shows at specific light sources ie t tungsten
03-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
You won't unless you shoot in tungsten light!
I'm not sure why it's denied if Pentax Europe Support admit the problem then it's a fact
There was never a fix, there was no modification all K-r's have the problem

But it only shows at specific light sources ie t tungsten
Errrrhh....
I mean I did, and had no problems.
03-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
all K-r's have the problem
I too, beg to differ. Most if not all my interior shots up to recently where lit using tungsten... I even have pictures OF tungsten light bulbs perfectly in focus
03-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #73

I too, beg to differ. Most if not all my interior shots up to recently where lit using tungsten... I even have pictures OF tungsten light bulbs perfectly in focus

It's unlikely Pentax support lied, but hey knock yourself out.
I remember the same think with the K-5 rampant denial of the problem, but when the K-5II came out the first thing they checked for was front focus in low kelvin light.
Only live view contrast AF is reliable enough to use in Tungsten lighting on the K-r, and most people agree it was a problem that Pentax ignored

The K-x didn't suffer from this problem
03-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #74
Veteran Member

From my experience, purely MY experience, the FF issue is an auto WB issue under tungsten. Manually set the WB and I can shoot all day, night, and afternoon under any lighting. The only lens that gives me grief is the FA31. That's why my go to tungsten lens for the K-r is my FA 43, I know it will focus bang on 100%.

I also never use LV for indoor shots.
03-12-2014, 03:57 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
From my experience, purely MY experience, the FF issue is an auto WB issue under tungsten. Manually set the WB and I can shoot all day, night, and afternoon under any lighting. The only lens that gives me grief is the FA31. That's why my go to tungsten lens for the K-r is my FA 43, I know it will focus bang on 100%.

I also never use LV for indoor shots.

That is my case too. I never use LV, in or outside, i don't like it.
I set up the light to tungsteen when I "work" with tungsteen lights. Maybe this is the reason why I never had problems. I like to set up my WB myself, I mean.... if sunny setting it to sunny, etc.... Yet I sometimes set it in Automatic, but just when I can't decide wich setup goes better. But never in insides, I have clear to set up light as tungsteen then.