Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

Best Tripod for Pentaxk-r

Dear all,
I got my k-r few weeks back. Started experimenting wiit. Now that I am in look out for a tripod. Ca you please suggest some good ones.
My requirement is :
Night photography.
Indoor use for portrait
Outdoor landscape
Occasionally long exposure photography.

Having said these I don't want want to invest too much on a tripod as I am an amateur and don't get much time for photography.

03-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod are really personal, in height, in budget and other features. They are not camerabased.

There are many manufacturers and models out there. Typical beginnermodels can be found at Velbon (sherpa series), Redged and Vanguard for instance. You also want to consider what kind of head you want to go with it. Personnally I prefer ballheads but that`s just a matter of taste.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 03-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.
03-06-2013, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The K-r is a pretty light camera so almost any tripod will work. Except for maybe unbranded no name ones.
Maybe try Giottos, thats a relatively popular brand thats not too expensive. You will need to put more thought into tripods if you are planning on using special lenses (huge lenses) or in special conditions (like on long trekking trips) or for specific usage (like panning scenes).
There are some differences between tripod heads, but for now just choose one that you find is easy to use. I stay away from ballheads, but some people like them. Guess it depends on how big the ball is. And how well it holds in place.
The problem is that there are many many kinds of tripods and brands, and some allow you mix and match parts, others dont. Make sure its not too light (bendy and breakable) and it has a brand name. Keep in mind that a tripod is a good investment and a good one can outlive your camera, or you can sell it off later. If you buy a really cheap one, you shouldnt expect it to last very long.
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Tripod are really personal, in height, in budget and other features. They are not camerabased.

There are many manufacturers and models out there. Typical beginnermodels can be found at Velbon (sherpa series), Redged and Vanguard for instance. You also want to consider what kind of head you want to go with it. Personnally I prefer ballheads but that`s just a matter of taste.
I know this is the US amazon site, but this is an inexpensive entry that should serve as a good trial if you can find it on your side of the planet!

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Don't spend a ton the first go. If you find you really appreciate what a tripod gives you and think you will regularly use one for a long time, it is the type of purchase (with the exception of a trial set) you should try to make once. If you spend the proper amount on a solid setup, it should last for many, many years.

03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What lenses do you own? Do any of them have their own tripod mounts? Knowing the weight of your kit is important in making the right tripod recommendation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies,
Presently I have 18-55dal and 55-300 da lens. In future I may add:
1. Couple of prime lenses
2. A 2x teleconverter for 55-300 mm da lens
3. A cpl filter for 18-55 mm lens
03-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
That's a nice advise mate. Thank you.
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

I have serveral tripods that I use for different reasons. A litgher one when I have to carry it a long ways. For my time photo's I use a Manfrotto with a ball grip head, it was expensive but rock solid and will do the splits to get low if needed. A lightwieght one can shake or tremble with the wind and a cheap ball head will slip. On all tripods extend the neck or top last, next to last would be the smallest diameter legs, then the next bigger, always the biggest diameter first. Try different models if you can, In my area you can find used ones at pawn shops and craigslist(online personal ads)
Good luck

03-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
My i know which Manfrontto model you use ?
03-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I know this is the US amazon site, but this is an inexpensive entry that should serve as a good trial if you can find it on your side of the planet!

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Don't spend a ton the first go. If you find you really appreciate what a tripod gives you and think you will regularly use one for a long time, it is the type of purchase (with the exception of a trial set) you should try to make once. If you spend the proper amount on a solid setup, it should last for many, many years.
Or be prepared to waste that mony. A $45 kit looks promising but what good is it if parts start falling off after a half year? It does give the opportunity to find out what you like or not.

My first kit was something similair like that and after a short time the clips of the legs came off. After that I invested in a Manfrotto 55 XproB. Not cheap but also not overly expensive and very sturdy. It has seen some extensive (ab)use for over 5 years now and it`s still als good as the day I bought it. It`s a little big and heavy so it`s not ment for travelling (got a Redged RTB-424 for that)

I don`t know your budget but I would suggest something like $100-150 for a decent one.
03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a cheapy option I've been using a Hama Star 61 and found it meets all the basics.
03-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #12

Sydnysider, I have a manfrotto o55xprob tripod with a 322rc2 head. I started witha conventional pan head but ir did not meet my needs. The ball gripp has adjustable tension so if it gets loose you can tighten it up. This tripod stays in a vehicle all the time and has not shown any wear. They are expensive but it will be the last one I buy. It is heavy but solid as a rock.
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Or be prepared to waste that mony. A $45 kit looks promising but what good is it if parts start falling off after a half year? It does give the opportunity to find out what you like or not.

My first kit was something similair like that and after a short time the clips of the legs came off. After that I invested in a Manfrotto 55 XproB. Not cheap but also not overly expensive and very sturdy. It has seen some extensive (ab)use for over 5 years now and it`s still als good as the day I bought it. It`s a little big and heavy so it`s not ment for travelling (got a Redged RTB-424 for that)

I don`t know your budget but I would suggest something like $100-150 for a decent one.
Actually, that particular tripod is quite good (the Dolica). Had mine for over 3 years and nothing has fallen off of it yet. I've used it with my Bigma a couple of times. Perfect beginner tripod.
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

$100-150 is wasting money on a tripod to me. I recommended a $45 tripod to see if it is something the OP would actually find useful. From there anything short of about $400-500 is an interim solution. At that price, you'll get a tripod and head that will last a good long time. If the OP spends $45 on a tripod and finds they don't appreciate using a tripod, they are only out $45. Being out $150 on something you find you don't use is another story. Just trying to be pragmatic!

Last edited by pxpaulx; 03-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
$100-150 is wasting money on a tripod to me. I recommended a $45 tripod to see if it is something the OP would actually find useful. From there anything short of about $400-500 is an interim solution. At that price, you'll get a tripod and head that will last a good long time. If the OP spends $45 on a tripod and finds they don't appreciate using a tripod, they are only out $45. Being out $150 on something you find you don't use is another story. Just trying to be pragmatic!
Offcourse and I totally agree with you on the $400-500 range but don`t get me wrong here.
IMHO it`s better to buy something a little better and sell it afterwards to upgrade or get some cash back, instead of buying something that doesn`t feel or works good in the first place and throw it right in the garbage like I did. But that`s just me, the OP must decide that for himself

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Actually, that particular tripod is quite good (the Dolica). Had mine for over 3 years and nothing has fallen off of it yet. I've used it with my Bigma a couple of times. Perfect beginner tripod.
Never heard or seen this brand but if that the case that`s pretty good for a $45 dollar tripodkit. If it can hold a bigma I`m very impressed.
Maybe I was to fast in my verdict that cheap tripod can`t work (I`ve had 2 sub €75,- tripods and they were both shitty and flimsy)