Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It was in my K-r.
As I said, I can't believe you left it in your car

12-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I couldn't take the K-r into the store - that would be like taking your old dog in to the pet shop to look at a new puppy. That's just cold! And swiping the battery clip would have been almost as bad.
01-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Maybe a bit late but I was having the same dilemma and eventually just bought a second battery from eBay. Reasoning was that it is cheaper and smaller so easier to fit in the camera bag. Still, if going out all day then I can imagine a better setup is to just use AA batteries as you could have a single charger to charge a whole bunch at once overnight to take with you the next day. I felt 2 standard batteries would work better for me though.
01-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

AA adapter

The generic AA adapter is so cheap, only $4, you should get one anyway, just in case.
AA Batteries Holder Adapter Bracket for Pentax K R KR Camera Easy Using with AA | eBay

Better still -
Get two and use one to make an A/C power supply. Very easy mod. I did it, and it works well.

01-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Get two and use one to make an A/C power supply. Very easy mod. I did it, and it works well.
I've got two, both loaded with eneloop batteries. With the second AA adapter pre-loaded, battery swaps are just as fast as with LiON batteries. Love it.

After recently making a time lapse video, I want to do more and realize having an AC supply would be useful. I have a 3rd adapter on order (yes, for $4), and electrically know how to make an AC adapter for FAR less than Pentax charges. However, there are lots of options for the mechanical design. Would you be willing to post a photo or two of your creation?
01-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I've got two, both loaded with eneloop batteries. With the second AA adapter pre-loaded, battery swaps are just as fast as with LiON batteries. Love it.

After recently making a time lapse video, I want to do more and realize having an AC supply would be useful. I have a 3rd adapter on order (yes, for $4), and electrically know how to make an AC adapter for FAR less than Pentax charges. However, there are lots of options for the mechanical design. Would you be willing to post a photo or two of your creation?
I can try. I have not been able to post any photos here for some time now. I will see if it works tomorrow.
01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by iceshiel Quote
I would be travelling soon and I wish to purchase additional AA batteries as a back up for my lithium ion battery.

Would I be better off purchasing a second lithium ion battery?

If not, do AA batteries provide more battery life? Which brand would you recommend?

Thank you.
I have the adapter and use rechargable AA's as backup. I've also used alkaline AA's in an "emergency" (after running down the other batteries). I think they were alkalines -- whatever I could get at the tobacco shop in the town outside Paris.

Having the flexibility to fall back on whatever battery I could buy "on the street" is a huge advantage!

02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #23

KOne of the main reasons I originally bought a Pentax over Canon or Nikon as the IST used aa battiries and not rechargable. The sales person didn't know very much as both Canon & Nikon had battery adapters at the time and he failed to mention this. No wonder that chain has dissapeared in my part of the country; they had counter help not photgraphy people.. At crime scenes having a dead battery is not an option I wanted to explain in court. It was a decision in my K-200 and the KR. I may get a second battery holder. I use lithium batteries and have really good results, would say 3 to 4 times the copper tops. I also travel and have used local aa batteries and had real poor service from them. I will use the rechargable ION for normal use but will always want a consumer back-up in my bag.
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #24

I got myself some Eneloops with a charger:

eneloop NEW 2000mAh Typical, 1900mAh Minimum, 1500 cycle, 4 Pack AA, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries with 4 Position Charger

and some these as well:

2 Pack of High Capacity Pentax D-LI109 1050mAh (2100mAh Total)Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery for Pentax K-R Digital SLR Cameras With Rapid Travel Charger

The D-LI109 shipment arrived today, but wasn't at home, so should get it tomorrow!

I think my batteries will outlast my memory card (need to get some more)!

B
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #25

Original Poster
Just to update:

I got myself the adapter and a set of AA eneloops. I have yet to find myself in a situation where my lithium ion runs out and I need to switch to my AA batteries yet but I expect that it would happen when I go on my next road trip.

I am using a third party adapter and it works splendidly. The AA batteries make my KR noticeably heavier but it's fine by me. I havent taken them out for a proper day of shooting but seem to last longer than my lithium ion battery.
03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #26

I have KR- Adapter for AA battery is best thing I've ever seen. I use ENELOOP 2500mAh (extreme) - about $20 without charger - If I am not mistaken any dslr with grip cannot shot so many photos like KR (im caunted about 1000+ without flash) - i dont know exactly because im shoot about 600 photos and battery is steel on green. :-) I need some travel to take more photos to know exactly - I was on my last trip to Venice, and i wait next. :-)
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #27

Batteries are very convenient to have, good back up. I picked up the bat. adapter on eBay, new for a little over 15 bucks, under 20.
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a heads up, be reaaaal careful about cheap-o rechargeables.

03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
As a heads up, be reaaaal careful about cheap-o rechargeables.

Size is not that fiddling in most electronics - they do have a spring to compress the battery against both contacts. What is more worrisome for cheap batteries is their increased potential to burst, corrode, or just plain poop out on you (beyong the mAh rating being "optomistic").
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #30

I shoot exclusively with eneloops on my k-r. I shoot minimum of about 4000 shots a weekend for the events I do for winterguard and marching band competitions. The regular batteries with the camera I would have to change every couple of hundred shots. With eneloops I can go 800 to a 1000 or more on one set. I have multiple battery pack adapters so I just have them pre loaded and take one out and put the other in. I would like to step up to a K-5 but it does not have the capability to use AA's except if you get the battery grip as the grip can take AA's.