Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Are these sensor spots?

G'day,

Attached are two versions of the same image. When I take a shot it looks, in colour, similar to the colour jpeg below. But when I convert it to monochrome, as I nearly always do, a ton of spots appear in the sky. I've been scrupulous about cleaning my lenses, but are these spots sensor spots?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

They aren't the stains that affected the K-5, but they do appear to be on the sensor if as you say the lens is clear.
03-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Tom. What stains affected the K-5?
03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You will almost never be able to see spots on the lens on your images actually, only in very rare and special cases but thats outside normal shooting range so this is clearly on the sensor.

03-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leehopkins Quote
Thanks, Tom. What stains affected the K-5?
There were stains on early batches of the sensors that were reportedly burn in marks. What you shared appear to be dust bunnies running amok on your sensor. Try your ultrasonic cleaning routine in the menus a couple of times. If not then a rocket blower or Pentax lollipop is called for.
03-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had spots like these on my K-7 back when I had it and just did multiple cleaning cycles over and over again until they vanished.
03-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Banned

I'd try a second lens even efore trying any type of sensor cleaning - even the built in "device".

If by chance you don't have a second lens, then perhaps someone you might know close to you that can let you borrow it for a few test pics. Even if there are any camera shops in the world that still physically stock either Pentax camera bodies and/or lens' migh tbe able to help. For instance a good relationship with a local camera store might just allow you to borrow a lens for a few minutes and a few test pics.

In any test pics be sure the change the camera orientation, between vertical and horizonal and even off axis. This will give you a much better idea of where to look on a lens or sensor. Hopefully it is on either a lens or even the (dreaded) filter as opposed to the sensor.
03-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yes, it's dirt on the sensor. Sensor dirt (ie dust, known as dustbunnies) shows up far more than dirt on the lens, especially closed down. Eclipse 'wet' cleaning with swabs is a good way to deal with it (that's what I do), or you can use different cleaning methods (like arctic butterfly which didn't really work for me) or have it cleaned as a service by camera shops.

03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Stop the a lens down to f22 and take a picture of the sky then go look at the image zoomed in. You will see all your sensor dust.
03-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It's just dust, get a good blower bulb to remove it. Don't expect the sensor autoclean to make up for poor Camera Hygiene.
The last thing you should do is some kind of brush or pad, never needed it on 3 bodies in over 4 Years.
Get into the habit of dusting around the lens before changing it and giving a blow to the lens and inside at each change over.
Use a soft Makeup brush to clean around the lens mount area before removing it, if you use the blower it will just
push it inside.
03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yep... looks like a major case of sensor crud to me. Here's how I get rid of it.

I'd try the rocket blower first, then clean it with a brush if necessary.

Good luck & cheers,
Bob :-)
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

As pointed out above a sky shot at f22 is a good way to find sensor spots. Indoors, a bright wall or a white sheet of paper can work, also, to test the results of sensor cleaning.
03-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
As pointed out above a sky shot at f22 is a good way to find sensor spots. Indoors, a bright wall or a white sheet of paper can work, also, to test the results of sensor cleaning.
Thanks