Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

K-r firmware update 1.13

Just saw that there is a firmware update to version 1.13
Changes to V1.13

• Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.
  • Improved stability for general performance.

Here is the download page: Latest K-r Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Did anyone flashed this on his k-r and what improvements are applied if any.
Tnx,

Last edited by alexmkd; 01-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
01-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonder if they're ever going to update firmware so you can control ISO/Shutter Speed in video mode ...
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I have just updated and tried it with my da 35 macro, and I think it finds focus better. That lens always hunted forever. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I swear that thing locks on now much snappier.
01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
I have just updated and tried it with my da 35 macro, and I think it finds focus better. That lens always hunted forever. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I swear that thing locks on now much snappier.
In live view? Or even with PD AF?

01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by alexmkd Quote
Just saw that there is a firmware update to version 1.13
Changes to V1.13

• Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.
  • Improved stability for general performance.

Here is the download page: Latest K-r Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Did anyone flashed this on his k-r and what improvements are applied if any.
Tnx,
Is the improvement only when using the HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW lens. If that is the case that won't help me.
01-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Errmmm... To be honest?

I do not own many AF lenses except for 2: the kit lens and the fa24/2.

After the upgrade on my Kr, BAM! It auto-focuses noticeably faster and with more certainty; not much of it making minor adjustments before confirming that the subject is in focus.

On top of that, it seems to be slightly more accurate now. I think the updated firmware jolts the AF brain of the Kr from slumber.. LOL!
01-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Just did the update on my camera; definitely an AF speed improvement even with the Tamron 90mm I have on the camera at the moment. Very zippy. Can't say much for accuracy yet.

02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

1.13 K-r

I updated to 1.13 on my K-r last night and found better results but still some front focus issues on my tamron 70-200 2.8, I then did focus adjustment to -10 and increased sharpness to the max and the shots were much much better. I tested last night shooting a practice in a gym. The lighting in this gym was a little better then others I shoot in so I don't know if that was a factor. I will be in a horrible gym for pictures next week so we will see.
02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

The first thing I did was test with my 35 and it still hunts badly. Though I haven't given it a full test yet
02-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No noticeable difference for me on my first day out with the new firmware, I am still happy with my Kr. Focus peaking would have been nice for manual lenses but the focus conformation LED's work.

Hans
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Hi Folks, I am using two lenses with my camera the 18 -55 and the 50 - 200 mm that came as part of the kit when I purchased my K-r, do you feel this firmware update is worth doing or not? I have had a look at the how to information and it seems a lot of work is involved to perform this update, certainly for an inexperienced K-r user and not one who has been using a computer for long either. Helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :-)
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Picbrian Quote
Hi Folks, I am using two lenses with my camera the 18 -55 and the 50 - 200 mm that came as part of the kit when I purchased my K-r, do you feel this firmware update is worth doing or not?
Depends how happy you are with the camera. The firmware update also lets you use the new versions of SD (XC and HC) cards, so you might want to get it. Its not that difficult, basically you just put the file on the card, make sure the battery is fully charged, then put the card in the camera and press that button combination (its in the instructions) and then wait for it to finish. Its important not to panic and stop the update. It can take a long while, just be patient.
02-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
i recommend updating to the newer firmware... as previously mentioned by many pentax users, updates come with fixes that they don't mention
Anyway, the camera works as it should, it's not non-functional... this is a official update.
02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #14

Not sure if it is me or my ability to get a computer to do what it's susposed to do. I copied to my computer then to an SD card, checked it is there, and when I follow the directions it doesn't work.
I put the sd card in camera, turn it on while holding the menu button down, It displasys the current version 1.1 then switches to regular camera mode. What am i doing wrong?? Newbie to update firmware
02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by mcrtex Quote
Not sure if it is me or my ability to get a computer to do what it's susposed to do. I copied to my computer then to an SD card, checked it is there, and when I follow the directions it doesn't work.
I put the sd card in camera, turn it on while holding the menu button down, It displasys the current version 1.1 then switches to regular camera mode. What am i doing wrong?? Newbie to update firmware
You need to extract the file that you download from Pentax. Double click on it on your computer and it will ask where you want to extract it to. The file that you need will be in there.