Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

K-r settings for high speed photos

Hi all. There's a superbike practice day at my local raceway next month and I'm going to try my hand at taking some pictures. I'm pretty new to photography with a DSLR. I know that my K-r has a SCN setting for fast moving objects but if I wanted to do things a bit more manually what settings would you recommend?

02-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not sure, just flip the camera to Sports scene mode. If you know the exposure settings you need to get the shots you want, use that semi-automatic or M mode and ensure all lens and aberration corrections in the menu have been switched off, as these increase photo processing time and slow down the camera's ability to continuously shoot. If you need a lot of continuous shooting, I'd suggest shooting in JPEG rather than RAW.
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Set focus to AF-C
Set exposure mode to TV probably 1/500 or faster.
Drive mode to Hi

You may also want to set shutter release priority instead of focus priority...

Sounds like fun
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You might also try panning, which is following the target with the camera. If you do it right, the target is sharp and foreground and background look like they are whizzing by, so you get a sense of speed. Panning works with a slower shutter speed, something like 1/30 or 1/60. The slow shutter speed helps a lot if you don't have a super-expensive lens, because you can shoot at something like f5.6 or f8, and still have a good exposure at lower ISOs.

Tv mode is probably a good mode for either Mattt's suggestion (fast shutter speed) or mine. That allows you to directly set the shutter speed with the e-dial, so you can quickly go from freezing motion to panning shots. If the light is not great, you may need to raise ISO, or use Auto ISO. I would use the center focus point only for AF, try and keep the target centered, and leave room for cropping later in processing. That saves the camera time in focusing and keeps it from focusing on something irrelevant.

If your target has a lot of solid reds or blues in bright sunlight, look at your RGB histogram to make sure those colors aren't getting completely over-exposed.

02-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and advice - much appreciated.