Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #1

Control Shutter release

Hi,
I recently bought Pentax kr and started experimenting it. I can set set the shutter to minimum of 30 sec and not more than that. I was browsing net and found there are some commercially available devices using by which I can control the shutter release. That is I can increase the shutter timing beyond this. However I am not sure if they are really does the job. That's why I am reaching out on this forum to know if anyone has any experience with these(good or bad).

03-04-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AFAIK the only way to achieve exposures longer than 30s is to use bulb mode (B). In that mode the exposure lasts as long as shutter button remains pressed. This in practice is very cumbersome and also results in image shake. That's why bulb mode is used with triggers be it wired, infra red or radio.

The wired triggers require dedicated plug on camera and usually have a button that can be locked and shutter will remain open as long as you don't unlock it.

Infra red triggers usually work so that you have to long press the button to leave the shutter open as long as you don't press the button again.

Radio triggers also require dedicated plug and work the same way as wired triggers but usually lack the lock option to lock shutter button.

If you'll be shopping for third party wired or radio triggers you can get the ones made for Canon as Canon and Pentax have the same plug.
03-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for replying me. Can you name some third party devices that achieves this.
03-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You also get timers where you can set the start time, duration of exposure, etc. I think Pentax only ever made one for the MZ-S and 645NII. There may be other ones out there, but you would have to check the plugs fro compatibility. The options listed above might be a better bet.

03-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I checked the manual and K-r doesn't have the remote plug, so your only option is IR remote. I don't have any recommendations here. Get one from Ebay.

OTOH it seems that K-r doesn't require the button to be pressed the whole time. More here.
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
K-r doesn't have the remote plug, so your only option is IR remote.
Sort of true. Actually you can create a device that will work with anything that uses a simple electric switch - that would include external timers. An old mechanical darkroom lamp timer would be easily adapted and would create an accurate timer for situations where you would otherwise be doing bulb exposures manually.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

If I can find the time, I'd like to try rigging a switch triggered by a rapid change in light levels (e.g., lightning or fireworks) to plug into my modified IR remote.
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
AFAIK the only way to achieve exposures longer than 30s is to use bulb mode (B). In that mode the exposure lasts as long as shutter button remains pressed. This in practice is very cumbersome and also results in image shake. That's why bulb mode is used with triggers be it wired, infra red or radio.

The wired triggers require dedicated plug on camera and usually have a button that can be locked and shutter will remain open as long as you don't unlock it.

Infra red triggers usually work so that you have to long press the button to leave the shutter open as long as you don't press the button again.

Radio triggers also require dedicated plug and work the same way as wired triggers but usually lack the lock option to lock shutter button.

If you'll be shopping for third party wired or radio triggers you can get the ones made for Canon as Canon and Pentax have the same plug.
Thanks mate,
I just ordered the following from eBay
IR Remote Control for Pentax KR KX KM K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D 645D ist DL DS ( 180935588501 )
Very chap. Hope this helps.
03-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all for your valuable suggession.

03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

I haved used a wired remote with my IST & K200 and taken some really good photo's at night with no added light. You must use a tripod for these. If you can see to walk you may not need more than 30 seconds. Experiment & remmeber that kight is adivitive. I've found that digital is very forgiveing about going too long of exposure. I have not figured out how to post photo's yet or would do so.
03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

Here are two night time photos
1) ISO 1600 30 sec @ F4 at 940 pm at very dark location, nearest artifical light was approx 1 mile away, also no moon.
2) ISO-1600 20 sec at F38 at partial lit Vetrans Park Light was in parking lot
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
Great pics. Hope I will come up with such photos.