Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens for a Kr ??

My first post,
I picked up an old Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens from Craigslist, just received it today. Its very clean good condition with all its parts, $95.00. Only thing is it dos not fit my camera.
where can I find more information on the mounts for these lenses. The guy sold it as fitting a Pentax. So my 95 dollar question is what Pentax cameras would couple with this lens and would there be a work around for fitting to my Kr.
I'm so disappointed right now ! .

03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you take a pic of the mount?
03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes! it looks right but when inserted you cant line up the dots and when its in it wont turn but just slightly.
Attached Images

03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here is another,

Attached Images

03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks kind of Nikon-like to me. There's a partly obscured screw in the side of the mount at about 12:30 in your photo, and some stuff between bayonet lugs and the rear element that looks wrong for a K-mount. Plus that button at about 4:30 and no slot for the lens locking pin.

If you have already bought the thing, since it's a mirror lens, it can probably be adapted to fit your camera. Mirror lenses have no aperture control so all you need is the lens to stay on the mount and infinity focus. If it's a Nikon mount, the infinity focus should not be an issue. A little Dremel work should get it to mount.
03-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
I wouldn't hesitate to do some grinding it it would work. Ill have to look at some Nikon / Canon mounts or perhaps try it on them. Then see about finding an adapter or refitting the lens slightly. In any case I need to know what it goes to first ?
03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lot of mirror lenses are also made kind of universal... you may be able to get away with just doing a mount swap if you have a junk lens laying around somewhere.
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
Like that idea rather than add more between the glass and camera. Here is one last pic. of comparison to my Kit lens vs the Sigma.

Attached Images

03-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #9

I bought a similar lens a couple of years ago and the firm sold adapters to fit any popular camera. When I get home I will look & see if I can find who it was, maybe 47th St Photo or Adorama. I've used it for wildlife pictures on my ISTD and it worked pretty good. I also was given one from a friend that fits a minolta film camera, haven't figured out what to do with it yet.
03-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #10

Just went to amazon.com and looked it up, it was 47th St Photo that sells these lens along with a T-mount adapter for specific cameras. It's like mounting a telescope to your camera with an adapter. They sell for fairly cheap. I use one to mount my 80 mm Orion Telescope for photos ( still learning to focus it and adjusting settings).
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
I dont believe this one is set up to take a T mount. Those I believe are the newer ones.
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ill have to take a look . I thing the newer ones take a T Mount though.
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most other mirror lenses use a T-mount system. I think the Sigma uses a dedicated mount. I squinted at a lot of eBay photos of these but never found one at a decent price.

The mount matters because that will tell you what the intended registration distance is, the distance between the mount and the sensor/film. That matters because it affects infinity focus. Nikon's distance is greater than Pentax, so a Nikon mount lens won't need adjustment to reach infinity. A Contax/Yashica mount will be exactly right. A lot of the other popular bayonets are shorter than Pentax, but this mount doesn't resemble those. You probably have a few options:

- Fiddle with the mount you have until it fits. The screw in the side probably has to go first. An old film camera or extension tube is handy for testing the fit.

- Buy a chrome flanged M42-K adapter, unscrew the current mount, use it as a template to locate the mounting holes, drill some new holes in the adapter and attach that. You might have to countersink the new holes.

- The two older Sigma lenses that I have seem to use the same three-screw mount. An old worthless Sigma might provide a donor mount.
03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

Original Poster
I tried removing the side screw and then removing the aperture arm (no reason for it as I can see), nothing ! Looking around last night, eBay I really could not make any connections that would work straight out (Im sure there is some re-fit piece that will work). After finally removing the ring from lens It became less obscure to me. It looks that simple,
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
- Buy a chrome flanged M42-K adapter,
Except they look rather thin and aluminum. I thought if I purchase a T2 Mount, I may be able to use a telescope eye pices with the lens later ... and it will also give me a little more distance for that,
distance between the mount and the sensor/film
, I can add or remove paper shims until I find the sweet spot, or remove some of the T2 thickness. If Im adding to much with the T2 perhaps the M42-K adapter is the answer. I removed the ring last night, leaned the lens against a wall and coupled the camera with. I actually got a reasonably good picture in an under lighted room with long exposure !! Lastly the nice thing about this is I have not chopped up the original parts. . . . . .So from your statement,
A lot of the other popular bayonets are shorter than Pentax,
, Ill assume that I will need more gap between lens and camera, Ill start from there.
If there is any interest I can post some pics of the development in a new thread or come back here in a week or two.
I know there are a lot of short comings from this lens, but I feel the extra work will be worth while + I don't mind the extra work.

Than ks for the help !

Last edited by Moonolyth; 03-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.