Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Tamron 70-300mm AF

Hi

Having recently purchased the above lens for my K-r I have noticed a small problem!
about 70% of the time when taking a photo (which incidentally looks fine) the viewfinder will show a blurry image, even though the camera thinks it is in focus. The image in the viewfinder is also slightly darker than normal.
The shutter will fire but produce a drastically over exposed image.

however if, instead of shooting again, I wait, after about 10 seconds there is like a 'double clack' from the mirror, and all looks well again.
It is like something is getting stuck somewhere.
The contacts on the lens and body are all clean.

Still a bit new to all this!

Any guidance appreciated!

Cheers

Dave

02-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi - do you mean viewfinder or lcd?
02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
In the viewfinder
02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Ari
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what the double - clack sound could be (I am slightly familiar with the lens); I am not sure how the lens could cause any mirror lockup issues. I would, though, check to see if your viewfinder is in focus (there is a small shifter above it that will do that for you) and make sure there are no issue with the viewfinder focus mechanism. If it is looser than it should be, anything, from a mirror move to moving the body could cause it to go out of focus. Hope this helps.

02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Thanks for replying!
The double clack sound is definitely the mirror flipping up and down again.
The image in the viewfinder is normally in focus, it just goes out of focus after taking a photo.
Even though it *looks* out of focus, I think the camera itself is in focus as the shutter will fire.
It is difficult to tell if the resultant image is properly in focus as it is so overexposed.
It os a really odd problem!
My only other lenses are the kit lenses and they work just fine.
I was wondering if the lens may be faulty in some way, but I bought it from Jessops, and they went bust last month :-/
02-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have also just noticed that after taking a photo, looking through the viewfinder I see the aperture setting is flashing.
after the mirror flick back up and down it goes steady.
02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
AND, I have just had the mirror lock in the up position.
some noise coming from the body. I had to drop the battery to reset.
This happened twice, both when shooting fairly rapidly
02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Ari
Site Supporter

My guess is it's something to do with the lens mount, transferring bad information to the body. Even though this isn't something I've ever heard a third - party lens do (though they do have a host of problems from time to time).

02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
I guess it must be something along those lines.
You get what you pay for I suppose, but my skills do not really warrant spending hundreds on a lens
I should perhaps take it back, but as the whole chain of stores went bust, it may prove tricky.
I will email the administrators tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have that lens and have used it without issues on both my Kr and Km. Before taking it back I would check several things. Make sure the option in menu C item 22 is set at permitted (2). Check that the lens aperture ring is set on A. If those are set then check the aperture lever on the lens and make sure it is not bent and moves freely while opening and closing the aperture blades. Compare the aperture lever to your kit lens and make sure it is not bent. I have seen several past post where mirror issues were caused by bent aperture lever see below.

Hans
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40X  Photo 
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi Hans thanks for the reply.
I already had option 2 set to use the aperture ring so I had a look at the lever.
I looked straight at first glance but on closer inspection I thought it *could* have been leaning out slightly.
I gave it a careful slight tweak, and the problem so far appears resolved!
Light faded too much now, but I will give it a proper work out another time.
It's odd but the problem happened *much* less often in flash mode..
Thanks for the tip!

Dave
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good Luck, the lens is a good performer and works quite well for me. One other thing that could also help with your problem is that some people have found that the mirror problem only happens with the Lithium battery and go's away when AA's are used. I would recommend getting the AA adapter anyway but get the 3rd party adapter for about $7 from amazon or ebay it is a great option. Pick up some Eneloops they work best in my Km and Kr at Costco great price.

Hans

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Batteries-Holder-Adapter-Bracket-for-PENTAX-K-R-K...-/251026598280

http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-D-BH109-BATTERY-HOLDER-PENTAX/dp/B00AAQXGLE/ref=pd_cp_p_1

Last edited by hnikesch; 02-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.
02-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
I had been considering the AA battery holder for our next holiday, more as a 'just in case' really, but will get one to try.
Thanks for the links, I have never been too sure of buying from ebay from far east sellers, but the price is certainly better than the official Pentax make 30 in the UK!
Cheers
Dave