Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r destroyed, what body to get next?

Hi again folks, I'm back with some not very good news, basically me and my girlfriend got hit by a car on New Year's eve (actually right at midnight), luckily we both survived, some scars, bruises and a broken leg, but nothing really major. Unfortunately, her K-r and M28/2.8 are now kaput - she had the camera at her neck, while mine was in my backpack, so mine is fine.
Assuming we can recover some money from the driver's insurance company (not an easy task, from what I gather), here comes the question: should she buy a second hand K-r, which should come real cheap, or go for a K-30? This second possibility sounds far more appealing to her too, although at the moment, the ones available locally sell for very much ($930, body only). It would only make sense to import one, then (a lot of fuss, I don't even know if it's cheaper at B&H + shipping to Europe and taxes, or at Amazon UK, with shipping inside EU). On the other hand, there's also the fact that she loses her focusing screen (Nikon K-3 from focusingscreen.com), because the K-30 takes K-5 sized screens.
So any help or advice regarding either insurance policies or Pentax dealers would be appreciated

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 01-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, I dunno, man, that K-30 looks like it's really something. What's the price *difference* with another K-r? What I'm thinking is that if you can lay hands to a K-30, that is very likely to be all the camera you need for the forseeable future. If they are too much right now, you might see what you can find in the marketplace here that someone's willing to ship. It looks like you can get K-7s and K-5s and K20ds very reasonably.

(Also, where are my manners. I'm glad you're both OK. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-14-2013 at 03:57 PM.
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are fine second hands K5 too, as some of us (including me) have changed it for the K5IIs. Around 400 to 450 euros body only in good condition. As you are in EU, you can purchase second hand from everywhere in europe.
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K30s have been very cheap in the UK; try SRS Microsystems. They have an ebay store if that makes it easier. Sorry to hear about your accident!

01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry about your accident and injuries, glad you both survived. I'd take the advice and look at used
K-5 bodies as there are quite a few available now. Here in the US there is still one source for new K-r's - but you have to like color. WalMart for $599 with lens.

Your Choice: Pentax K-r 12.4MP DSLR Camera Bundle w/ 18-55mm Lens, 3" LCD, and HD Video Value Bundle: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
What's the price *difference* with another K-r?
I don't know, but that's a good question. If you ask me, given that the K-r was still under warranty, we should receive full money for a new one, and if that is impossible to find, then for its replacement, the K-30. However, we haven't contacted anyone yet, so I can just speculate. Before calling anybody and asking blindly for damages, I'd like to know what are my best options.
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
There are fine second hands K5 too, as some of us (including me) have changed it for the K5IIs. Around 400 to 450 euros body only in good condition. As you are in EU, you can purchase second hand from everywhere in europe.
400 euros for a K-5? That sounds like a deal

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry about your accident and injuries, glad you both survived. I'd take the advice and look at used
K-5 bodies as there are quite a few available now. Here in the US there is still one source for new K-r's - but you have to like color. WalMart for $599 with lens.
That's cool, and she's quite pretty open to "gay" colours, as my K-x is red Although, for some reason, she showed no interest in the K-01...
But $600, seriously?

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
K30s have been very cheap in the UK; try SRS Microsystems. They have an ebay store if that makes it easier. Sorry to hear about your accident!
Aha, I see they come a little cheaper than Amazon, that's good to know. Also, some interesting colours

01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear that you both survived the accident relatively unharmed (the broken leg can't be fun, though).

If the insurance payout covers true replacement, then you should get the K-30, as it's the successor to the K-r. Some people might quibble about that, but the K30 is the current Pentax entry-level DSLR, even if it is somewhat above other manufacturers' entry models in specification.

I've handled a friend's K-30, and I have to say I'm impressed with the ergonomics and the AF speed, to start with. I'd go for the K-30, in spite of the good reputation the K-r has. Best price here in Oz is about $680US, body only.
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
400 euros for a K-5? That sounds like a deal

That's cool, and she's quite pretty open to "gay" colours, as my K-x is red Although, for some reason, she showed no interest in the K-01...
But $600, seriously?

