Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your profile says you still have yours, but didn't you upgrade to the K-5 II or IIs recently?

08-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Ok, today I took some test shots at ISO 6400 (with kit lens and with my SMC-A 70-210). They look better than my K20D at ISO 800. Is that normal? Those shots were perfectly useable, especially the manual tele zoom!!!
08-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Yeah, there is a big difference in ISO performance in every sensor generation. The K-r is pretty good, especially if you shoot raw. Then you can use things like Lightroom and Topaz to make those K-r photos look perfectly professional. I've seen some K-r photos that are next to indistinguishable from ones taken with much more expensive cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Your profile says you still have yours, but didn't you upgrade to the K-5 II or IIs recently?
Nope, K-r and K-01 right now. Looks like it will stay this way for a while. Though, I like to try out any camera that I can get my hands on for free
08-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, there is a big difference in ISO performance in every sensor generation. The K-r is pretty good, especially if you shoot raw. Then you can use things like Lightroom and Topaz to make those K-r photos look perfectly professional. I've seen some K-r photos that are next to indistinguishable from ones taken with much more expensive cameras.
Awww I have no excuse now

Actually for base ISO, or 500 and under, I think I still prefer the K20D, at least for now. We'll see as time goes by. I just love how the K20D renders skin colors and colors in general.

One thing I did notice though, is that it seems like the kit lens seems to like the K-r better than the K20D. The pictures taken with it just look nicer. The K20D on the other hand goes very well with my primes... the DA 35 2.4 in particular looks fantastic with that sensor.

QuoteQuote:
Nope, K-r and K-01 right now. Looks like it will stay this way for a while. Though, I like to try out any camera that I can get my hands on for free
Same here!

So do you think the K-01 sensor is a big step ahead of the K-r's, or is it just a little better?

08-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #95
Pentaxian

I really like my bumblebee K-01 and use it a lot, because it slows me down and I don't end up coming home with way too many photos lol It has great image quality, because it has a very weak AA filter (or none at all? This was basically the experiment that led up to K-5IIs), so the photos are very sharp and full of detail. But the K-01 is no DSLR. The K-r fills my DSLR needs quite nicely. At base ISO, the K-r is not far behind the K-01, but at high ISO the sharp 16MP sensor is pretty great. And since it is 16MP, you can resize it down, which further eliminates noise and makes the photo appear sharper (resizing down usually makes photos look better). So if I really want the sharpest photos and have enough time, I use the K-01. The K-r is for events, sports, hot sunny days (live view and hot days is not a good combination), fast AF, etc.
Oh, one reason why I don't use my K-r lately is that I need to get its sensor cleaned :X I am quite lazy in that regard, but my cameras now have too many dust spots..
Btw, nice photos on your Flickr, C. R.!
Here is another gallery of someone really getting the most out of the K-r: pkarwski / 500px

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-22-2014 at 12:35 PM.
08-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Your 500px page is awesome, Na Horuk! I've seen it before and I love how you "see" the light falling on your subjects. That's what I'm learning to do...

But yeah this other guy is pretty good as well.

Interesting that at base ISO they're not that different. I think I see a difference in quality in my K20D compared to the K-r at base ISO. But that might be because I'm so used to it.

And I'm finding that the viewfinder in the K-r is not that bad. I'm not having problems focusing manual lenses.
08-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #97
Pentaxian

A lot of people say that the older generations of cameras have a better way of rendering colours than the newer ones, you're not alone. I don't think there is a difference in colours between the K-r sensor and K-01 sensor, merely resolution and noise performance at high ISO
And thanks for the comment about my photos! I rarely get feedback
08-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #98
Pentaxian

I don't know if it's because it's an older generation sensor in the K20D. It's CMOS. A while back when I wanted a DSLR with video capabilities (which made me end up getting the K-r...) I also considered the Samsung NX series - specifically the NX2000 because it's a whole lot of bang for the buck. I've also looked at the NX200 (someone had one for sale in the Marketplace) and the NX300.
I see a similar "color quality" to the pictures that I see with my K20D. So I think it's just the Samsung sensor that they used to use. It's not great at high ISOs but it's got some good stuff going on at lower ISOs. Which is something you could also say about Canon, I guess - though Canon's "magic" is of a different kind, it's how natural the colors look without looking saturated.

Yeah I overthink lots of stuff

08-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My anti-consumerist philosophy is all about using your tools till they die an honourable death.
This might not be good for the companies who would like us to buy into the latest fad, but it
renders service to certain bygone ideals.

I am no professional and my demands when it comes to camera gear are moderate in nature.
I have been tempted to upgrade from K-r to K30 or K5, but I am content with the performance
of my K-r and therefore I shall withstand the temptation.

So, how many among you intend to continue shooting with the K-r for many more years to come?
And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?

Dom
I'll keep mine till it dies. I can't see that my pictures would be any different with a more expensive body and the k-r does everything I could ever want, I think.