Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
Unregistered User

And I would just like to add how much I love the shutter sound of the K-r. This mechanical sound during an era of annoying
beeps of electronic gadgets brings back the memories of a bygone golden age when men were men and machines were
machines. Call me a reactionary bastard, but I really think that certain traditions are worth preserving, and for this we have
the backward compatibility of the K-mount.

Dom

12-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #32

I have had my KR for 2 years and I still love it. The build quality is great and I really appreciate the small size.

I occasionally dream about a better camera like the K5ii/K30 and even cameras on other systems but I don't need a better body.
12-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will be a long time before I learn all there is to learn about my K-r... I'm very happy with it.
12-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first DSLR was the K2000 (Km) and I skipped the Kx then got a Kr. I think I will continue to skip one update before I replace my body. So I will wait for the update after the K30. As for the Kr I couldn't be happier with it. It has never failed me. I upgraded from the K2000 because I was not satisfied with the focus accuracy and recently found debug mode and adjusted the K2000 so I am happy with both now. I would really like some more glass first.

Hans

12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
And I would just like to add how much I love the shutter sound of the K-r. This mechanical sound during an era of annoying
beeps of electronic gadgets brings back the memories of a bygone golden age when men were men and machines were
machines.
The Pentax lineup is filled with beautiful sounds. The sound of a mechanical shutter is one of the best features of the camera.

The sound of a Canon (primarily rebels) sounds like a FisherPrice camera I had when I was 4.
12-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?
Yes, for me it is K100d Super. Bought it as a refurbished unit from on-line dealer One Call in spring of 2009. I have about 20,000 clicks on it and it has served me well. I am seriously contemplating upgrading to the K-30, as it seems to tick even more of MY critical boxes than the K-5 classic. (I feel that I'm supposed to want the K-5, but, objectively, the K-30 would actually be the better choice for me.) I shoot some sports and fast motion, low light, so the upgrade would pick up the best AF and low-light ISO now. These are really the only areas where the K100d S does not meet my needs currently. Thanks. Glenn
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought my K-r sight unseen, online (since there are no local camera shops selling Pentax). I love everything about it, except for this one point: It is too small for my hands. I can't quite get my fingering to work with the K-r. My hands collide with each other while focusing with a manual lens. Nevertheless, I am not giving up on it, having learned creative ways to hold it steady.

I am wondering if the K-5 (which is the model I really wanted but at a prohibitive price) would be larger in that regard.

01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I have recently upgraded to K-30 from K-r but I have kept the K-r and it is unlikely I will sell it in the foreseeable future. I often use it as a second body to avoid changing lenses outdoors, but even if I didn't need it for that I would still keep it even if just because I really like it.

The K-r is my first DSLR, having last used a film SLR when auto focus was still something new.
01-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #39

My anti-consumerist philosophy is all about using your tools till they die an honourable death.
This might not be good for the companies who would like us to buy into the latest fad, but it
renders service to certain bygone ideals.

I am no professional and my demands when it comes to camera gear are moderate in nature.
I have been tempted to upgrade from K-r to K30 or K5, but I am content with the performance
of my K-r and therefore I shall withstand the temptation.

So, how many among you intend to continue shooting with the K-r for many more years to come?
And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?

Dom
I've had mine for a little over 2 years and am still happy with it. I'll use it until it dies or the price for 30+MP DSLR gets down around the MSRP for the K-r.

I was using a Ricoh KR-10 (purchased 1987) until I found an Olympus digital point&shoot could meet 80% of my needs. Then I knew it was time to finally upgrade to DSLR. I still have the Ricoh and my backup Pentax K1000.
01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I gotta say, I still love my K-r. It was my first (and only so far) DSLR back in April of 2011 and I've never done anything to it except mount lenses and charge batteries. Still running whatever firmware shipped on it etc... There are features and performance enhancements on the K-30 that I really think I would like. I've often stated that Pentax read my mind when they designed the K-30. But my love of my K-r keeps holding me back from upgrading. I'd hate to spend the money and then be disappointed.

That's the perspective of a complete newbie though. I can see how some things (like low light autofocus) might frustrate somebody that was used to a higher performance level in a previous body. That's exactly the kind of thing that holds me back from buying a K-30. It likely does many things better than my K-r but the threat of there being that one thing that it handles differently that winds up making me regret the purchase holds me back. If I were at all disappointed in my K-r, I would be a no-brainer.
01-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had my K-r for about 1.5 years or so (about 23k shots). I don't think I'd ever sell it, as it would make a great backup if I ever upgraded. Plus I've scratched the bottom, worn the buttons, and I've managed to dirty the focusing screen a bit :P (wooooops).

I'd only upgrade it if I got more jobs and needed something more "pro". I've shot a few gigs/events in low light situations where sketchy focus, and lack of better quality high-iso, meant I had to work much harder to get the pics than I would have done with a k-5 or similar canon/nikon.

I always remind myself that photographers with much worse equipment have gotten far better shots than I have in the past, so it isn't the equipment that's at fault - the question is always what resource do I want to use to make my pictures better; time or money?
01-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #42

Here's another happy K-r owner!
I have it almost year and a half, with just above 10k clicks and no problems at all.
Greetings,
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #43
Forum Member

I am now happy with my K-r. Since I did the firmware upgrade, now when I change to flash indoors from using no flash and available light, my auto ISO lowers from 3200. I actually took a photo indoors at some closed blinds from across the room (no direct sun) at AV set to f/2.2 and with flash it chose ISO100.
02-01-2013, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #44

Nope. I liked the body but could not put up with the AF/FF problems with it. In other ways mostly happy bar a few issues
The metering wasn't that good IMO esp low light multi segment was underexposed a lot, bit mixed in good light too. Little headroom in raw files highlight end. Colours were IMO a bit more neutral v the K-x. I personally think the lithium battery was underpowered and you were better off with the AA's and adaptor
Overall it has the potential to be a brilliant camera, but fell short of the mark. The AF was the deal breaker for me.
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm happy and unhappy with my K-r right now. I've been having focusing issues lately, but at other times the focus is spot on. I find myself wanting to upgrade to a K-30 or K-5 II/IIs, but don't have the means to drop that kind of money at the moment.