Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Weird Exposure Issue with Pentax K-r

Greetings,

Recently I'm experiencing a weird exposure inaccuracy problem in some of the semi-auto and auto exposure modes with my K-r.

The situation is as follows:
Say i'm using an Av mode, with ISO800 and f/5.6, the camera gives 1/50.
But just before I press the shutter button, the speed changes to 1/5, even though I didn't change my focus points or position at all. This makes my images blur and overexpose most of the time.

And when I try to shoot outdoor, say with ISO200, f/8, the camera gives 1/200. But when I view the image captured, it is overexposed and the shutter speed is 1/60.

I already reset the exposure compensation to 0, and I have reset the menu as well.
Tried with AUTO mode as well, the same problem persists.

Such problem does not exist when I use the Manual mode, and the Green Button gives me the correct exposure as usual without any problem.

When I checked, this problem happens when I use the original lithium battery provided with the K-r. Because this thing never happens when I use the AA batteries with adapter.

My gadget is as follows:
1. Pentax K-r (white)
2. DAL 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
3. Original lithium battery or Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries
4. Firmware: 1.13. Already changed back to 1.11 and the same problem still occurs

Example of photo as attached. That photo was taken in AUTO Mode (the camera detected Portrait), no modification done with the Exposure Compensation, yet the photo turned out to be overexpose, where the correct shutter speed should be around 1/50~1/60 to get the correct exposure. but the camera gives 1/8 just before I pressed the shutter button.

It is so annoying to have the overexposed photos in AUTO mode, with the original battery some more. Last time the issue was the weird stop down metering with manual lens when using the original battery, and now this?

I hope Pentax can solve this issue ASAP, maybe by introducing a new firmware.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I knew this sounded familiar... there was a thread similiar to this a while back. You can read it here. In their case I guess it turned out to be that the drive mode was set to auto bracketing. But, there was lots of good things to check for in that thread.
03-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
I knew this sounded familiar... there was a thread similiar to this a while back. You can read it here. In their case I guess it turned out to be that the drive mode was set to auto bracketing. But, there was lots of good things to check for in that thread.
if the drive was set to auto bracketing, my camera will snap at least 3 photos, regardless of the battery type used. as I mentioned in the first post, I already reset the menu, and this thing only happens when using the original lithium battery
03-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with HockeyDad, it sounds like its set up of a 3 or 5 exposure bracket. In this case, you would have to press the shutter 3 or 5 times instead of the camera shooting them all automatically. Double, triple check that.

03-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
double, triple checked on the bracketing. nope, the drive was and still is set on the single shot. never tuned them to Contnuous Lo/Hi or bracketing shot since I never use them
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kalakatu Quote
double, triple checked on the bracketing. nope
Well I get points for remembering that thread from 2011 at least right?

Anyway, on to the issue at hand... I am not knowledgeable enough to know all the ins and outs here but if manual mode works, then for some reason the camera is deciding to slow the shutter speed way down when you give it control but it isn't molesting your setting in M mode. That makes me think it really "thinks" it need that slower shutter and it's deciding that at the last second as your pressing the shutter. Further, you say it is only doing this with the original battery. Could there be a voltage issue where the Eneloops provide enough juice to overcome whatever is going on and the original battery is just weak enough to allow the problem? No, I don't have any reason for saying the following, just grabbing at straws here, but, does it do this with every lens? Have you tried cleaning the contacts between the 18-55 and the camera? Does the aperture actuation lever on the lens feel "sticky" if you move it by hand or look bent or anything?

Again just grabbing at straws as to why the camera is deciding that the scene is darker than it originally thought at the last second but by the time the exposure is complete, it wasn't so dark after all.
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #7

I am having the opposite trouble when using the auto setting. My pictures on a cloudy day are all darker than I'm used to with my K200 or IST. It is set for singlw shooting. Is there a setting to auto overexpose photos?
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by mcrtex Quote
I am having the opposite trouble when using the auto setting. My pictures on a cloudy day are all darker than I'm used to with my K200 or IST. It is set for singlw shooting. Is there a setting to auto overexpose photos?
Yes, just set exposure compensation. Alternatively you could meter on the ground, lock exposure then re-compose and shoot. Be careful though, it's very easy to blow out the sky on a cloudy day, especially shooting jpeg. I think recent pentax models err towards underexposing in these situations to avoid blown clouds etc.

To the OP, I can't imagine this is a general issue with the K-r, ie cant see a firmware fix helping. If this is the second weird problem when using your original battery then maybe it is not delivering full voltage or something? I'd ditch it & use the eneloops or get a third party Li one to try.

03-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #9

I was having trouble shooting the inside of an 18 wheeler truck rim. Ended up using my popup flash as fill & it worked. Guess I really should have gone to full manual mode which is what I like to to do but tat day I was rushed trying to take as many photos before things were moved ( crime scene where suspect was injured and being treated). Have been trying different things during the day in varying light conditions just getting used to the camera.
07-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

similar exp probs

My Kr suddenly decided to throw a fit when asked to take a pic in daylight ( tried all modes)
It flashed underexposure and some wierd shutter speed and either over exposed or refused to take the pic.
It works fine in video mode at any light level and will take pics at night or indoors if reasonably low light.
even in manual it overides the settings and throws a fit.
I am thinking it may be a software or firmware problem.
any ideas appreciated
07-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pipertony Quote
My Kr suddenly decided to throw a fit when asked to take a pic in daylight ( tried all modes)
any ideas appreciated
Try going into the menu and use the Reset function. This will repair a number of the typical camera setting flummoxes.