Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #1

Pentax kr shutsdown

All,
I have recently bought a IR remote for Pentax k-r.

IR Remote Control for Pentax KR KX KM K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D 645D ist DL DS | eBay

basically it works. However when I set the aperture to bulb and hold the shutter opened for more than 30 sec, the camera fails to take the photo. The camera hangs and automatically it goes down. Even if I switch it off and on the camera fails to turn on. I need to remove the battery and again insert to turn the camera on. Can anyone help me. The basic idea behind buying this remote is for long exposures.

also please bear with me as I have just started my journey into the photography world.

03-23-2013, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera is most likely performing dark frame subtraction. If you have "slow shutter speed NR" enabled in the menu, it will turn on the sensor for the same amount of time as your exposure; except it will leave the shutter closed. It does this to automatically remove any noise caused by the sensor from a long exposure.
It caught me off guard when I used bulb on my K10, but my K5 will actually say "NR" on the top lcd. With a KR I guess there is no indication until it is done.
Hope this was it it and not a glitch.
03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you tried doing a 'Bulb' exposure without using the remote?
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
The camera is most likely performing dark frame subtraction. If you have "slow shutter speed NR" enabled in the menu, it will turn on the sensor for the same amount of time as your exposure; except it will leave the shutter closed. It does this to automatically remove any noise caused by the sensor from a long exposure.
It caught me off guard when I used bulb on my K10, but my K5 will actually say "NR" on the top lcd. With a KR I guess there is no indication until it is done.
Hope this was it it and not a glitch.
Thanks manacho2005,
This weekend I tried setting the NR option and it worked.

03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Have you tried doing a 'Bulb' exposure without using the remote?
No I haven't tried so far.
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

Thanks 2005 for the info. I haven't experince3d this yet but checked & mine was set to on so I changed it. Haven't got a good chance to do some night shots. Played some but all were 20 sec or less. & they worked.
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No prob!
It's a good feature and works well especially for exposures longer than a minute. Problem is that it literally doubles your workflow.