Aha, I see they come a little cheaper than Amazon, that's good to know. Also, some interesting colours
Yes, they are the only ones I know of that have new K-r's available, but they are pricey. If it were me I'd argue that the K-r was still under warranty, is functionally new, should be replaced with an equivalent new camera, and the K-30 is Pentax's replacement for the K-r model.
01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would skip the kr and get a k30 or a second hand k5.
good luck.
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know, but that's a good question. If you ask me, given that the K-r was still under warranty, we should receive full money for a new one, and if that is impossible to find, then for its replacement, the K-30. However, we haven't contacted anyone yet, so I can just speculate. Before calling anybody and asking blindly for damages, I'd like to know what are my best options.
I think others here are more aware of the market, but I do suggest either going used for the time being or going right to a K-30. I think if you were happy with the K-r, you will be *ecstatic* about the K-30.

Others are also correct, though, when they say you ought to be happy if they will sell you a proven K-5 for less than that, though. If it were me, I would tend to favor the K-5 even if there are ways the K-30 is a little ahead in some features. (I'm a pretty serious photo person who considers either model to suffice for my needs. ,) but I think they're all in all on a similar performance level: if money weren't an object I would prefer the better low light focusing the updated K5's give, but since it is, well, they'd be about the same to me.

If that's helpful. But I think either option will make you happy.
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seriously, get a K-01. It has much better autofocus (more accurate but slower), it's small and just absolutely the best camera I've ever had the pleasure to use. It feels like an old Spotmatic or K1000 in the hand, and before you bash the lack of a viewfinder... it's actually really great to have a screen. It opens up new ways to take a photo, and it's a LOT less intimidating for your subject. It's much easier to take candid photos, especially when street shooting. I haven't touched my K-x since buying the K-01, and I really do think your girlfriend will appreciate the K-01 greatly. It's also amazingly cheap right now. You can get it for $316 body only, or with a 40mm f2.8 XS pancake for $100 more.

SERIOUSLY. Consider it. The ONLY other camera I would consider would be the K-30.... but the K-01 is SUCH a great deal right now, you really should get one. The IQ is just out of this world.

Charles.
01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ouch, sorry for your harrowing experience!
I was looking at used K-rs some time ago, but they seemed so expensive.. you can get a K-01 with the 40mm XS for the same amount. Or a used K-5. If I were you I would try importing from within the EU. The area around France (and Netherlands, Germany) tends to have good prices. Maybe from the UK if the pound is weak vs. the euro. I would avoid importing from the USA simply because shipping is really slow, is expensive, and you will have to pay import taxes. All of these things combined are an important factor to consider. Even though the USA tends to have best prices and great service.
Edit: Scratch that, if I were you I would give my K-r to the girlfriend and buy a K-5 for myself
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would consider the K-01, but it's not my camera, it's my girlfriend's
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Edit: Scratch that, if I were you I would give my K-r to the girlfriend and buy a K-5 for myself
Also, make that "my K-x"
We actually were thinking about buying a K-01, just a little over a month ago. A friend of ours was in a trip in the US, and he asked us if we wanted anything from there. She was happy at that time with her K-r, although the K-01 tempted her a little at just $400 with the 40mm. Unfortunately, it's much more expensive anywhere else in the world, so that's kind of a deal breaker.
Also, we haven't yet spoken to a lawyer about the damages, so any plans are just "wishes" by now.
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it's much more expensive anywhere else in the world, so that's kind of a deal breaker.
I got a K-01 with 40mm XS for 399 euro in France last year. Maybe you can find a deal. I saw a bunch of your wonderful photos taken with manual lenses, and a camera with peaking might be attractive. Hope you get everything sorted out, either way you choose