Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
I like to set up my WB myself
Same here. Since it is so shitty in auto, I always set my WB manually... Even if it is kind of useless when shooting RAW

04-07-2014, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #77

Just wanted to add my thoughts: I still have my K-r and I still love it. I'll have it for years to come, as photography is entirely a hobby for me, and I'd rather save my "extra" money and buy either lenses for it or on my other hobbies. I've never had any issues with it, and I haven't updated any firmware (I didn't know I needed to?). Anyway, I have no desire to upgrade (yet), nor can I afford to.
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #78

Still love my K-r.

Some shots I took with it have been used in huge (2 meter tall lightboxes and 1.5 meter tall prints on canvas mounted to a wall) enlargements at work--everyone loves the images.

I Thought there was an issue with the quality of images when I was reviewing them on the LCD, but this turned out to be middle-aged eyes. The Camera was and remains awesome.

When I bought it, I was looking for the combination of price and low-light performance. Since then, the Canons and Nikons have caught up and moved on in low light performance, but I find my K-r still performs as I had hoped.

I only wish I had a bigger budget for lenses.
05-06-2014, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My anti-consumerist philosophy is all about using your tools till they die an honourable death.
This might not be good for the companies who would like us to buy into the latest fad, but it
renders service to certain bygone ideals.

I am no professional and my demands when it comes to camera gear are moderate in nature.
I have been tempted to upgrade from K-r to K30 or K5, but I am content with the performance
of my K-r and therefore I shall withstand the temptation.

So, how many among you intend to continue shooting with the K-r for many more years to come?
And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?

Dom
Hi Dom,
I have my k-r now since 2 years and 4 months, I don't believe it is a long time even for an entry model, I was quite satisfied but this week end I had a big problem. The gear stopped to work.
It seems that the shutter is blocked. No matter which button I push the LCD scree blink and the same noise that the shuttering one, nothing else.
I didn't do anything strange, it could be a SW issue.
I called Pentax customer service, we reinitialised the camera but nothing changed.
It seems that the only solution is to send the camera at my charge to Ricoh for a technical analysis, minimum cost 50+ euro.
I really don't know what to do, freckly specking I was planning to upgrade to K5 or even K3 (the limited silver model looks grate) but now I have serious doubt about Pentax reliability.
Franco

05-14-2014, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #80
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by franco64 Quote
Hi Dom,
I have my k-r now since 2 years and 4 months, I don't believe it is a long time even for an entry model, I was quite satisfied but this week end I had a big problem. The gear stopped to work.
It seems that the shutter is blocked. No matter which button I push the LCD scree blink and the same noise that the shuttering one, nothing else.
I didn't do anything strange, it could be a SW issue.
I called Pentax customer service, we reinitialised the camera but nothing changed.
It seems that the only solution is to send the camera at my charge to Ricoh for a technical analysis, minimum cost 50+ euro.
I really don't know what to do, freckly specking I was planning to upgrade to K5 or even K3 (the limited silver model looks grate) but now I have serious doubt about Pentax reliability.
Franco
That's sad to hear. Either your shutter is stuck or it has breathed his last. As a former Nikon user, I would say that these things could happen to any brand - even their high end products. If you haven't invested much in Pentax lenses, you could as well take a chance on a different brand (I myself am somewhat intrigued by the EM10).
05-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #81
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Bad KR luck

I purchased a Kr 2 years ago, and wish I had bought an extended warranty. The camera worked great in the beginning, but I have had problems with it for the last 6 months. The pictures shoot normal, or shoot bright. I believe it is the sensor that is bad. It also will continually shoot even though it is not on that mode. I took it in to a camera dealer and they said it probably would cost more to repair it than what I paid for it. I still have my K100D and have been using that, but it's going on 7 years old. Still works fine. I'm upgrading to a K30. I just hope I don't have the same problems with it. I'm debating whether to purchase an extended warranty on that. I found one for 4 years for only $60. Sounds too good to be true.
05-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, unfortunately so many modern day products simply don't last as long, so extended warranty is a good idea

05-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #83
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jalemusk Quote
I purchased a Kr 2 years ago, and wish I had bought an extended warranty. The camera worked great in the beginning, but I have had problems with it for the last 6 months. The pictures shoot normal, or shoot bright. I believe it is the sensor that is bad. It also will continually shoot even though it is not on that mode. I took it in to a camera dealer and they said it probably would cost more to repair it than what I paid for it. I still have my K100D and have been using that, but it's going on 7 years old. Still works fine. I'm upgrading to a K30. I just hope I don't have the same problems with it. I'm debating whether to purchase an extended warranty on that. I found one for 4 years for only $60. Sounds too good to be true.
I bought my Kr with a foolproof warranty extension of 5 years for 50 EUR. So, I am safe till 2016. You should definitely get one if it costs no more than 60 USD.
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #84

I'm very happy with my K-r and have no plans to replace it in the near future. My view at the moment is that any spending money I get would be far better spent on lenses than on a better camera. Time spent learning to use what I currently have will pay later when I do get better equipment. If I were buying now I'd be after a K-30 or a K-50, but when I bought the K-r (at a reduction from normal selling price at the time) the camera was a good buy and I have no regrets.

Last edited by Fire Angel; 06-07-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spelling error
06-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
My anti-consumerist philosophy is all about using your tools till they die an honourable death.
This might not be good for the companies who would like us to buy into the latest fad, but it
renders service to certain bygone ideals.

I am no professional and my demands when it comes to camera gear are moderate in nature.
I have been tempted to upgrade from K-r to K30 or K5, but I am content with the performance
of my K-r and therefore I shall withstand the temptation.

So, how many among you intend to continue shooting with the K-r for many more years to come?
And are there those here who have much older DSLR models still in service?

Dom
Pentax K-30 have Focus Peaking, this is for me...
06-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I gave my wife a white K-r in Oct 2011 as an anniversary gift. Her first digital, she takes snapshots with a Tamron 18-200, and is happy with all she has done with it. Not really a hobby for her, nevertheless, I have a K-50 (also white) waiting for her when the time is right.
08-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #87

Well here are two reasons why I am still happy with the KR. The first of the two is from one of my first attempts at night photography, the second is a more recent effort. Both are 30 second exposures, stacked in Photoshop to increase the number of light trails in the image. When I first started doing this I often tried to get more light trails by increasing exposure times, but it gets difficult as any static lights in the scene are over-exposed and blown out. By taking several shots and stacking them in PhotoShop you can get a much better result. Using "lighten" as the blend mode really helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fire Angel; 08-10-2014 at 03:14 PM.
08-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #88
Pentaxian

I'm glad people are enjoying their K-r cameras.

This week I am set up to pick up a cheap yet well kept K-r body that I intend to have as my wife's camera, and the camera we take to family outings. I'll keep the K20D for my flower and macro pictures, as well as landscapes and travels.
08-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #89
Pentaxian

...and I did get the K-r! Just as this forums seems to be dying... lol
08-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Yeah, this forum isnt very active, but people still use their K-r and post in other threads