Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the dreaded mirror flop?

I bought my k-r used with about 2000 shutter clicks, and have put on about 3000 since then. I've never had this behavior with any of my K mount lenses mind you, so I'm hopeful that it's not the camera. It would be pretty devastating if it is.

So the problem lies with the takumar 55mm 1.8 manual lens I bought. After taking a few photos with it I'll hear a shutter click, and then from there on anytime I press any button on the K-R, it sounds like the shutter is firing leaving me unable to take any photos at that point. I want to rule it out as a bad lens, but I have also noticed something that might point towards it being a problem with the camera. After I take the manual lens off, and attach my regular K mount lens, it will make the shutter firing noise only once immediately after I turn the camera on, and then I won't hear it again.

From what I've read there can be a ton of different causes. I've updated the firmware to the latest version, and I've made sure the contacts between lenses are squeaky clean. What I haven't been able to do is try a different m42 adapter, or try using the AA batteries. Those aren't really an option right now, and I shouldn't have to be buying those things for my camera to work correctly :/.

The whole thing is really scary. Even though my regular lenses work fine, the fact that this problem could soon spread to every lens is something I can't stop thinking about

Last edited by csmoore; 01-28-2013 at 08:26 PM.
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I could be wrong, but I think that you are OK. As I recall, some manual lenses cause most any button to do the stop-down metering. That is what you are hearing - the mirror moves but the shutter doesn't actually release. It has been a while since I used my K-r, so I can't recall everything exactly.
01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I so hope you are right, lol. Still a little disappointing that someone would sell me the lens on here with that issue but at least it would only be a $30 loss as opposed to sending in the body for repair.
01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Does the k-r use AA's or a rechargeable battery? I had it once with my k-5, but that problem was specific to one of the batteries (this article did a great job of explaining it)

01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
Does the k-r use AA's or a rechargeable battery? I had it once with my k-5, but that problem was specific to one of the batteries (this article did a great job of explaining it)
I use rechargeable batteries, but I do have the AA"s on my list of things to try if the problem persists too badly.
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by csmoore Quote
I so hope you are right, lol. Still a little disappointing that someone would sell me the lens on here with that issue but at least it would only be a $30 loss as opposed to sending in the body for repair.
It can't be the lens. A screwmount lens has no electrical or mechanical coupling to the camera body.
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by csmoore Quote

So the problem lies with the takumar 55mm 1.8 manual lens I bought. After taking a few photos with it I'll hear a shutter click, and then from there on anytime I press any button on the K-R, it sounds like the shutter is firing. I want to rule it out as a bad lens, but I have also noticed something that might point towards it being a problem with the camera. After I take the manual lens off, and attach my regular K mount lens, it will make the shutter firing noise only once immediately after I turn the camera on, and then I won't hear it again.
The noise you hear on power-on is probably the dust removal system which shakes the sensor on power-on (can be disabled in a custom function if it bothers you).

The sound you otherewise hear could be the shake reduction system or it could be the aperture stop down lever (which isn't connected to your Takumar but moves regardless). Either sound is normal.

01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm certain the noise I heard wasn't the sensor cleaner doing it's thing on start up, it was definitely the shutter noise because the sensor cleaning noise came
on right after.

Last edited by csmoore; 01-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
01-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #9

You could try to clean the area of lens mount where it mates with the contact pins of the body mount. Otherwise stuff a piece of aluminum foil in between. The mirror flops because the pins are not fully shorted by the lens mount. Using AA batteries normally solve the problem though.
01-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I seem to remember something about some old lenses that if you paint (isolate) the area on the lens where the contacts on the mount are it might help, try some tape first. Also I read that if the aperture lever on a old K mount lens is bent in towards center it can cause this but yours is a M42.

Hans
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Since somebody asked: I just received my K-R back from CIRS in AZ. It had this 'spastic mirror' problem. I noted that it happened only with automatic lenses installed. With manual or no lens installed there was no problem. I tried cleaning contacts and everything else. CRIS said it was a bad aperature control card, which I believe based on the symptoms. And this happened one month after the warranty expired. Service was decent enough. Hopefully it will not occur again!

Nice Forum, by the way: Helped me reclaim my old trusty *1st DL when the e-wheel got flaky. The contact cleaner worked wonders.
02-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
how much did it cost for you to send it in to have it repaired? I bought mine used so I have no chance for a warranty : /. It's weird that you had the same problem under the opposite circumstances.
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #13

Cost of repair

It ran $160 + $15 shipping. Seems like a lot but then I just spent $90 on an igniter for my gas stove and had to install it myself.
Most of the cost of the Pentax repair was labor. They did reload firmware with latest version, cleaned and adjusted it, and ran
it through their testing. So if the fix 'sticks' it was worth it. If, a year from now it happens again, I'll be annoyed. My hope is that
it was either a production or design problem and that the new aperature control card doesn't have. So I have my fingers crossed
for now. Good luck with yours. FYI: I got quotes of about $200 from indy shops. So I went with CIRS since they should be the
experts on this. It seems to be OK for now.
02-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
Still haven't come up with a solution..ordered an AA adapter from china so when it comes sometimes next year I'll be able to see if that helps. If the problem spreads to my other lenses I'm going to cry.
03-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
So I'd like to update this thread, and let you all know how stupid I feel. Today my smc takumar 28mm 3.5 I ordered came along with the AA adapter. After trying the lens it had the exact same problem. Okay, so I thought don't get upset, let's just try the battery holder. Well all of the batteries I have are apparently too weak and whenever I turn on the camera with the adapter a "battery depleted" message greets me. The thought of having to spend another $20 for eneloop batteries/recharger just to see if that would fix the problem was about to make me very frustrated and I was getting pretty upset.

I decided to try out the lenses again and I realized that the m42 adapter becomes a little loose and all I had to do was tighten it a bit more securely and...around 30 snapshots with both lenses..no problem. I'm an idiot.

edit: Nope, false alarm, still does it... It's worth mentioning that when I choose the sensor cleaning button and it raises the mirror, after I restart the camera the problem goes away for a little bit. Anyway, does anyone know some cheap disposable batteries that would work with the chinese AA adapter for the k-r?

Last edited by csmoore; 03-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.