Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera body & Lens Weight

Fed up with my unreliable Tamron 10-24, I am thinking of giving the Sigma 10-20 f/4 a shot.
The only thing that worries me is the weight of the Sigma. Whereas the Tamron weighs 406
grams, the Sigma weighs 465. The K-r is a very lightweight camera, weighing no more than
598 grams with battery. Will it be able to tolerate the weight of the heavy Sigma? I am afraid
that the mount could break.

Dom

01-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Will it be able to tolerate the weight of the heavy Sigma? I am afraid that the mount could break.
Pentax DA*16-50 weighs 565g, DA*300mm weighs 1070g, I really doubt Pentax would design a mount that would not support their own lenses.

465g for a lens is really not that heavy. Heavier lenses do change the balance and that might be a concern if you are used to light ones but there is no concern about the mount.

I was considering getting the Tamron 10-24, what do you find unreliable about it? Not going to get it if I cannot rely on it.
01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would say that you do not have to worry about breaking the mount. The mount should be the same on all the DSLR's (K5, Kr, K7, K30...)

59 grams really is not that much of a difference, especially when supported by your hand. People hook up much heavier lenses and carry them around all the time, so it should not be a problem.
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fed up with my unreliable Tamron 10-24, I am thinking of giving the Sigma 10-20 f/4 a shot.
The only thing that worries me is the weight of the Sigma. Whereas the Tamron weighs 406
grams, the Sigma weighs 465. The K-r is a very lightweight camera, weighing no more than
598 grams with battery. Will it be able to tolerate the weight of the heavy Sigma? I am afraid

Dom
Yup, I'd also say you have nothing to worry about.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

I was considering getting the Tamron 10-24, what do you find unreliable about it? Not going to get it if I cannot rely on it.
1) Camera does not always recognise the lens.
2) Aperture occasionally gets stuck.
3) Autofocus spins* and does not lock in on focal lengths beyond 10mm.
4) My point and shoots deliver sharper images; even when you resort to f/8-13, the improvement
to the image quality is negilible.

I was tempted because of the versatility of the focal length, but I should have known better.

--

* It does not hunt. The spinning is totally aimless as far as I can judge.

Last edited by DominicVII; 01-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Pentax DA 12-24....?
01-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a non-issue. I recently used my K-x with the 550 grams heavy Rokinon 14mm (and the kit lens) to shoot about 1000 photos in Spain. The Rokinon 14mm was attached to the camera most of the time--for about 8 hours/ day. I've used my K-x with many other heavy lenses, e.g., a Vivitar 70-210mm/3.5 and an Auto-Sears 200mm/3.5 (m42 lens), each of which must weigh at least 800 grams. I've never felt the mount wasn't solid enough.
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Pentax DA 12-24....?
Too expensive.

01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps you may have a defective copy, or that the contacts are dirty. Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera body first, and try again.
This is quite a highly acclaimed lens: Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Perhaps you may have a defective copy, or that the contacts are dirty. Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera body first, and try again.
This is quite a highly acclaimed lens: Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
The reviews here were the reason why I purchased this lens. The reviews in Germany, by the way, were
nowhere as favourable. I have given this lens many chances, but the optical quality leaves much to be
desired. Also the build quality cannot be compared to that of the Tamron 90mm macro. The latter is
made in Japan, whereas the wide angle is made in China. No disrespect to the Chinese, they make
some splendid products, but the initial phases of outsourcing tend to bring some problems pertaining
to quality control to the fore, which are dealt with subsequently (one may hope). Maybe I got a bad
copy, but a comparison of these lenses' respective pools on Flickr, leaves one with the impression
that the Sigma is significantly sharper.
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #11

DA 12-24 is cheaper than the sigma!
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here the lowest price for the 12-24 is 738 EUR and 399 for the Sigma.
01-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Dom
I've had a Tamron 10-24 for about a year and it has always worked reliably and I've never regretted buying it. The exact model name is Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF).

Is that the same as the one you have? If so then the only explanation is that you have a faulty item and should get it replaced or repaired as mine does not behave in any way even remotely resembling what you describe.

The only issue of sorts is that at 10mm the autofocus often does not give me a lock at infinity. The lens focus just goes to the end stop (and seems to strain against it for a moment) but I never get the focus confirm beep. However, despite that I still get a perfectly focused picture.

It does also have a slight focus shift when changing focal length (needs different AF correction at different focal lengths) and to a lesser extent aperture but it is rarely enough to be an issue. I use it both with the K-r and the K-30. For some reason this effect is less pronounced on the K-30.

Here are two photos with the Tamron at 10mm on the K-r:

Last edited by lister6520; 01-08-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added a couple of photos
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I've had a Tamron 10-24 for about a year and it has always worked reliably and I've never regretted buying it. The exact model name is Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF).

Is that the same as the one you have? If so then the only explanation is that you have a faulty item and should get it replaced or repaired as mine does not behave in any way even remotely resembling what you describe.

The only issue of sorts is that at 10mm the autofocus often does not give me a lock at infinity. The lens focus just goes to the end stop (and seems to strain against it for a moment) but I never get the focus confirm beep. However, despite that I still get a perfectly focused picture.

It does also have a slight focus shift when changing focal length (needs different AF correction at different focal lengths) and to a lesser extent aperture but it is rarely enough to be an issue. I use it both with the K-r and the K-30. For some reason this effect is less pronounced on the K-30.

Here are two photos with the Tamron at 10mm on the K-r:

Ja, this is the lens. I have returned it and ordered the Sigma.

Dom