Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Dust or Other Problem? K-R

Hello,
I just bought secondhand pentax k-r with 6k actuations. But when I make picture (white paper or gray sky) I can see dust or sensor(?) problem. It is first my camera and me need understand were are the problem or need just clean dust. When I take dust picture with camera, it is show me dust in other place.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
it is dust. k-r have minor problems with dust, you just need to clean your sensor.
and yes that "dust checker" is unreliable.
04-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

Get a rocket blower! That's dust, but the rocket blower should take care of it.
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Looks like dust on the sensor I'm afraid, well it's not expensive to resolve and it's the bain of all digital photographers.

As VoiceOfReason suggests, a good scoosh with rocket blower to see you can get it shifted, but you may end up just relocating it.

Then you'll need to clean the sensor, just search the forum, for lots of information as to how to go about this.

04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for Help! Just one more stupid question
If rocket blow not help what equipment you recommend to clean sensor?
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Sensor Swabs and Eclipse cleaning fluid. If you Google those names you should find the right variations for your camera. That's called a wet clean, using some kind of fluid and wiping it off. There are at least a half-dozen other mainstream products and other methods out there which real people use. I would look into it before leaping to follow my lead. Some methods may involve more than you are willing to do.

I change lenses a lot. When I lived in Hawaii and had a camera without a sensor shaker, I would clean the sensor every two months or so. When I moved to Colorado, I cut that way down. My K-7 has a very effective shaker so it took two years before I got a spot that was too stubborn for the rocket blower.
07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

hello everybody

I'm having some troubles with my K-r that I have now since Feb-2012,

since last year there have been small black points on all my pictures,

oups since yesterday there are a few more and one of the earliest ones got way bigger, I'll post two pictures here taken with 2 different lenses

(with 300mm)

and

(500mm)

Also since the other black points appeared and one of them got way bigger, the camera does not react at all as it used to be just before,

before I could take clear pictures of the planes cruising with 1/500 and 200ISO, but since those black points these specifications just return me a totally black picture, I have to reduce to 1/350 and increase the ISO to at least 1600............... pictures are now crappy,.........

what is it and what can I do?...................

Thank you so much................

Fabien
07-05-2013, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two Times the Trouble?

Hello Fabien, Welcome to the Forum.
Sounds like you have two different problems. The first one is (was?) dust on the sensor, see the earlier posts on this thread for solutions.
Next, the dark photos; My guess is you either changed something on the settings (Ev comp?) or the dirt stained the sensor. I've never heard of a stain that big or having such a major effect, but I guess it could happen.
First thing first; Get a Rocket blower and clean the sensor. There are online tutorials and videos everywhere for this.
Next, check the rear element of your lens. Clean it with the Rocket and make this a habit.
Re-set the camera settings to default and take some sky photos. If you're still having problems, post the photos here, we'll try to help.
Good Luck!
Ron

07-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #9

thank you so much Ron!!

I will try this!!!

Kind Regards

Fabien
07-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #10

I've bought a rocket blower today, I will try it tomorrow night (too late today).

Thank you so much for the EV compensation' tip, in fact indeed in 'M' mode the EV compensation is now set at -3, I have no clue how I got there lol.....

I've spent the whole evening trying to reset it at 0 or a little over 0, I didn't find
I also tried online here
EV compensation in 'M' mode on K-r,

the user seems to descibe exactly what I need but I don't get actually what the answer is,.........

Could anyone help me (step by step please lol...) on how to modify the EV compensation in 'M' mode?........

Thank you so much.........

Fabien
07-06-2013, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ev Comp Change?

Hello Fabien,
Glad to hear you got a rocket blower, this will help greatly. I use mine all the time, don't wait for the spots to appear, just keep the mirror box and sensor clean before you find a batch of ruined shots!
I don't own a K-R, but compensation on both the K10D and K-7 is the same;
Holding the camera normally (ready to shoot), on the right-hand side, either the top of the back panel or near the shutter-release button, there's a square button, with a diagonal line dividing it. Half black, half white.
Press the shutter button halfway, to light up the LCD.
Press the square button. A bar graph should appear on the LCD, flashing. A light meter, with a center line (correct exposure, according to the meter) and a dark line showing where you have your current setting.
While holding that button down, turn the thumbwheel. "Right is Light" (lighter picture, or overexposure). Left is Dark, darker photo or underexposure.
When you have the compensation setting adjusted to your satisfaction (I suggest you try the center, at least for this test) press "OK".
It will stay where set, even if you turn the camera off or change modes...Beware!
Good Luck!
Ron
07-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats quite a bit of dust. You might want to invest in some good tools for dust removal. It will make the camera much more enjoyable to use. And some of the cleaning tools can be used for a long time, even the cameras you get after. Think of it as a learning experience, just read up on some threads on this topic and you should be fine.

And about dark photos - make sure your lens and camera mount are clean. Make sure your lens doesn't have sticky aperture blades.
07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #13

thank you so much again!!!

I've just operated the rocket blower, OMG it worked so well!!! just a few seconds of it and yet ALL black points have disappeared!!!

I am so Happy thank you very much!!! Also I figured the darknesses of the pictures out........

Fabien