Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Who has installed a focusingscreen EE-S type on their K-R

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one from focusingscreen so I can make use of my Pentax A 50mm 1.4.

From those who have installed one, I'm interested to know what shims were required. Keen to see if there is a standard experience across the board on all K-r bodies. Most of the threads I have found are dominated by K-5 owners.

03-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Me! They will provide multiple shims of the same thickness, just stack accordingly as needed!
Just rmb this:

-BackFocus, thicker shim
-FrontFocus, thinner shim

03-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks SyncGuy. What shims did you end up needing? I figure the whole thing is going to be a pain so trying to judge from others what was required so I stand more chance of getting it right with few attempts.

I am planning to then test this using two techniques.

1. Using my A 50 1.4 lens. Set it to 1.4 and perform manual focus through viewfinder and then compare that to live view. Focus should be the same in each case.
2. Using my DA 35 2.4 set it to 2.4 and manual focus on something through viewfinder. Then try to autofocus. If I have it right then the autofocus should not need to move the lens.

Will probably use batteries to do the testing.

Do they sound like good tests to get it right, or is there some better way?
03-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Thanks SyncGuy. What shims did you end up needing? I figure the whole thing is going to be a pain so trying to judge from others what was required so I stand more chance of getting it right with few attempts.

I am planning to then test this using two techniques.

1. Using my A 50 1.4 lens. Set it to 1.4 and perform manual focus through viewfinder and then compare that to live view. Focus should be the same in each case.
2. Using my DA 35 2.4 set it to 2.4 and manual focus on something through viewfinder. Then try to autofocus. If I have it right then the autofocus should not need to move the lens.

Will probably use batteries to do the testing.

Do they sound like good tests to get it right, or is there some better way?
Well, they had provided me with 1 thick plastic shim and 4 thin plastic shims.
If i'm not wrong, i used only 2 thin ones.

As for the method of focus testing, don't bother doing step 2 and/or live view...

Just slap on 1 thin shim and focus via the viewfinder on a ruler/newspaper/article at around 45degrees.
You'll literally see the DoF "travelling" back and forth in the viewfinder.
Take a picture once you've focused on a line of text and compare to see if the point of focus is similar as to what you saw via the viewfinder. Then "adjust to taste"..

Remember:
-BackFocus: more shims (thin ones)
-FrontFocus: lesser shims

PS: if it's spot on for the 50/1.4, it'll definitely be spot on for the 35/2.4 or any other lenses. That focusing screen is accurate up to f/1.2, as it was designed for fast lenses. Tested and proven...

Have fun!

03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

I did a video of the installation. Made a few mistakes but got it to work in the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3TbZGsH3U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I needed 3 shims in the end which were incredibly difficult to install.

I used the ruler trick as well for adjusting the screen. Worked pretty good.

AB
03-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks AB, that video will help me a lot. Sounds like each camera is born different and I'm going to need to do some trial and error. I'll get the swear pot ready.
04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Either I got lucky, or I'm not picky enough, but I left the stock copper shim in, and focus with the EE-S was spot-on right from the start. It's really nice of them to include the extra shims just in case, though. They even include tweezers and these little latex... um... finger-gloves so you can handle the screen without smudging it. KatzEye, despite being much more expensive, doesn't include anything but a little screen-grabber tool with their screens.

I got some dust in there during the installation. Make sure you have a rocket blower to get it out.
04-15-2013, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Just wanted to update everyone following the fitting of my focus screen. Eqpt used:

- The screen (from focussingscreen.com) came with some angled tweezers, a grabber tool and some latex finger caps. It also came with 3 plastic shims.
- In advance I also purchased some latex gloves (rather than using the finger caps), a Giottos rocket blower and some Pec Pad lint free cloths.
- Following advice I saw elsewhere I "blew" the Giottos lots beforehand as someone reported that the first few times you use it it can blow little bits of rubber out.

I actually found the whole process very simple, so people should not be put off doing this. In the end I needed two of the plastic shims. The stock metal one was too thick and I then tried with no shims then a single plastic shim but found 2 plastic shims was best. Therefore 2 plastic shims are slightly thinner than the stock metal one.

I found the plastic shims pretty easy to work with but they are a bit fiddly and you have to be careful not to bend them. Also keeping dust etc off is difficult so even when I had fitted it all I saw some dust and hair and had to take it all out again to give it a blow. Easiest way to check for dust when you have fitted it is to just look through the viewfinder towards some light with no lens on.

My advice is to just make sure you have everything laid out ready and get as dust free as possible. An angled desk lamp above and behind you a bit is also good so it is shining into the camera to see what you are doing. As long as you've got fairly steady hands though and happy working with slightly fiddly bits you shouldn't be put off doing this. It really is worth it.

I can now get really good focus with my A 50mm 1.4. The screen is amazing for this. My slower lenses (18-55 kit for example) are slightly darker but not an issue. I only really use those outside anyway so no big deal. Even inside though I think they would be fine.

If you're using fast manual focus lenses this is probably the best 100 you can spend...

Last edited by thechumpen; 04-16-2013 at 12:19 AM.
12-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Quick update for anyone stumbling on this thread. I have just bought a K-5II and ordered a new S type screen from focussingscreen.com. Whereas my K-r needing some fiddling around with shims the K-5II worked with just the stock metal shim in.