Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
<5000 shutter clicks, K-r bit the dust

Hello.

I am a bit depressed since losing my K-r last week: I was out shooting when suddenly the shutter took on a life of its own, and the screen became black.

After trying everything I could think of to fix it, I must now resign myself to packaging it up for repair. I have read everything here on the forum concerning this issue when K-rs and K-5s sometimes get a crazy shutter symptom.

My viewfinder is black.
Whenever I turn on the camera, the shutter goes off all by itself, at least two times. I look through the viewfinder: black. The shutter keeps firing, all by itself.

I have contacted C.R.I.S repair. Unfortunately, this was an ebay purchase, and I am having a rough time getting a proof of purchase from the seller.

Any advice? Thanks so much. It has been humbling and frustrating, having to go back to my point-and-shoot.

03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tired taking out the battery for an extended time?
03-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not for an extended time, but I swapped batteries (I have two), and no difference. I'll try what you said.
03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this problem to an extent, where my mirror would flop every time I had an m42 manual lens on the k-r, but it would only flop when I pressed a button (it didn't matter which). I got an AA battery adapter from china for $3, bought some rechargeable AA's and the problem is now non existent in both my lenses.

It might be worth finding out if this will be a solution to your problem before you send it out. Your case does sound more severe though, and the AA batteries would really only be a temporary fix in most cases.

03-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I sent the camera to C.R.I.S. on Monday and also contacted the seller who seems to be cooperative and engaged. We are both waiting to hear the diagnosis. I believe something went awry in the electronics associated with the shutter and mirror. The K-r became impossible to use with the mirror locked up and the shutter firing erratically whenever it was turned on.

I am well within the 1-year warranty that Pentax offers for repair or replacement on all its cameras. The issue is that I hope I can get coverage for the repair. The seller seems to be interested in sending me a new K-r if I I am denied warranty coverage and cannot afford the repair on my own.
03-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

My first KR did the same thing less than 1000 shots after purchase. I just brought it back to the retailer (Blacks) here in Canada and they exchanged the camera. I first thought it was the motor in the 18-55 lens because the fault would disappear when I used any of my other lenses but quit completely shortly after. I'm glad I held on to my K100D
03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I wish I had another Pentax DSLR in the meantime. Well, I do have the K1000 vintage film camera, but this is an age of immediacy we live in ... and things have to be real slow around here for me to use a manual film camera. Still waiting to hear from C.R.I.S.
03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The K1000 was my first camera as well. I had to give it up because after getting older focusing the camera became much more hit and miss mostly miss thank god for auto focus

03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

I had the same thing this summer. I was shooting a band at a festival on the main stage pit with my K-r and all of a sudden it started doing that. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they didn't see anything wrong with it. It worked for a while and then again the same thing! The weekend was ruined and I was taking photos for a newspaper so it was pretty much a fail for the festivals the next two weekends in a row.. I sent it over to get it fixed and the part that was broken cost 17 euros, but the repair was almost 300 euros for the work. Thank god for travel insurance that covered the whole thing..
03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm glad it didn't happen when I was shooting anything important; I was asked to photograph a family for a local newspaper story just a few weeks ago. No, I was outside playing with the cats (my most loyal subjects) and photographing them when the lockup occurred.
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had the same issue about a week after I bought my K-r. At first, it sounded like it would take several pictures when I only pressed the shutter once, and pictures came out randomly overexposed. A few days later, the camera started flapping the mirror twice when I turned it on, and pressing any button would result in the mirror just flapping over and over. It wasn't possible to take any pictures.

C.R.I.S. fixed it under warranty. They said they replaced the aperture control unit, which didn't make any sense to me, but it's worked fine ever since.

Funny, I live walking distance from C.R.I.S. now. Want me to pop by and ask 'em how your camera is doing?
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@scratchpaddy: That is a very generous offer. I have been emailing C.R.I.S. customer support regularly. My tracked packaged arrived in Chandler, AZ on March 28; I got a work order today, April 1, 2013.

So, my gloominess is brightening up a little.

When I went to their online site just now to check on the progress, it said "Under Warranty" and "$0" for the estimate, so that is excellent news.

Thanks for all the replies. It's great to know others are out there who have experienced this situation and who want to send a few words of encouragement.

Last edited by timmijo; 04-01-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update info
04-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
@scratchpaddy: That is a very generous offer. I have been emailing C.R.I.S. customer support regularly. My tracked packaged arrived in Chandler, AZ on March 28; I got a work order today, April 1, 2013.

So, my gloominess is brightening up a little.

When I went to their online site just now to check on the progress, it said "Under Warranty" and "$0" for the estimate, so that is excellent news.

Thanks for all the replies. It's great to know others are out there who have experienced this situation and who want to send a few words of encouragement.
I hope you know I wasn't serious. I mean, I have no problem going to C.R.I.S., but I seriously doubt they'd give me the status of another customer's order.

It is nice living right here, though. I know that if something goes wrong, I can just march down the street and get it fixed at the country's main Pentax repair center.

I used to live in the Atlanta area, which is where KEH is located. I went there once, but they're not really geared towards walk-ins. It's just a warehouse with a call center in the front. They have a receptionist, but no storefront, and no way to try out lenses. However, they do offer 2-day local shipping for only $7, as long as you order by phone. Just a heads-up to anyone around Atlanta.

Back on topic, it's good that they've given you the estimate. Even better, it's free! It might take them a while to diagnose the problem (it took them about a month for mine), but once they do, you'll have it back very soon. Let me know what the problem was. Mine was a bad aperture control unit.
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
C.R.I.S. replaced the aperture control unit, cleaned it as per Pentax warranty, did a firmware update, and shipped my K-r back to me on 4-5-13; it should arrive by Friday—day after tomorrow—yippee!
04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Congratz!