Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Nice! That's the exact same thing C.R.I.S did to my camera, except it took them two months. That was two years ago. I guess they're used to this problem by now. Have fun with your reborn K-r!

04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello to everyone.

I tried my repaired K-r today with the kit lens and I am happy that it is working fine. With the firmware upgrade, my settings got re-set. It's almost like starting all over again with a new camera, especially since not having the K-r for several weeks.

Does anyone have a link from the forum that can point me in a general direction for optimizing the camera settings (beyond the defaults) for the K-r? This might save me a little time. It truly is like starting all over again.

Thanks
04-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my brother a used K-r and set it up for him. This is mostly pasted from the email I sent him about the changes I made from default settings.

[Rec. Mode]

[1] Select AF Point - Default is 5. Maybe just the center one? A personal thing.

[3] Movie

[Shake Reduction] I turned this on, but I read later that off is preferred.

[3] Instant Review

[Display Time] - I chose 3 sec. because 1 sec. is just enough time to see the photo disappear.
[Histogram] - I like to see this as an exposure check
[Bright/Dark] - causes overexposed areas to flash red and underexposed to flash yellow. Looks weird but helps with exposure.

[4] AF/AE-L button - I set this to AE Lock. The other choices allow the button to control autofocus. My camera has a completely dedicated button for this and I still don't use it. I use the exposure lock, though.

[Custom Setting]

[1]

[Expanded sensitivity] This allows you to set the ISO to 100 on the low end or 25,600 at the top. Probably the top is pretty grainy but I like having it available. There's no penalty for using 100.

[3]

[Catch-in Focus] A cool feature that fires the camera when it detects focus and you're using a manual-focus lens. No penalty for having this on.

[4]

[Using Aperture Ring] I set this to Permitted to allow older lenses to work

[Set-up]

[2]

[Copyright Information] I set the photographer and copyright holder.

[4]

[Dust Removal] I set this to happen on startup. It feels weird but if it helps keep the sensor clean, it's worth it.

Page 87 of the manual has a list of all the Recording Menu options, page 89 has the Custom Settings, page 266 has Set-up. In my manual, I like to mark the ones I've changed from default in pencil. That way I can reset the settings and still get back to the way I want them.

I'd change some other stuff if it was my camera but that's enough to take some shots. A lot of the settings are personal preference.

I might reset the file number or folder or something to show photos taken after the repair.
04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

[Catch-in Focus] A cool feature that fires the camera when it detects focus and you're using a manual-focus lens. No penalty for having this on.

Can you elaborate on this? How does it guess where you want the focus when using manual lenses?

04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks so much@ Just One More Dave; I was afraid that some might find me lazy for asking. Probably the best thing for me is just to go and practice, practice, practice, but all the hints anyone wants to throw my way are most welcome!